general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Doc

Re: Pirates sign Michael A Taylor.

Post by Doc »

Surgnbuck wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:09 am
Doc wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:54 pm
Surgnbuck wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:56 am
He's hitting 90 HR's with 70 errors, 50 stolen bases, 150 RBI. I'm okay with that
Would you still be okay with it if he booted a routine ground ball, or made a poor throw, in a tied game with a runner on third in the bottom of the ninth of the seventh game of a playoff series? I know that's quite the exaggeration but my point is that steady, reliable defense, especially at shortstop, is always absolutely critical regardless of the offense created by that player. Preventing a run has the exact same value as producing a run.
If it got to that point, it was probably because he kept them in the game as it was in the first place. Just flipping the coin on you. In other words, sh*t happens. Think about Buckner and the Red Sox fans. Would they even have been in that position in the first place without him?

Let me ask you this: What if Cruz was what you described, not only a steady defender, but became gold glove caliber, and still made that error?

I'd be happy to take my chances with it.
My initial point was that I’m still not confident in his ability to play a consistently reliable game at shortstop. It’d be awesome if he reaches great offensive heights, but it won’t help if he gives more runs back on defense than is acceptable. His arm and his range suggest he can be exceptional at short, but he has to catch and throw routinely first.

If he can, and I’m all for giving him that chance all year long, then we have a very special player. If he can’t do it well enough, they’ll have to seriously think about moving him to first base, where we still have his offense but with the likelihood that he’s not going to be giving back an unacceptable amount of runs with below average defense at a position that’s less difficult to play.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Doc wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:35 am
Doc wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:54 pm

Would you still be okay with it if he booted a routine ground ball, or made a poor throw, in a tied game with a runner on third in the bottom of the ninth of the seventh game of a playoff series? I know that's quite the exaggeration but my point is that steady, reliable defense, especially at shortstop, is always absolutely critical regardless of the offense created by that player. Preventing a run has the exact same value as producing a run.
If it got to that point, it was probably because he kept them in the game as it was in the first place. Just flipping the coin on you. In other words, sh*t happens. Think about Buckner and the Red Sox fans. Would they even have been in that position in the first place without him?

Let me ask you this: What if Cruz was what you described, not only a steady defender, but became gold glove caliber, and still made that error?

My initial point was that I’m still not confident in his ability to play a consistently reliable game at shortstop. It’d be awesome if he reaches great offensive heights, but it won’t help if he gives more runs back on defense than is acceptable. His arm and his range suggest he can be exceptional at short, but he has to catch and throw routinely first.

If he can, and I’m all for giving him that chance all year long, then we have a very special player. If he can’t do it well enough, they’ll have to seriously think about moving him to first base, where we still have his offense but with the likelihood that he’s not going to be giving back an unacceptable amount of runs with below average defense at a position that’s less difficult to play.
What fun is that, though? There was nothing more breath taking then watching a Pedro Alvarez sail into the stands behind first base on a line, all the way from third.

They are in the entertainment business too.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Back to the original thread, sorry for hijacking....this is a great move, and I can't believe it comes on the cheap.

Now, back to the hijack......

I'm okay with a late inning defensive replacement for Cruz, however, Alika Williams is not that guy. I don't know how they all measure out, but I've seen nothing of Williams that makes me see him being exceptionally superior to Peguero or even Triolo at short.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Surgnbuck wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:32 am
Doc wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:35 am

What fun is that, though? There was nothing more breath taking then watching a Pedro Alvarez sail into the stands behind first base on a line, all the way from third.

They are in the entertainment business too.
Pedro and Oneil on the same side of the infield would be something to behold. Each ground ball on the left side would be cause for everyone to take both notice and cover.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Surgnbuck wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:34 am Back to the original thread, sorry for hijacking....this is a great move, and I can't believe it comes on the cheap.

Now, back to the hijack......

I'm okay with a late inning defensive replacement for Cruz, however, Alika Williams is not that guy. I don't know how they all measure out, but I've seen nothing of Williams that makes me see him being exceptionally superior to Peguero or even Triolo at short.
Right. I'm sure Williams is a very nice young man but he just doesn't have enough to be a complete major league player.