2024 Official Spring Training Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Re: 2024 Official Spring Training Thread

Post by fjk090852-7 »

It appears tomorrow morning is when the Pirates will set their Opening Day roster. Right now it appears the bullpen group is not as set as we thought it would be. Holderman thinks he will be placed on the IL due to his illness he had earlier in the month. We have already lost Moreta for the season due to TJ surgery. Also Mlodzinski is having some arm issues. I am guessing Jones is added to the roster, and also there may be a couple more non roster players added. If so three players will need to be removed from the 40 man roster.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

The Pirates have added 3 non roster players to the roster with Jones, Ryan and Stratton, but they have not announced the corresponding moves. I read that Ali Sanchez locker was cleaned out, so that is one player off the 40 man roster. I really thought Falter would be cut, but he made the Opening Day Roster. As well as the #4 starter. If Falter, pitches poorly he will be gone before April ends.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Skenes to start in AAA. Bypassed his bobblehead night in Altoona.
Dutton

Post by Dutton »

Two decisions I struggle with:
Ryder Ryan over Brent Hoeywell
Bailey Falter over Chase Anderson

Otherwise it makes sense
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Dutton wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:07 am Two decisions I struggle with:
Ryder Ryan over Brent Hoeywell
Bailey Falter over Chase Anderson

Otherwise it makes sense
I too thought that Honeywell was going to make the team out of ST. He is the pitcher who throws the nasty screwball, and I figured the Pirates would have him in the bullpen as a different look than their other bullpen guys.
Wildwoodcoach

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:45 am It appears tomorrow morning is when the Pirates will set their Opening Day roster. Right now it appears the bullpen group is not as set as we thought it would be. Holderman thinks he will be placed on the IL due to his illness he had earlier in the month. We have already lost Moreta for the season due to TJ surgery. Also Mlodzinski is having some arm issues. I am guessing Jones is added to the roster, and also there may be a couple more non roster players added. If so three players will need to be removed from the 40 man roster.
Opening the season without Holderman and Mlodzinski could be a problem since the
Bullpen was considered a strength