Neil Walker a Brewer

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

Neil Walker a Brewer

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

092429383F2E39797A4B0 wrote:

The "language" has definitely.  No more talk of adding or building. Everything is about how tight the money is. 

I go back to the Jared Hughes story in the spring, Neal telling him at the beginning of spring he's too expensive, probably no room for Jared. What a cheap organization!  It's pitiful and the whole bunch should be embarrassed. That little story simply cemented the truth about this organization, a truth that has actually been on DISPLAY for years but hidden by a thin vail of lies. 

Now they just rub pirate fans faces in their selfish intentions. The events of this season are almost unbelievable but they are true. To play 2/3 of the season without doing ANYTHING should shame them. But of course, it doesn't. 

This winter is it - if There is not an infusion of money this FO will see fans running away and valuation reverse. 

I don't remember anyone here loving Jared Hughes for the last year or so that he'd been a Pirate.  I remember people saying that the only reason he hadn't been cut is because he made too much money. 

Yes, Hughes was disappointing last year and had an awful ST this year. I wasn't sorry to see him go. What I do have a problem with, however, is that even before ST began he was told "You make a lot of money, so we might not want you on the team.'" That might even have contributed to his bad ST since he went into it knowing he might have to be perfect (and even that may not be enough) to stay. Why not just wait and see what kind of ST he has and then release him if he struggles without telling him before he throws his first ST pitch that he isn't wanted because of his salary (which is a pittance to most teams).

Yes, this is my point.
rucker59@gmail.com

Neil Walker a Brewer

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

5D7B7A6D7B6B180 wrote: Right, so he better have a good spring training.  He didn't.

yeah because Hughes was so much worse than Daniel Hudson, Bastardo or Wade LeBlanc.

Yep.  9 innings, 16 hits, 15 runs.

They were all bad, but Hughes was the worst of the bunch.

Hughes stats were similar to what he had done in past springs when he made the team.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/jared-hugh ... asonType=3

Yeah, ST is not used except when it serves as a convenient excuse.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Neil Walker a Brewer

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

So, the Pirates kept their word and now are getting slammed? Hughes was told he needed to have a good spring training. He didn't, he was cut. Yeah, he made more than his replacement who was pitching better. He was aware of the situation, yet people want to spin it in a way to be against management.

His 2016 season wasn't very good and it carried over into spring training. This happens a lot. There are times when spring training matters for players. Hughes was well aware of the situation.
dmetz

Neil Walker a Brewer

Post by dmetz »

Glad Hughes was let go.  Nothing clearly wrong with that decision to me and can't unring that bell anywyay

NOT GLAD that we remain 3 games out and aren't adding one more guy and jettisoning John Jaso.

It really sucks that Walker went to the Brewers.   He fills a starting hole and sures up their lineup and their defense (which is woeful)

At least Bruce went to Cleveland.  Picking up Walker would have solidified our team, blocked the Brewers and been a very popular move from an attendance standpoint. Was a mistake.

Whatever.  Get Granderson now or some other option.   He's not a 10/5 and can't block.

Bobster21

Neil Walker a Brewer

Post by Bobster21 »

272C24282D2C377274033A222B2C2C6D202C430 wrote: So, the Pirates kept their word and now are getting slammed?  Hughes was told he needed to have a good spring training.  He didn't, he was cut.  Yeah, he made more than his replacement who was pitching better.  He was aware of the situation, yet people want to spin it in a way to be against management.

His 2016 season wasn't very good and it carried over into spring training.  This happens a lot.  There are times when spring training matters for players.  Hughes was well aware of the situation. 
"You make a lot of money, so we might not want you on the team" is not the same as "If you don't have a good ST we will not keep you." You are changing what he was told and then praising the FO for "keeping their word." Your revised version suggests the flip side which is that if he had a good ST he might be kept. But being told he may not be wanted because of his salary leaves open the possibility that even a good spring might not be enough. Aw, never mind. Let's throw a party for the Best Management Team in Baseball. :)
notes34

Neil Walker a Brewer

Post by notes34 »

3A333B2A245E0 wrote: Glad Hughes was let go.  Nothing clearly wrong with that decision to me and can't unring that bell anywyay

NOT GLAD that we remain 3 games out and aren't adding one more guy and jettisoning John Jaso.

It really sucks that Walker went to the Brewers.   He fills a starting hole and sures up their lineup and their defense (which is woeful)

At least Bruce went to Cleveland.  Picking up Walker would have solidified our team, blocked the Brewers and been a very popular move from an attendance standpoint. Was a mistake.

Whatever.  Get Granderson now or some other option.   He's not a 10/5 and can't block.

Granderson helps a lot. He is an actual MLB outfielder and has some offensive ability. His avg. will not be good but he does display good power and still runs pretty well. That would make it easy to get rid of Jaso.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Neil Walker a Brewer

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

725F52434455420201300 wrote: So, the Pirates kept their word and now are getting slammed?  Hughes was told he needed to have a good spring training.  He didn't, he was cut.  Yeah, he made more than his replacement who was pitching better.  He was aware of the situation, yet people want to spin it in a way to be against management.

His 2016 season wasn't very good and it carried over into spring training.  This happens a lot.  There are times when spring training matters for players.  Hughes was well aware of the situation. 
"You make a lot of money, so we might not want you on the team" is not the same as "If you don't have a good ST we will not keep you." You are changing what he was told and then praising the FO for "keeping their word." Your revised version suggests the flip side which is that if he had a good ST he might be kept. But being told he may not be wanted because of his salary leaves open the possibility that even a good spring might not be enough. Aw, never mind. Let's throw a party for the Best Management Team in Baseball. :)

That's how you read that or took that one line? That is not how I understood the context of that quote.

So, you think he still would have been cut if he had a good spring? I do not. They signed him to avoid arbitration a few months earlier.

I guess it is how you spin it. I am using context and assuming Hughes knew the situation that he had to have a good spring to make the team based on his 2016 season too. I am glad they were straight forward with him and not leaving him high and dry.
dmetz

Neil Walker a Brewer

Post by dmetz »

The brewers are really pushing hard and making a play for both the division and the Wildcard now.

Neil Walker has performed very well for them and filled a big hole at 2b.  A big August move for that batting order and infield defense.     Jeremy Jeffress and Anthony Swarzak have helped their terrible bullpen.

Chase Anderson, Davies, and Nelson are quality starters, though Anderson is a bit of a Cinderella story and midnight may be approaching.  Garza is terrible and they've skipping his starts when possible now.  While Brent Suter has pitched well in his limited time. 

These guys have a chance.  A formidable lineup, solid starting pitching and a bad, but improved bullpen.

If it wasn't STL that put the trade waiver claim in on Nicasio, it would have almost certainly been the Brewers shortly thereafter, so no matter what NH claims he was trying to do, Nicasio being claimed by a direct competitor was a freaking guarantee.  100% rock solid guarantee.

It would have been the Cards, blocked the brewers from getting him. If NH's story is true.