Off Season Roster Discussion

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Wildwoodcoach

Re: Off Season Roster Discussion

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

Good to hear from you Javy. Happy New Year. It is a new year with the same old BS
Doc

Post by Doc »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:49 pm
Bobster wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:36 pm
Doc wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:13 pm

I swear I've read this same article each of the past eight years. Nutting says all of the things we want to hear but carries through on none of them. A $68 million payroll pretty much confirms it. $68 frickin' million! Now tell me Cody Bellinger isn't affordable.
It's the usual preseason BS. He has to know he's well past the point where anyone believes him. Unless they change their standard operating procedure, he'll continue to be seen for the liar he is.
I will take the side that Nutting might be correct in his statements. Possibly I could see the Pirates signing a starting pitcher and another position player. Sorry Doc, I don’t see them signing Bellinger, or Hoskins, Snell or Montgomery. I could see a reunion with Santana or even Michael Taylor as the new centerfielder. There remains on the free agent list a handful of mid range pitchers who they could convince to come to Pittsburgh. They need starting pitching depth to get the team through the first two months of the season until some of the young pitchers such as Skenes can arrive from the Minors. They definitely need to get 10 or 12 more wins in 2024 to get into the postseason. The biggest thing the Pirates have to do during this season is to avoid those long losing streaks which can bury the team for the year.
I don't see them signing Bellinger, either. That's never been my contention. They won't sign him for the simple reason that Nutting won't permit it. I just don't want to hear the BS that they can't afford it. That's a lie.
GhostOfPitthorn

Post by GhostOfPitthorn »

Pending physical, Pirates sign Aroldis Chapman to a one year, $10.5 million guaranteed contract.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

GhostOfPitthorn wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:49 am Pending physical, Pirates sign Aroldis Chapman to a one year, $10.5 million guaranteed contract.
This was a big surprise, not just being a bullpen arm, but also the money they paid to sign him. I kind of wonder if a trade for a starting pitcher is in the works.
Doc

Post by Doc »

GhostOfPitthorn wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:49 am Pending physical, Pirates sign Aroldis Chapman to a one year, $10.5 million guaranteed contract.
He might be the one player the entire Pirates fan base despises. None of us who saw it will ever forget that jackass intentionally throwing at McCutchen in Cincinnati. I wonder how Andrew will greet him?

I feel fairly certain Chapman was acquired in order to be flipped at the Deadline. For that reason, even though it’ll be hard for me to root for him, I’m hoping he has a terrific four months and then doesn’t get another hitter out through the end of the season. But before he leaves, the Pirates should have a promotion where a lucky fan gets to throw a ball at his neck.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Doc wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:25 am
He might be the one player the entire Pirates fan base despises. None of us who saw it will ever forget that jackass intentionally throwing at McCutchen in Cincinnati. I wonder how Andrew will greet him?

I feel fairly certain Chapman was acquired in order to be flipped at the Deadline. For that reason, even though it’ll be hard for me to root for him, I’m hoping he has a terrific four months and then doesn’t get another hitter out through the end of the season. But before he leaves, the Pirates should have a promotion where a lucky fan gets to throw a ball at his neck.
I was wondering about him and Cutch, until it was pointed out to me they were teammates in 2018 with the Yankees. I had forgotten about that. So, they have already cleared this hurdle.
Last edited by Surgnbuck on Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PooperScooper !

Post by PooperScooper ! »

Chapman will definitely be flipped at deadline, just shocked he chose Pirates. :o
Doc

Post by Doc »

Surgnbuck wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:35 am

I was wondering about him and Cutch, until it was pointed out to me they were teammates in 2021 with the Yankees. I had forgotten about that. So, they have already cleared this hurdle.
I didn't realize that, either.
Possum

Post by Possum »

Doc wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:07 am
Surgnbuck wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:35 am

I was wondering about him and Cutch, until it was pointed out to me they were teammates in 2021 with the Yankees. I had forgotten about that. So, they have already cleared this hurdle.
I didn't realize that, either.
He's another lefty veteran to hold games before the entrance of Bednar. Now if Marin will just let him alone and not screw him up.
Let's Go Bucs