Pitch clock likely for 2018

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dmetz

Post by dmetz »

The best change for the game is the one they're still not going with. Electronic balls and strikes.

I can't wait for that to happen. Will purify the true competition between the batter, pitcher and catcher. No more extra 3 inches of zone because of the name on the back of the Jersey.

Pure equality under the rules!
NJBucsFan

Post by NJBucsFan »

Has there ever been a real analysis of where the extra time comes from? How many minutes are from mound visits, how much from stepping out of the box, how much from pitchers taking longer to throw the ball, how much from added commercials?

I don't know why I remember this, but I grew up listening to Orioles games in the 80s, and Jon Miller would always kick off the season with a light hearted introduction to baseball. There are nine innings, four balls gets you a walk, that kind of thing. And part of the introduction was that games take an average of two and a half hours, and that was about right. Now that's a pretty severe outlier.
mouse

Post by mouse »

A big time-waster to me are all the throws to first. That and the trend to see how many pitches a batter can make the pitcher throw (so as to tire him out). Not sure there is a solution to the first matter, but enlarging the strike zone a hair might get more swings and cut down on people taking those really close ones. (Give all pitchers the Maddox strike zone.)

If the goal is to make the game interesting and exciting, extra innings does that in and of itself. There is a lot of tension in an extra inning game.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

I agree with DMetz, electronic ball and strike calls would be big improvement.

Limiting mound visits is ok at Major league level, maybe pitch clock. Perhaps reduce number of warm up pitches for relievers. Otherwise leave game alone.

Banning batting gloves would save time too but it isn't even proposed.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

May I suggest something that is very simple compared to what MLB and this thread seem to be suggesting, a pitch clocks, limited visits etc.

Saw this on the Bucs vs BoSox game today in the 8th inning. Seems Steve Lyons BoSox colorman was in the booth with Joe Block and Greg Brown and they were suggesting to simply increase the size of the strike zone. It will make the hitters more aggressive and this fewer hitters being picky about swinging about a pitch that is hitable but a just a bit off the plate. This will shorten games and only have a minor effect on offensive production according to Lyons.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

When was the last time the strike zone was changed? It's very hard to change things to where stats will be affected.

Electronic strike zones needs to happen. It wouldn't lose any umpire jobs, it will make their job easier.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

2F242C2025243F7A7C0B322A2324246528244B0 wrote: When was the last time the strike zone was changed?  It's very hard to change things to where stats will be affected.

Electronic strike zones needs to happen. It wouldn't lose any umpire jobs, it will make their job easier.
I agree about an electronic strike zone. I don't want the strike zone enlarged. I just want it enforced. Which would have the effect of enlarging it anyway. It's supposed to be from the knees to the letters. But it's generally called from the knees to the belt which reduces it by half. Instead of putting balls in play on pitches above the belt, players can take those pitches, extend the AB, possibly walk and extend the inning. If the correct zone was called, batters would be more aggressive. And if it results in more hits and fewer walks, it just makes the game more exciting. But umpires won't call the correct zone so that responsibility should be taken away from them. The home plate ump would have a piece in his ear to tell him what the pitch is. He would signal so everyone knows the count. He would still be there for plays at the plate.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

5B767B6A6D7C6B2B28190 wrote: When was the last time the strike zone was changed?  It's very hard to change things to where stats will be affected.

I agree about an electronic strike zone. I don't want the strike zone enlarged. I just want it enforced. Which would have the effect of enlarging it anyway. It's supposed to be from the knees to the letters. But it's generally called from the knees to the belt which reduces it by half. Instead of putting balls in play on pitches above the belt, players can take those pitches, extend the AB, possibly walk and extend the inning. If the correct zone was called, batters would be more aggressive. And if it results in more hits and fewer walks, it just makes the game more exciting. But umpires won't call the correct zone so that responsibility should be taken away from them. The home plate ump would have a piece in his ear to tell him what the pitch is. He would signal so everyone knows the count. He would still be there for plays at the plate.

what Bobster says seems like it should be a no brainer. Have any baseball officials, umpires or players said they think this is a good idea? If they don't I wonder what their reasons are.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

795F5E495F4F3C0 wrote: When was the last time the strike zone was changed?  It's very hard to change things to where stats will be affected.

what Bobster says seems like it should be a  no brainer.  Have any baseball officials, umpires or players said they think this is a good idea?  If they don't I wonder what their reasons are.

I'd be for it as long as they didn't make it intrusive. No scoreboard alarm or anything, just a call from the ump as always
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Eric Byrnes umpired a game with an electric strike zone in the minors. The fans had no idea. It was a segment on HBO's Real Sports.