2024 Official Spring Training Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Possum

2024 Official Spring Training Thread

Post by Possum »

Here it is "Pitchers & Catchers Report"! I hope that phrase satisfies Doc who I here is in Bradenton as I type.

Talk about whatever comes to mind as the Bucs try to become a competitive team without spending too much of Bob's money and hurt his profits.
Let's Go Bucs
Bobster

Re: 2024 Official Spring Training Thread

Post by Bobster »

Flemings meets the team's requirement of having a pulse.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Bobster wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:40 pm
Since they have added a few pitchers as non roster free agents I have to wonder that if a trade is completed with the Marlins that one our bullpen arms, but not Bednar or Chapman would be part of the deal. Possibly Hernandez, or Mlodzinski.
Possum

Post by Possum »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:20 pm
Since they have added a few pitchers as non roster free agents I have to wonder that if a trade is completed with the Marlins that one our bullpen arms, but not Bednar or Chapman would be part of the deal. Possibly Hernandez, or Mlodzinski.
Ok Bobster you started a possible trade deal, what do you want in return for one of our bullpen arms?
Let's Go Bucs
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Possum wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:41 pm
Ok Bobster you started a possible trade deal, what do you want in return for one of our bullpen arms?
That was fjk090852-7 who suggested a trade. I never suggest trade ideas because there are too many variables: cost, years of control, past performance, health issues, what the other team wants. We know the Pirates won't trade for anyone making a lot of money. And they don't have much to offer that would bring back a good pitcher in return. And it would have to be a good pitcher who doesn't come with a big contract. So that limits them to gambling on someone with potential who hasn't quite made it (I've been hearing Edward Cabrera). But do you trade a Bednar for someone who's a gamble? That could turn out very bad. Cherington seems to be in an almost impossible situation when it comes to trades.
PooperScooper !

Post by PooperScooper ! »

Well, I`m ready for the new season and looking at box scores. Following the prospects is my favorite part. Pirates need a hot start to gain confidence and then they have a chance. Its going to be a fun season :D
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

PooperScooper ! wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:03 pm Well, I`m ready for the new season and looking at box scores. Following the prospects is my favorite part. Pirates need a hot start to gain confidence and then they have a chance. Its going to be a fun season :D
They had a hot start last year, going 20-8. But after that, they went 56-78.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Bobster wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:31 pm
Possum wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:41 pm

That was fjk090852-7 who suggested a trade. I never suggest trade ideas because there are too many variables: cost, years of control, past performance, health issues, what the other team wants. We know the Pirates won't trade for anyone making a lot of money. And they don't have much to offer that would bring back a good pitcher in return. And it would have to be a good pitcher who doesn't come with a big contract. So that limits them to gambling on someone with potential who hasn't quite made it (I've been hearing Edward Cabrera). But do you trade a Bednar for someone who's a gamble? That could turn out very bad. Cherington seems to be in an almost impossible situation when it comes to trades.
Since I mentioned a trade, I would attempt to acquire Cabrera from Marlin’s since that has been rumored a couple times. As a package going back to the Marlins I would offer one of our middle infielders except Triolo, Moreta from the bullpen, and a young pitcher other than Skenes, Chandler, Jones, or Solometo. If they refused one of the three players going to them, I would replace that player with Connor Joe to see if that could get the deal done. With Cabrera the Pirates get a pitcher with a low salary, and several years of team control.