Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

Pirates sign Michael A Taylor.

Post by SammyKhalifa »

1 yr 4 mm. I kind of like it.
mouse

Re: Pirates sign Michael A Taylor.

Post by mouse »

I like the idea of strong defense in center field. Should make the team better overall.
Doc

Post by Doc »

mouse wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:33 am I like the idea of strong defense in center field. Should make the team better overall.
I was reading an article on mlb.com saying that the Pirates made great strides on defense last season. Taylor should help the team become even better. I must admit, though, that Cruz at shortstop still gives me pause. I just want him to make the routine plays consistently. Even if he reaches his goal of being a 40/40 guy, he can't play poorly defensively.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Doc wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:54 am
mouse wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:33 am I like the idea of strong defense in center field. Should make the team better overall.
I was reading an article on mlb.com saying that the Pirates made great strides on defense last season. Taylor should help the team become even better. I must admit, though, that Cruz at shortstop still gives me pause. I just want him to make the routine plays consistently. Even if he reaches his goal of being a 40/40 guy, he can't play poorly defensively.
He's hitting 90 HR's with 70 errors, 50 stolen bases, 150 RBI. I'm okay with that
Doc

Post by Doc »

Surgnbuck wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:56 am
He's hitting 90 HR's with 70 errors, 50 stolen bases, 150 RBI. I'm okay with that
Would you still be okay with it if he booted a routine ground ball, or made a poor throw, in a tied game with a runner on third in the bottom of the ninth of the seventh game of a playoff series? I know that's quite the exaggeration but my point is that steady, reliable defense, especially at shortstop, is always absolutely critical regardless of the offense created by that player. Preventing a run has the exact same value as producing a run.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Doc wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:54 pm

Would you still be okay with it if he booted a routine ground ball, or made a poor throw, in a tied game with a runner on third in the bottom of the ninth of the seventh game of a playoff series? I know that's quite the exaggeration but my point is that steady, reliable defense, especially at shortstop, is always absolutely critical regardless of the offense created by that player. Preventing a run has the exact same value as producing a run.
Maybe the Pirates are thinking the same thing, and that is why Williams is still on the roster for late inning defensive replacement ?
Doc

Post by Doc »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:36 pm
Maybe the Pirates are thinking the same thing, and that is why Williams is still on the roster for late inning defensive replacement ?
Couldn't Peggy fill that spot? Even if he wins the second base job, he could slide over to play SS in the late innings if management wants Cruz off the field in the 8th or 9th innings. Williams taking up a roster spot seems like a lot to sacrifice just for him playing an inning or two of defense a couple of times a week. I just don't see Williams' purpose.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Doc wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:12 pm

Couldn't Peggy fill that spot? Even if he wins the second base job, he could slide over to play SS in the late innings if management wants Cruz off the field in the 8th or 9th innings. Williams taking up a roster spot seems like a lot to sacrifice just for him playing an inning or two of defense a couple of times a week. I just don't see Williams' purpose.

I agree I would prefer Peggy on the bench due to his bat, but for some reason Williams has remained on the roster all offseason. Personally I would put Peggy on second in the late innings, and play Triolo at shortstop.
Doc

Post by Doc »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:35 pm
Doc wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:12 pm

I agree I would prefer Peggy on the bench due to his bat, but for some reason Williams has remained on the roster all offseason. Personally I would put Peggy on second in the late innings, and play Triolo at shortstop.
Maybe they’re hanging onto Williams through the end of Spring Training in case of an injury or two to the infielders. Maybe they’re holding onto him in the event another team has an injury to one of their middle infielders whereas the Pirates can offer Williams to them. Showcasing him for another team seems like a long shot because he’s just not good enough offensively for another team to have that much of an interest. Whatever the reason, it seems impossible for him to make the roster.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

If it got to that point, it was probably because he kept them in the game as it was in the first place. Just flipping the coin on you. In other words, sh*t happens. Think about Buckner and the Red Sox fans. Would they even have been in that position in the first place without him?

Let me ask you this: What if Cruz was what you described, not only a steady defender, but became gold glove caliber, and still made that error?

I'd be happy to take my chances with it.