Diaz must be back up after Allstar game

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

Elias Diaz should be the starting catcher but if not that at least should be the backup to Cervelli. He has paid his dues the guy looks great both behind the plate and hitting. Stewart should be traded or DFA before the second half. Diaz makes the team better, why keep abusing him at triple A.
mouse

Post by mouse »

My guess is that a few scares with catchers getting injured in droves has made NH a touch gun shy. I don't see him trading or releasing Stewart. Diaz is kept at AAA because he has options -- that is, because he can be kept there. They have young catchers coming on. Maybe by next year they'll feel comfortable with those guys as back line backups and look to releasing or trading Stewart (or even Cervelli).
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

Stallings is probably as good as Stewart is now. I'm hoping that Stewart is traded for anything (probably money) before season is out.

Can't see there is anyway the Bucs pick up his option for 2018
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I think they like Stewart as a veteran player on the roster. I could see them not picking up the option for 2018, but also adding him as a minor league coach or instructor. My guess is that he remains in the organization.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Diaz isn't going to ride the bench when he can play every day in the minors. How many teams carry a rookie catcher to back up?

I wouldn't mind Diaz playing more than Stewart usually does. Cervelli probably needs more days off than the average catcher. Will the Pirates platoon with Cervelli?
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

747F777B7E7F642127506971787F7F3E737F100 wrote: Diaz isn't going to ride the bench when he can play every day in the minors. How many teams carry a rookie catcher to back up?

I wouldn't mind Diaz playing more than Stewart usually does. Cervelli probably needs more days off than the average catcher. Will the Pirates platoon with Cervelli?
We've been hearing about ED for years the guy has done all you can do in the minors. He has proved he can compete well at the Major league level. It has to be hard to keep a positive attitude when the Pirates treat players like they have treated him. I believe he improves the team whether strengthening the bench or throwing out runners, he makes this team better and we need him in the line up. This organization needs to do the right thing here and get him up now.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

647C7E79796E7F78656472170 wrote: Diaz isn't going to ride the bench when he can play every day in the minors. How many teams carry a rookie catcher to back up?

We've been hearing about ED for years the guy has done all you can do in the minors.  He has proved he can compete well at the Major league level.  It has to be hard to keep a positive attitude when the Pirates treat players like they have treated him.  I believe he improves the team whether strengthening the bench or throwing out runners, he makes this team better and we need him in the line up.  This organization needs to do the right thing here and get him up now.
That's right. Diaz is only a rookie because they keep him in the minors. He's 26 and this is his 8th season in the minors where he's had over 2,300 ABs. By comparison, Stewart has had 1,100 ABs in the majors. Clearly Diaz should at least be Cevello's backup if not sharing the position. The Pirates (who have already said as much) are concerned more with depth. They can't stash Stewart in AAA so if they move him and bring up Diaz, then Stallings is the next option. They prefer Cervelli/Stewart/Diaz over Cervelli/Diaz/Stallings. Stewart may be a defensive upgrade over Stallings but since Cervelli seems to need a lot of time off, Diaz is a huge upgrade over Stewart. It's just part of the overall strange thinking of this FO. Better to go with less talent in order to have more depth. Better to lose games with better players resting than to make them play more and win.

Someone needs to get thru to this FO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x-fkSYDtUY" style="border:0;height:100%;left:0;position:absolute;width:100%">
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

4348404C4948531610675E464F4848094448270 wrote: Diaz isn't going to ride the bench when he can play every day in the minors. How many teams carry a rookie catcher to back up?

1st, catchers don't play everyday majors or minors,  and it's the one position that a backup doesn't languish on the bench.    So that recycled excuse of keeping more talented players down so they can play everyday doesn't work with catchers.   It works with other guys, not catchers.

2nd, Cervelli is made of glass, making any pirates backup catcher a 60/40 guy regardless of who they are.

3rd, he's probably BETTER than Cervelli.   He is significantly better defensively, that much is a given.   Cervelli's perpetual injuries, whining and moping brings his bat down to more comparable levels to Diaz.   He's a better hitter, no doubt.   But how much better now that he got his contract and is cashing it in?

4th:  He's (Diaz) way WAY too old to be holding back any more.  He's a catcher so has just a few more years left before his position is going to start wearing on him physically.   Stop acting like he's a 24 year old rookie.    He is in his defensive prime right now.

4th:  Gary Sanchez Man!   He backed up Brian McCann last year before being named the starter this year.    caught 53 games as a backup in 2016, his rookie season.     He's one of the best catchers in baseball. So there's one example of a team carrying a rookie catcher as a backup initially. There are quite a few examples.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

could they be looking at stats like CERA (or obviously something internal that's a bit deeper than that)?  Cos while Cervelli and Stew's are virtually the same (4.08 vs 3.94), Diaz's has been a half run higher at 4.52.  Yeah, I know SSS and all, and I'm not so sure about the CERA stat and how valid it is, but it's not nothing either. 

I'd like to see Stewart backing up Diaz eventually, but I also believe that they probably don't make decisions based on nothing at all; and that no, everyone's not stupid.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I would think back up catchers play less than anyone else on the team. They rarely pinch hit or get entered into a game. They usually just play day games.

Cervelli has still played more of the time when he is not on the DL. Yes, he gets dinged up more than any other catcher, but he still starts most of the time.

Diaz could be better than Cervelli. This is the first time Diaz has been hitting. He does deserve more playing time.

Sanchez was not the back up to McCann all year in NY. He was called up in August in 2016.

I would rather have Diaz, but I feel this move is rare: Rookie catcher sitting the bench. Most teams want catchers playing every day because of the difficulty of the position. It could really save Cervelli by actually playing the back up more. That can't be Stewert.