Neil Walker a Brewer

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dmetz

Neil Walker a Brewer

Post by dmetz »

Brewers get Walker AND CASH for a PTBNL.

COME ON NH, get off your duff and make a bleeping attempt at this division.  Especially with Polanco being a walking injury.

I hate you trading with Sandy Alderson too, he's taken you to the woodshed a few times.  oh well, shake it off and get back in there!

Pick up the phone, Call him.  Ask him how much of Granderson's salary he will eat and what awesome, untouchable, can't miss Pirates prospect he wants.  We're so loaded with great prospects ... I know

Make something happen.  That's your actual job, you know.  It's not to protect Nutting's wallet and wring your hands over a meager 3-4 million dollars.

mouse

Neil Walker a Brewer

Post by mouse »

Did Granderson clear waivers?
dmetz

Neil Walker a Brewer

Post by dmetz »

5B59434553360 wrote: Did Granderson clear waivers?

Yes. He's on a 15 million salary.
mouse

Neil Walker a Brewer

Post by mouse »

Ah. Well, I can see where 15MM (even prorated) might make NH gulp a bit.
Bobster21

Neil Walker a Brewer

Post by Bobster21 »

2A28323422470 wrote: Ah. Well, I can see where 15MM (even prorated) might make NH gulp a bit.
He should have about 4.5 mil remaining to be paid this year.
IABucFan

Neil Walker a Brewer

Post by IABucFan »

232A22333D470 wrote: Brewers get Walker AND CASH for a PTBNL.

COME ON NH, get off your duff and make a bleeping attempt at this division.  Especially with Polanco being a walking injury.

I hate you trading with Sandy Alderson too, he's taken you to the woodshed a few times.  oh well, shake it off and get back in there!

Pick up the phone, Call him.  Ask him how much of Granderson's salary he will eat and what awesome, untouchable, can't miss Pirates prospect he wants.  We're so loaded with great prospects ... I know

Make something happen.  That's your actual job, you know.  It's not to protect Nutting's wallet and wring your hands over a meager 3-4 million dollars.

Couldn't agree more. I still think NH is a top GM, but this is bordering on the absurd with their refusal to bring in an actual, bonafide outfielder. I suppose Rodriguez kind of meets that criteria, emphasis on "kind of."

I'm sure Rodriguez is a great guy, and his story is great, and I'm glad to have him back and all that, and if they some how win this division and play meaningful baseball in October, he can be an adequate fill-in when Marte resumes his suspension, but all that being said...they are either planning to pay a bench guy something like $5 million next year when any number of guys can probably replicate his production for far less cost, or they are actually planning to have S-Rod start, banking on Kang not coming back.

So, our two choices are A) a $5 million bench piece or B) a bench guy miscast as a starter. Color me underwhelmed. Is this where the "found" money from Kang and Marte went? If so, given that NH said numerous times in the offseason that there is "room to add" in the budget if the need presents itself, then there should still be plenty left to go deal for a guy like Granderson.

Maybe Walker isn't the guy they need. Personally, I don't think he is. But, sheesh...do something.
Bobster21

Neil Walker a Brewer

Post by Bobster21 »

757D7E495F7A5D523C0 wrote: Brewers get Walker AND CASH for a PTBNL.

Couldn't agree more.  I still think NH is a top GM, but this is bordering on the absurd with their refusal to bring in an actual, bonafide outfielder.  I suppose Rodriguez kind of meets that criteria, emphasis on "kind of." 

I'm sure Rodriguez is a great guy, and his story is great, and I'm glad to have him back and all that, and if they some how win this division and play meaningful baseball in October, he can be an adequate fill-in when Marte resumes his suspension, but all that being said...they are either planning to pay a bench guy something like $5 million next year when any number of guys can probably replicate his production for far less cost, or they are actually planning to have S-Rod start, banking on Kang not coming back.

So, our two choices are A) a $5 million bench piece or B) a bench guy miscast as a starter.  Color me underwhelmed.  Is this where the "found" money from Kang and Marte went?  If so, given that NH said numerous times in the offseason that there is "room to add" in the budget if the need presents itself, then there should still be plenty left to go deal for a guy like Granderson.

Maybe Walker isn't the guy they need.  Personally, I don't think he is.  But, sheesh...do something.
Yeah, in prior seasons fans have heard "we'll spend when the time is right" and "this gives us financial flexibility" (presumably to do something with it). Such comments placated fans who wanted the team to increase payroll (and, no, not like the Dodgers and Yankees) because it indicated the Pirates would increase spending, just not now. But this year it seems the priority is keep the payroll as low as possible (absent getting rid of everyone) and the FO no longer cares who knows it. Obvious roster needs have remained unfilled all season, even to the absurdity of carrying only 2 legit OFers most of the season and trying tp get by with Jaso, Moroff, Gosselin, Bostick, Ngoepe, Ortiz and Luplow. Even when they accidentally find themselves within 3 games of 1st place in August (not because of their success but because of everyone else's relative failures), little is done (altho Kontos and S-Rod were nice additions but not enough of an impact). Seems to me Nutting and Coonelly have not been heard from much this year and NH doesn't talk more than he is required to. I get the idea this regime knows the fans are onto them and they just don't care. I hope I'm wrong but I doubt we'll see any significant moves now or any off season moves that won't maintain or lower the current payroll. NH is doing the best he can with his payroll restrictions. But fielding a top team does not appear to be the agenda.
dmetz

Neil Walker a Brewer

Post by dmetz »

6B69737563060 wrote: Ah. Well, I can see where 15MM (even prorated) might make NH gulp a bit.

