Kang to miss the start of spring training

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I think this news came as a a shock to the FO. It has always seemed reasonable to assume Kang would eventually be there. So it would have made no sense to acquire another starting third baseman. And in the event Kang didn't return they already had Freese. Freese can be a productive player in about 400 ABs. Harrison played a lot of 3B until Walker was traded and it seems they would like to get Frazier as many ABs as possible from a reserve role. So I could see Harrison at 3B and Frazier at 2B frequently to rest Freese. Also Gosselin can play 3B. That scenario is probably better than acquiring someone at this late date, considering they won't trade for a player with a big contract and teams are not likely to deal a good player at this late date anyway.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I bet Pedro's available

*ducks*
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6D5F53534775565F5257585F3E0 wrote: I bet Pedro's available

*ducks*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8rxPrV ... 8rxPrV-tn4
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

4A676A7B7C6D7A3A39080 wrote: I think this news came as a a shock to the FO. It has always seemed reasonable to assume Kang would eventually be there. So it would have made no sense to acquire another starting third baseman. And in the event Kang didn't return they already had Freese. Freese can be a productive player in about 400 ABs. Harrison played a lot of 3B until Walker was traded and it seems they would like to get Frazier as many ABs as possible from a reserve role. So I could see Harrison at 3B and Frazier at 2B frequently to rest Freese. Also Gosselin can play 3B. That scenario is probably better than acquiring someone at this late date, considering they won't trade for a player with a big contract and teams are not likely to deal a good player at this late date anyway.    

They may not have expected it to happen, but I think they were preparing for the possibility when they put him on the restricted list earlier this spring.

dmetz

Post by dmetz »

Jose Quintana is still on the trade block.

I suggest the best way NOW to make up the difference between Kang and Freese is to hold opponents to less runs. We are assured to score fewer.

Kang will eventually get back in. Maybe next year. Maybe in a month.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

6F666E7F710B0 wrote: Jose Quintana is still on the trade block.   

I suggest the best way NOW to make up the difference between Kang and Freese is to hold opponents to less runs.  We are assured to score fewer.

Kang will eventually get back in.   Maybe next year. Maybe in a month. 

Eh, I would suggest that if Kang isn't back there is less of a reason to pick up a pitcher. :-/
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

0A272A3B3C2D3A7A79480 wrote: I bet Pedro's available

*ducks*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8rxPrV ... 8rxPrV-tn4

Be careful, Dog may take you serious! ;D ;D ;D And the link was spot on!
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

7E7B7C7A7278617C7566606D140 wrote:

They may not have expected it to happen, but I think they were preparing for the possibility when they put him on the restricted list earlier this spring.

They can take him off that list at any time. One just needs approval by MLB to get on and off the list.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

343F373B3E3F246167102931383F3F7E333F500 wrote:

They can take him off that list at any time.  One just needs approval by MLB to get on and off the list.

Not that simple in Kang's case. He needs some big permission from the Korean Courts in form of a reduction in his sentence for being a drunk and from the US in the form of a valid work visa. Neither of which he has right now. When he gets that stuff then we can talk about taking him off the restricted list.

He is on the restricted list on to make sure the Bucs still have his MLB rights if things do get fixed so he can come to the US hopefully a sober drunk and play some baseball.
RichD

Post by RichD »

Pirates play Toronto (Canada) in August...Canada doesn`t allow people with DUI`s into their country. They are considered felons .

I can`t visit Canada. :-[

Sucks about Kang,but he made some good money and did great for us while it lasted.