Wildwoodcoach

Re: Off Season Roster Discussion

Post by Wildwoodcoach »

a correction, doc. It had said on Bleacher Report that he is
expected to sign with the Cubs
Doc

Post by Doc »

Wildwoodcoach wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:41 pm a correction, doc. It had said on Bleacher Report that he is
expected to sign with the Cubs
Let's hope at the last minute, Nutting gives the okay to Cherington to do whatever it takes to steal him away. :roll:
Doc

Post by Doc »

I swear I've read this same article each of the past eight years. Nutting says all of the things we want to hear but carries through on none of them. A $68 million payroll pretty much confirms it. $68 frickin' million! Now tell me Cody Bellinger isn't affordable.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Doc wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:13 pm
I swear I've read this same article each of the past eight years. Nutting says all of the things we want to hear but carries through on none of them. A $68 million payroll pretty much confirms it. $68 frickin' million! Now tell me Cody Bellinger isn't affordable.
It's the usual preseason BS. He has to know he's well past the point where anyone believes him. Unless they change their standard operating procedure, he'll continue to be seen for the liar he is.
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Bobster wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:36 pm
It's the usual preseason BS. He has to know he's well past the point where anyone believes him. Unless they change their standard operating procedure, he'll continue to be seen for the liar he is.
I don’t understand how a person can go through life, particularly a public life, and have no shame.
Doc

Post by Doc »

If Bellinger is seeking $200 million, and no one's offered him that yet, then he's going to be even more affordable to the Pirates as we move closer to Spring Training. I wonder if he's asking for six years (he couldn't possibly be going for anything less) and that's the stumbling block? If he'd take seven years then that shouldn't be any problem for the Pirates. But has Nutting even given permission for BC to talk to Bellinger and his agent?
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I will take the side that Nutting might be correct in his statements. Possibly I could see the Pirates signing a starting pitcher and another position player. Sorry Doc, I don’t see them signing Bellinger, or Hoskins, Snell or Montgomery. I could see a reunion with Santana or even Michael Taylor as the new centerfielder. There remains on the free agent list a handful of mid range pitchers who they could convince to come to Pittsburgh. They need starting pitching depth to get the team through the first two months of the season until some of the young pitchers such as Skenes can arrive from the Minors. They definitely need to get 10 or 12 more wins in 2024 to get into the postseason. The biggest thing the Pirates have to do during this season is to avoid those long losing streaks which can bury the team for the year.
Javy

Post by Javy »

Doc wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:01 am

I don’t understand how a person can go through life, particularly a public life, and have no shame.
I don't believe a word about Cherington having the freedom to spend. They spoke of being "in" on Manea and Rodriquez. I don't see Ben having the go-ahead to spend 30 million for 2 years on a guy like Manea, who essentially was pitching long relief last year, and they would have had to exceed the Mets offer to lure him to the 'Burgh. Just ain't going to happen.

Signing guys like Bauer and German? Aside from the PR blowback (especially on Bauer), the cost would get in the way there because neither will take the lowball offers they would get from the Pirates. Syndergaard adds nothing at all - just look at his last 3 years - he's been a human torch for the most part. He's done, but that's the type of pitcher they normally sign.

I like the idea of getting someone like Garrett or Cabrera, but at what cost? Players like Skenes have to be off limits. Terrmar Johnson should be as well. I'm not in tune to the minors as much as many of you, but they need to develop their players better than they have in the past. To have as many high picks as they have had, and to have such a low success rate, says that their player evaluation and/or developement is sorely lacking.

It still falls on Nutting to change the course of this franchise. He charted it years ago,and he hasn't changed course despite the knowledge that what he is doing isn't going to turn out well.