Right. the Mets are eating salary. Just did with some of Walkers for a PTBNL..
Ecbucs

Neil Walker a Brewer

Post by Ecbucs »

092429383F2E39797A4B0 wrote: Brewers get Walker AND CASH for a PTBNL.

[center][/center]

Couldn't agree more.  I still think NH is a top GM, but this is bordering on the absurd with their refusal to bring in an actual, bonafide outfielder.  I suppose Rodriguez kind of meets that criteria, emphasis on "kind of." 

So, our two choices are A) a $5 million bench piece or B) a bench guy miscast as a starter.  Color me underwhelmed.  Is this where the "found" money from Kang and Marte went?  If so, given that NH said numerous times in the offseason that there is "room to add" in the budget if the need presents itself, then there should still be plenty left to go deal for a guy like Granderson.

Maybe Walker isn't the guy they need.  Personally, I don't think he is.  But, sheesh...do something.
Yeah, in prior seasons fans have heard "we'll spend when the time is right" and "this gives us [highlight]financial flexibility" [/highlight](presumably to do something with it). Such comments placated fans who wanted the team to increase payroll (and, no, not like the Dodgers and Yankees) because it indicated the Pirates would increase spending, just not now. But this year it seems the priority is keep the payroll as low as possible (absent getting rid of everyone) and the FO no longer cares who knows it. Obvious roster needs have remained unfilled all season, even to the absurdity of carrying only 2 legit OFers most of the season and trying tp get by with Jaso, Moroff, Gosselin, Bostick, Ngoepe, Ortiz and Luplow. Even when they accidentally find themselves within 3 games of 1st place in August (not because of their success but because of everyone else's relative failures), little is done (altho Kontos and S-Rod were nice additions but not enough of an impact). Seems to me Nutting and Coonelly have not been heard from much this year and NH doesn't talk more than he is required to.  I get the idea this regime knows the fans are onto them and they just don't care. I hope I'm wrong but I doubt we'll see any significant moves now or any off season moves that won't maintain or lower the current payroll. NH is doing the best he can with his payroll restrictions. But fielding a top team does not appear to be the agenda.

I bet Neal does his darndest to make sure he never says "financial flexibility" again.
rucker59@gmail.com

Neil Walker a Brewer

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

7A5C5D4A5C4C3F0 wrote: Brewers get Walker AND CASH for a PTBNL.

[center][/center]

Yeah, in prior seasons fans have heard "we'll spend when the time is right" and "this gives us [highlight]financial flexibility" [/highlight](presumably to do something with it). Such comments placated fans who wanted the team to increase payroll (and, no, not like the Dodgers and Yankees) because it indicated the Pirates would increase spending, just not now. But this year it seems the priority is keep the payroll as low as possible (absent getting rid of everyone) and the FO no longer cares who knows it. Obvious roster needs have remained unfilled all season, even to the absurdity of carrying only 2 legit OFers most of the season and trying tp get by with Jaso, Moroff, Gosselin, Bostick, Ngoepe, Ortiz and Luplow. Even when they accidentally find themselves within 3 games of 1st place in August (not because of their success but because of everyone else's relative failures), little is done (altho Kontos and S-Rod were nice additions but not enough of an impact). Seems to me Nutting and Coonelly have not been heard from much this year and NH doesn't talk more than he is required to.  I get the idea this regime knows the fans are onto them and they just don't care. I hope I'm wrong but I doubt we'll see any significant moves now or any off season moves that won't maintain or lower the current payroll. NH is doing the best he can with his payroll restrictions. But fielding a top team does not appear to be the agenda.

I bet Neal does his to make sure he never says "financial flexibility" again.

The "language" has definitely. No more talk of adding or building. Everything is about how tight the money is.

I go back to the Jared Hughes story in the spring, Neal telling him at the beginning of spring he's too expensive, probably no room for Jared. What a cheap organization! It's pitiful and the whole bunch should be embarrassed. That little story simply cemented the truth about this organization, a truth that has actually been on DISPLAY for years but hidden by a thin vail of lies.

Now they just rub pirate fans faces in their selfish intentions. The events of this season are almost unbelievable but they are true. To play 2/3 of the season without doing ANYTHING should shame them. But of course, it doesn't.

This winter is it - if There is not an infusion of money this FO will see fans running away and valuation reverse.