Rotation to start 2nd half...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Just seeing what everyone's opinion is on what it should look like assuming everyone is healthy. Huntington said yesterday on his radio show that Glasnow is not only expected to be called back up but also be a significant part of the rotation the rest of the season. Here are my five guys moving forward that I feel give the Pirates the best chance to win every night. Cole, Liriano, Taillon,Glasnow, and for now I still leave Locke as my 5th starter and unless I can trade Niese I do what the Mets did to him last season and that is put him in the bullpen in a long relief type of role. Should be interesting to see which way the Pirates decide to go but I would bet that these are the five pitchers they will use consistently for awhile to begin the 2nd half starting Friday.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I'm wondering if they give Liriano an extended rest/more bullpens by starting him near the end of the turn through the rotation
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

I think it has to be:

Cole

Taillon

Glasnow

Liriano

Locke

If it were up to me personally, I'd go with Brault over Locke. I was very impressed with his one start.
mouse

Post by mouse »

They have the issue with Taillon of needing to limit his starts a little, so I would expect him to be later in the rotation. Otherwise, that list looks like what it most likely will be.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I think they can get creative during these first 3 weeks after the break. During that 20 game stretch after the Nationals series from July 18th to August 11th where the Pirates play teams with records at or below .500 with 14 of them being at PNC Park they have 5 off days mixed in between. So they aren't going to need a 5th starter for a few weeks if they mix and match correctly. This could give them the ability to skip guys like Taillon if they wish to save him some innings. But I am not in favor of that. I say pitch your best guys and give yourself the best possible opportunity to win as many games as possible.

Also, with this many off days coming up the next 3 weeks plus this 4 day break the Pirates have now with the All Star Break there is no excuse for Hurdle to be resting players that are hot or giving guys days off for no reason. You're at a point in the season now where you cant afford to do things like that seeing that every game and every win you pick up is so precious.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

5C7B6A6E6B76497D6A6B6B760F0 wrote:

Also, with this many off days coming up the next 3 weeks plus this 4 day break the Pirates have now with the All Star Break there is no excuse for Hurdle to be resting players that are hot or giving guys days off for no reason. You're at a point in the season now where you cant afford to do things like that seeing that every game and every win you pick up is so precious.

True. But Hurdle is Hurdle.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

765B56474051460605340 wrote:

Yes he sure is. And I love Clint and his ability to keep this team focused and his positive attitude. I think it did wonders for the team turning their season around the last 2-3 weeks after that horrific June. But sometimes his moves of giving guys days off or pulling this guy for that guy make no sense.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

1F38292D28350A3E292828354C0 wrote:

Yes he sure is. And I love Clint and his ability to keep this team focused and his positive attitude. I think it did wonders for the team turning their season around the last 2-3 weeks after that horrific June. But sometimes his moves of giving guys days off or pulling this guy for that guy make no sense.

We keep saying that, but on the other hand they keep getting results. So who knows.
Jonathan34

Post by Jonathan34 »

Any word on the rotation?

I'll be at the game Saturday night in Washington, DC. I'd love to see Cole, Taillon or Glasnow.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Just read a very interesting tweet on the Pittsburgh Tribune that stated coming out of the All Star Break Indy's pitchers will be Boscan, Williams, Brault, and Duncan. Since Glasnow is not mentioned I wonder if he is joining the Bucs in DC. I am also going to assume that Taillon, and Cole will be coming off the DL. If all 3 guys join the team I would guess that Kuhl, Bell and ? would be leaving the 25 man roster. Could a trade be in the works for whomever the third player would be to be removed from the roster.