Diaz must be back up after Allstar game

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

thessy

Post by thessy »

2B20282421203B7E780F362E272020612C204F0 wrote:

Ideally you have an all-star catcher who never gets hurt and as a result the backup only plays on Sundays, but that just isn't the situation the Pirates are in.

What is the situation the Pirates are in?  Cervelli catches almost every game when he is not on the DL or a day game after a night game.

Of course he does, it would be foolish to play Stewart over Cervelli otherwise, but as a previous poster pointed out, "every game when he is not on the DL or a day game after a night game" amounts to - in his most healthy and arguably best performing season ever - a percentage of games that has the backup playing significantly more than the "once a week" you previously said Diaz would be playing behind Cervelli. Throw in the fact that Diaz light years better than Chris Stewart and I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that in an average season, Diaz would be playing in at least as many games as Cervelli.

Not directed at you dog (in a hurry and can't go back and re-quote the other post), but on the Stewart being Cole's personal catcher thing, is it a case of Cole wanting Stewart, or Cole wanting whoever they're carrying who isn't Cervelli? Just thinking out loud, but any chance Cole and Cervelli have a little bit of a personality clash? Cole is a bit of a hothead and we saw Glasnow get a bit upset with Cervelli, so I could see that being a possibility - though of course I could be way off there too.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

That is like one or two starts a week for the back up catcher. Not many day games this year in the middle of the week.

I didn't think Stewart was Cole's personal catcher, so I looked it up. Stewart has caught Cole 5 times, Diaz 3 times, Cervelli 10 times (I don't know if Cervelli was hurt or day/night games).

I am all in favor of Diaz staying with the Pirates, but he has to play more than Stewart. And take the risk of pinch hitting him too.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

With respect to Stewart being Cole's personal catcher, look at season 1 when the Pirates first acquired Cervelli. It took quite a while for Bucs to have Cervelli catch Cole.