Kang to miss the start of spring training

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

I would say that from the day he finds out he's getting his Visa (if that day ever comes), it would be at least one month before he's ready to start a major league game.

I'd personally like to see him back and IMO this team really needs him, but I don't expect to see him this year.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

He is a veteran player. He might not need that much time. I am sure he is taking swings now and working out.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

If he returns this year, I expect him to go to AAA for rehab. As soon as they are satisfied with his hitting, he would be back. Could be a few weeks or longer if needed. Having him working out in Korea in the meantime would hasten that.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Anybody know what this does to Kang's contract status? Do the Pirates lose this year?
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Per the Trib:

Yonhap News Agency reported Jung Ho Kang's appeal hearing on his drunk-driving conviction will be May 25 in Seoul, South Korea.

In March, Kang received an eight-month jail term, which was suspended for two years. The conviction has stymied his attempts to get a work visa to come to the United States and rejoin the Pirates.

It's unclear how long Kang's appeal process will take or how much it will aid his attempt to get a visa.

http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/1220 ... one-run-in
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I don't expect to see Kang if at all before the All Star Break. If he gets his visa after the appeal hearing he will need about three weeks in the minor leagues to get in game shape. This DUI issue has received alot of attention,and my guess is that MLB will issue some type of suspension in order to set a precedent for any future DUI issues with players within the league.
ChitownBucco

Post by ChitownBucco »

373C34383D3C276264132A323B3C3C7D303C530 wrote: He is a veteran player.  He might not need that much time.  I am sure he is taking swings now and working out.

yeah it might not take a month. There are a lot of variables. we don't know what kind of workouts and BP he is getting over there.

but to take one example, just from the hitting side of things.

Kyle Schwarber had 8 plate appearances in the arizona fall league and came in to the biggest stage of them all in baseball and had 7 hits in 17 ab's
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

We have to assume he is under some supervision on his workouts, right? I guess he isn't getting paid right now, but the Pirates still hold his rights. I sure hope the Pirates have someone working him out and feeding him properly.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Ha, you make it sound like the Pirates got him a dogsitter
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4C7E72726654777E7376797E1F0 wrote: Ha, you make it sound like the Pirates got him a dogsitter
Maybe if he was walked more (instead of driving), he wouldn't be in this mess.