Rotation to start 2nd half...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

mouse

Post by mouse »

I'm guessing Kuhl pitches one game and then gets optioned to the minors. Taillon will then be added, having the benefit essentially of skipping a start and saving it for September.
Jonathan34

Post by Jonathan34 »

5E6E6279796463406C7E7E0D0 wrote: Pirates announced their rotation for the weekend with Liriano, Cole, and Kuhl

My guess is Kuhl will then go down for Taillon to come off the DL, then maybe Bell down if (and it's a big if) Glasnow takes a rotation spot.

Excellent. Super excited to see a well rested Gerrit Cole pitch on Saturday. Hopefully I'll get to see Bell play too.

Nats haven't announced their starter yet. Strasburg goes Friday versus Frankie 5.0.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

I see that one of the available starters (trade targets) on another team, Pomeranz, has been traded to the Red Sox and for a relatively high cost; a minor league pitcher who was rated a Top 20 prospect by some.

With rumors of the Pirates shopping both Locke and Niese (but perhaps dealing only 1), perhaps the Bucs really will be going primarily with youth after the break. I would feel better about that approach if Liriano were performing well, but with him struggling, I doubt that some combo of Cole, Tallion, Glasnow, Liriano, Kuhl, Brault and Vogelsong(?) is really enough to make it; particularly since Tallion will be on limited innings and neither Kuhl or Brault appear to really be ready for the majors.

So --- with a goal of trying to increase the odds of making the play-offs and to even make a real run at the Cubs, do the Bucs consider overpaying for a 1 year rental like Hill? The Red Sox may (read may) be out of the running for more starting pitching after getting Pomeranz, so perhaps Beane would consider a good quality/quantity trade of young talent rather than having to deal the cream of the system for Hill.
AdrianBrown

Post by AdrianBrown »

I heard NH on the radio this morning and he had some interesting things to say about the rotation:

- Said they would like to keep Cole pitching every 5 days even with all of the rest days if possible

- Said that Taillon would be activated to pitch in the Brewers series

- When NH was asked about why Kuhl was getting the start over say Glasnow his first response was because Glasnow wasn't available yet after his required 10 days down in the minors. Then he politely also said they feel Kuhl is a quality arm. Made it sound like Kuhl may just be making a start while they wait for Glasnow to be eligible to pitch after his 10 days in the minors are complete since he was sent down to bring up Bell (Glasnow would be eligible on the 18th).

- Talked about how in hindsight they may have been better off flipping Walker for prospects rather than Niese. They feel he has been unlucky with a high homerun to flyball rate, but also are worried that it won't correct itself this year. I got the sense they will do their best to trade him.

- NH did say though not to read too much into the rumors of trying to trade Locke and/or Niese, though I got the sense he may have been talking more about Locke who I'm guessing will be the #5 in the rotation.

- I got the sense that Kuhl may head to the bullpen later in the season after he is replaced by Glasnow.

- Also seemed like the Pirates may try to get by with 4 starting pitchers for a little while in order to keep Bell up, which once again makes me feel that Niese will head out of town.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

6C514F424D474C6E4651404647230 wrote: Biertempfel tweeted that Pirates are trying to move Locke and Niese to open up the spot for Glasnow.

I like this. I was going to post my preference: Trade Locke and Neese.

Cole

Frankie

Tallion

Glasnow

Kuhl

I do worry about the arms in September.
NCBuccofan

Post by NCBuccofan »

2F242C2025243F7A7C0B322A2324246528244B0 wrote: It's also possible that Taillon is not ready. I believe if his injury was "fake", they would have DL'd him after his last start and not wait 4 additional days before they did. He may truly have an injury and he needs some more time. Maybe.

I thought he said he wasn't hurt and did not know he was going on the DL (rookie mistake leaking info)? 

Highly unlikely, since the Pirates would be violating the CBA if true.
NCBuccofan

Post by NCBuccofan »

42405A5C4A2F0 wrote: I'm guessing Kuhl pitches one game and then gets optioned to the minors. Taillon will then be added, having the benefit essentially of skipping a start and saving it for September.

Well, it has been multiple starts now, and he was probably actually hurt. 

I do think Kuhl should be out of the rotation, he has not shown much.
NCBuccofan

Post by NCBuccofan »

0623352E26290535283029470 wrote: I heard NH on the radio this morning and he had some interesting things to say about the rotation:

- Said they would like to keep Cole pitching every 5 days even with all of the rest days if possible

- When NH was asked about why Kuhl was getting the start over say Glasnow his first response was because Glasnow wasn't available yet after his required 10 days down in the minors.  Then he politely also said they feel Kuhl is a quality arm.  Made it sound like Kuhl may just be making a start while they wait for Glasnow to be eligible to pitch after his 10 days in the minors are complete since he was sent down to bring up Bell (Glasnow would be eligible on the 18th).

- Talked about how in hindsight they may have been better off flipping Walker for prospects rather than Niese.  They feel he has been unlucky with a high homerun to flyball rate, but also are worried that it won't correct itself this year.  I got the sense they will do their best to trade him.

- NH did say though not to read too much into the rumors of trying to trade Locke and/or Niese, though I got the sense he may have been talking more about Locke who I'm guessing will be the #5 in the rotation.

- I got the sense that Kuhl may head to the bullpen later in the season after he is replaced by Glasnow. 

- Also seemed like the Pirates may try to get by with 4 starting pitchers for a little while in order to keep Bell up, which once again makes me feel that Niese will head out of town.

I doubt they go with 4 starters.

NH actually said he should have traded for fringe prospects right? Pretty shocking to admit that.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

717C7D4A5C5C50595E513F0 wrote: I heard NH on the radio this morning and he had some interesting things to say about the rotation:

- When NH was asked about why Kuhl was getting the start over say Glasnow his first response was because Glasnow wasn't available yet after his required 10 days down in the minors.  Then he politely also said they feel Kuhl is a quality arm.  Made it sound like Kuhl may just be making a start while they wait for Glasnow to be eligible to pitch after his 10 days in the minors are complete since he was sent down to bring up Bell (Glasnow would be eligible on the 18th).

- Talked about how in hindsight they may have been better off flipping Walker for prospects rather than Niese.  They feel he has been unlucky with a high homerun to flyball rate, but also are worried that it won't correct itself this year.  I got the sense they will do their best to trade him.

I doubt they go with 4 starters.

NH actually said he should have traded for fringe prospects right?  Pretty shocking to admit that.

Yeah, I just heard the clip.  It was pretty brutal.

Also biertempfel just posted that niese is in the pen.
KLBuccos

Post by KLBuccos »

now the rotation looks like:

Cole

Liriano

Kuhl

Taillon

Locke

In the shadow:

Glasnow

Vogelsong

Banished to bullpen:

Niese

Nicasio

Things might change when Polanco is back. If there is a trade for a SP with Rays or Yanks, there will still be a logjam if Locke or Niese are not traded.

what is obvious is that we need Cole and Liriano to keep the score close and go deeper in innings.