2022 Draft

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SteadyFreddy

2022 Draft

Post by SteadyFreddy »

082D2E2E3B102D252730420 wrote: Johnson was certainly considered the best contact hitter in this draft.  If you preferred someone with a little more power, well check this out..

https://www.mlb.com/video/johnson-s-six ... lus-homers

Impressive

Feeling even better about the pick

He may end up supplanting Hayes at third
Yea he looks very good and certainly doesn’t lack confidence. I could see him taking Hayes spot like you mentioned. Hayes continues to be extremely disappointing this season. His numbers are just not good enough for a guy you paying 70 million dollars too and supposed to be the face of the franchise. Hayes needs to be better moving forward he has just not been good enough.
UtahPirate

2022 Draft

Post by UtahPirate »

406566667358656D6F780A0 wrote: 44th pick is Hunter Barco, LHP from U. of Florida.

I don’t understand this pick at all

Why would the Pirates draft a pitcher that under went TJ surgery in May. Also he was only rated as #68 and the Pirates used their 44th slot on him. They could have taken the #11 prospect Brock Porter RHP, or 2 other highly rated LHP in Ferris with their 44 slot or Snelling with their #36. Both higher rated than Barco or Harrington. I’m curious to hear the rationale. So far this draft does not compare to last years success IMO

Maybe I ended up too much a fan of last year's strategy that netted us 4 Top 100 prospects and a couple of other HS kids that were a surprise. Because of that I would think this might be a move to get a pitcher with a high ceiling that will definitely go under slot. I think they'll get Harrington a little under slot as well. The big question is will the be able to save much on Johnson - and I wouldn't think so, but even a little would help as his slot number is pretty high.

Your answer will probably be revealed as today's picks role out and kids get signed. We'll see what the Bucs have up their sleeves and I hope they pull off a coup or two. Like I said, last year's draft was pretty impressive in my mind.

mouse

2022 Draft

Post by mouse »

Wow, Rocker signed already with Texas for 5.2 MM, well under-slot. Boras is his agent.
SammyKhalifa

2022 Draft

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Brannigan, Jack

Notre Dame (IN)

4YR JR

6' 1" 190lbs

DOB:03/11/01

$770.30k

Brannigan has the best college arm in the Midwest and can look like a first-rounder at times -- but it's hard to scout him on the mound. He worked just 14 2/3 innings this season, giving him 23 1/3 in three years at Notre Dame, and he prefers to play third base and wants to sign as a position player. A pro team may have to give him the opportunity to hit before trying to persuade him to become a full-time pitcher. Brannigan's fastball sits at 95-97 mph and reaches 100 with armside run, and he generates premium velocity with little effort. His mid-80s slider can be a wipeout pitch at times with quality depth as well as some horizontal action. He even shows some feel for a fading changeup with similar velocity, though he doesn't use it very often. Primarily a reliever for the Fighting Irish, Brannigan has the three-pitch mix, resilience and athleticism to make it as a starter. He'd need to improve his control and his consistency, which should happen if he focuses on pitching. A solid defender at third base with obvious arm strength, he makes contact from the right side of the plate and has the potential for average power but didn't drive the ball with wood bats in the Cape Cod League last summer.
SammyKhalifa

2022 Draft

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Kennedy, Michael

Troy HS (NY)

USA

P

L/L

HS SR

6' 1" 205lbs

DOB:11/30/04

$554.60k

Upstate New York may not seem like a place to look for high-end baseball talent, but in the last several years, scouts have found some, from catcher Joe Mack, taken at the end of the first round in 2021 to Ian Anderson, the No. 3 overall pick in the 2016 Draft. The top talent from the area in 2022 is Kennedy, a young lefty with projection and a really good feel to pitch. That was on display across the summer, landing him a spot on USA Baseball’s 18U National Team and helping him stand out at events like the Area Code Games. He was slowed a bit early with a non-arm injury, but threw well once he got going in mid-April. Kennedy has a solid three-pitch mix and a very advanced idea of how to use it. The 6-foot-1 southpaw doesn’t light up radar guns now, with a fastball that tops out at 92 mph, but it has good riding life up in the zone, he hides it well and he’s not afraid to go after hitters with it. He’ll miss bats consistently with his slider, a breaking ball he will throw in the upper-70s more often than not. He’s not afraid to throw his changeup to lefties and righties, thrown around 81 mph with good arm speed and deception. A good athlete who exudes confidence on the mound, Kennedy holds runners well and repeats his delivery consistently, leading to excellent overall command. There’s more in the tank to come as he physically matures and that, along with the fact he’ll still be 17 at Draft time, should add interest in this LSU recruit.
ArnoldRothstein

2022 Draft

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

Brannigan: 28 strikeouts in 14.2 innings, but 16 H allowed. Hit .290ish for ND with some walks, added power this year.
SammyKhalifa

2022 Draft

Post by SammyKhalifa »

54677B7A7971477A617D6661707C7B150 wrote: Brannigan: 28 strikeouts in 14.2 innings, but 16 H allowed. Hit .290ish for ND with some walks, added power this year.
Yeah, it seems weird to judge what you have off of 14 innings. We sure seem to like those two way players though.
UtahPirate

2022 Draft

Post by UtahPirate »

44767A7A6E5C7F767B7E7176170 wrote: 4

Kennedy, Michael

Troy HS (NY)

USA

P

L/L

HS SR

6' 1" 205lbs

DOB:11/30/04

$554.60k

Upstate New York may not seem like a place to look for high-end baseball talent, but in the last several years, scouts have found some, from catcher Joe Mack, taken at the end of the first round in 2021 to Ian Anderson, the No. 3 overall pick in the 2016 Draft. The top talent from the area in 2022 is Kennedy, a young lefty with projection and a really good feel to pitch. That was on display across the summer, landing him a spot on USA Baseball’s 18U National Team and helping him stand out at events like the Area Code Games. He was slowed a bit early with a non-arm injury, but threw well once he got going in mid-April. Kennedy has a solid three-pitch mix and a very advanced idea of how to use it. The 6-foot-1 southpaw doesn’t light up radar guns now, with a fastball that tops out at 92 mph, but it has good riding life up in the zone, he hides it well and he’s not afraid to go after hitters with it. He’ll miss bats consistently with his slider, a breaking ball he will throw in the upper-70s more often than not. He’s not afraid to throw his changeup to lefties and righties, thrown around 81 mph with good arm speed and deception. A good athlete who exudes confidence on the mound, Kennedy holds runners well and repeats his delivery consistently, leading to excellent overall command. There’s more in the tank to come as he physically matures and that, along with the fact he’ll still be 17 at Draft time, should add interest in this LSU recruit.

LSU recruit. Here's the first pick we've made that is going to need more than his slot position.
ChillinStation

2022 Draft

Post by ChillinStation »

Besides the first pick, I`m not excited about any of these guys. >:(