Pitch clock likely for 2018

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I'm torn.  Part of me is super super conservative (in baseball, not politics or life) and don't want rules to ever change.  The other part absolutely abhors long games.  Baseball should be like 2 1/2 hours long.  Who was that guy for the mets, the guy that I saw pitch like six times one season and wanted to throttle?  Oh yeah, Steve Trachsel. 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/01/ ... isits.html
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Hasn't this always been a rule? Pitchers have 20 seconds to make a move. I have never seen it enforced. But if you count between pitches, you will rarely reach 20 seconds.

In my opinion, this is a non issue. It rarely (rarely) comes into play.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

You're probably right. It certainly SEEMS like an eternity from some pitchers though. I'd add players with ridiculous delays between pitches too. SOMETHING is dragging the games . . .
dogknot17@yahoo.co

1A2824243002212825202F28490 wrote: You're probably right.  It certainly SEEMS like an eternity from some pitchers though.  I'd add players with ridiculous delays between pitches too.  SOMETHING is dragging the games . . .

The hitters have been corrected. They stayed in the box last year and the umpires enforced it too. No more Mike Hargroves or Nomar Garciparras.

I don't mind the length of the games. Less time between innings would help, but that is the advertising money they won't cut.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

The only thing better than catching a ballgame is catching a 2:15 ballgame.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

I am all for this. I hate waiting sooooooo stinking long between pitches.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

707572747C766F727B686E631A0 wrote: I am all for this.  I hate waiting sooooooo stinking long between pitches. 

Start counting. It is like 10 seconds.

I did this a few years ago when I heard about this rule. It is a rule I have never seen enforced, so I started counting to myself. Very rare to be at 20 seconds.

I am a big fan of Ray Miller. His motto: Work fast. Change speeds. Throw strikes.
PMike

Post by PMike »

Good start. Now stop letting the catchers go the the mound to waste time.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

405D797B75100 wrote: Good start.  Now stop letting the catchers go the the mound to waste time.

Make cattle prods part of official umpire equipment
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

666D65696C6D763335427B636A6D6D2C616D020 wrote: You're probably right.  It certainly SEEMS like an eternity from some pitchers though.  I'd add players with ridiculous delays between pitches too.  SOMETHING is dragging the games . . .

The hitters have been corrected.  They stayed in the box last year and the umpires enforced it too.  No more Mike Hargroves or Nomar Garciparras. 

I don't mind the length of the games.  Less time between innings would help, but that is the advertising money they won't cut.

Good point Dog. Shorter games and fewer ad $s means less money for the players and salaries might be lower but you are right the owners will never do anything to cut revenue like that.