Neil Walker a Brewer

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Neil Walker a Brewer

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I really disagree about the Hughes story.

Hughes wasn't very good in 2016. He was told he needed to have a good Spring or he would be cut. He didn't have a good Spring either. Every team would have done the same thing. If two guys are equal in talent, of course the more expensive player will go.
rucker59@gmail.com

Neil Walker a Brewer

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

58535B575253480D0B7C455D545353125F533C0 wrote: I really disagree about the Hughes story.

Hughes wasn't very good in 2016.  He was told he needed to have a good Spring or he would be cut.  He didn't have a good Spring either.  Every team would have done the same thing.  If two guys are equal in talent, of course the more expensive player will go. 

Sorry. Not the way it happened.
Bobster21

Neil Walker a Brewer

Post by Bobster21 »

5A5D4B434D5A1D11684F45494144064B4745280 wrote: I really disagree about the Hughes story.

Hughes wasn't very good in 2016.  He was told he needed to have a good Spring or he would be cut.  He didn't have a good Spring either.  Every team would have done the same thing.  If two guys are equal in talent, of course the more expensive player will go. 

Sorry.  Not the way it happened.

Per the Trib quoting Hughes:

“Before spring training started, (general manager) Neal Huntington said, ‘There might be a crunch at the end of spring. You make a lot of money, so we might not want you on the team.'"

http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/1226 ... -emotional

That was pretty bad. No need for NH to tell him that before ST even started. If Hughes had a bad ST, then he could be released with no mention of money. And Hughes was making less than 3 mil so it wasn't going to break the bank. But NH clearly told Hughes' there was a relationship between his ability to make the team and his rather modest salary.

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Neil Walker a Brewer

Right, so he better have a good spring training. He didn't.
rucker59@gmail.com

Neil Walker a Brewer

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

676C64686D6C773234437A626B6C6C2D606C030 wrote: Right, so he better have a good spring training.  He didn't.

I don't know whether to laugh or pound my head into the wall.

:D
Ecbucs

Neil Walker a Brewer

Post by Ecbucs »

68636B676263783D3B4C756D646363226F630C0 wrote: Right, so he better have a good spring training.  He didn't.

yeah because Hughes was so much worse than Daniel Hudson, Bastardo or Wade LeBlanc.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Neil Walker a Brewer

163031263020530 wrote: Right, so he better have a good spring training.  He didn't.

yeah because Hughes was so much worse than Daniel Hudson, Bastardo or Wade LeBlanc.

Yep. 9 innings, 16 hits, 15 runs.

They were all bad, but Hughes was the worst of the bunch.
SammyKhalifa

Neil Walker a Brewer

Post by SammyKhalifa »

404751595740070B72555F535B5E1C515D5F320 wrote:

The "language" has definitely.  No more talk of adding or building. Everything is about how tight the money is. 

I go back to the Jared Hughes story in the spring, Neal telling him at the beginning of spring he's too expensive, probably no room for Jared. What a cheap organization!  It's pitiful and the whole bunch should be embarrassed. That little story simply cemented the truth about this organization, a truth that has actually been on DISPLAY for years but hidden by a thin vail of lies. 

Now they just rub pirate fans faces in their selfish intentions. The events of this season are almost unbelievable but they are true. To play 2/3 of the season without doing ANYTHING should shame them. But of course, it doesn't. 

This winter is it - if There is not an infusion of money this FO will see fans running away and valuation reverse. 

I don't remember anyone here loving Jared Hughes for the last year or so that he'd been a Pirate.  I remember people saying that the only reason he hadn't been cut was because he made too much money. 
Bobster21

Neil Walker a Brewer

Post by Bobster21 »

566468687C4E6D64696C6364050 wrote:

The "language" has definitely.  No more talk of adding or building. Everything is about how tight the money is. 

I go back to the Jared Hughes story in the spring, Neal telling him at the beginning of spring he's too expensive, probably no room for Jared. What a cheap organization!  It's pitiful and the whole bunch should be embarrassed. That little story simply cemented the truth about this organization, a truth that has actually been on DISPLAY for years but hidden by a thin vail of lies. 

Now they just rub pirate fans faces in their selfish intentions. The events of this season are almost unbelievable but they are true. To play 2/3 of the season without doing ANYTHING should shame them. But of course, it doesn't. 

This winter is it - if There is not an infusion of money this FO will see fans running away and valuation reverse. 

I don't remember anyone here loving Jared Hughes for the last year or so that he'd been a Pirate.  I remember people saying that the only reason he hadn't been cut is because he made too much money. 

Yes, Hughes was disappointing last year and had an awful ST this year. I wasn't sorry to see him go. What I do have a problem with, however, is that even before ST began he was told "You make a lot of money, so we might not want you on the team.'" That might even have contributed to his bad ST since he went into it knowing he might have to be perfect (and even that may not be enough) to stay. Why not just wait and see what kind of ST he has and then release him if he struggles without telling him before he throws his first ST pitch that he isn't wanted because of his salary (which is a pittance to most teams).
Ecbucs

Neil Walker a Brewer

Post by Ecbucs »

474C44484D4C571214635A424B4C4C0D404C230 wrote: Right, so he better have a good spring training.  He didn't.

Yep.  9 innings, 16 hits, 15 runs.

They were all bad, but Hughes was the worst of the bunch.

Hughes stats were similar to what he had done in past springs when he made the team.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/jared-hugh ... asonType=3