Mets to Sign Jay Bruce

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

Mets to Sign Jay Bruce

Post by SammyKhalifa »

7868695E4848442B0 wrote: Jerry Crasnick

@jcrasnick

One baseball man on Jay Bruce’s 3-year, $39M deal with the #Mets: “Clearly, all of the free agents are getting antsy. I understand why he took it. A lot of guys are going to do much worse.” Between 25 and 30 outfielders are still unsigned.

That also makes me ask why trade cutch now if OFers are growing on trees.
Yeah I wouldn't just give him away.

He is not resigning here.  I would imagine he would want to go to a team that has a chance to compete for a title.  That ain't happening here.  Now is the time to deal him.  Give away?  No, but don't ask for the moon either.  Get something in return.

if the return isn't at least equal to a compensation pick I would not bother.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Mets to Sign Jay Bruce

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

0A1A1B2C3A3A36590 wrote:

He is not resigning here.  I would imagine he would want to go to a team that has a chance to compete for a title.  That ain't happening here. .

You say that, but why did Bruce sign with the Mets? Why did Santana go to the Phillies?
DemDog

Mets to Sign Jay Bruce

Post by DemDog »

202B232F2A2B307573043D252C2B2B6A272B440 wrote:

He is not resigning here.  I would imagine he would want to go to a team that has a chance to compete for a title.  That ain't happening here. .

You say that, but why did Bruce sign with the Mets?  Why did Santana go to the Phillies?

Why don't you ask Bruce and Santana that question?
dmetz

Mets to Sign Jay Bruce

Post by dmetz »

676C64686D6C773234437A626B6C6C2D606C030 wrote:

You say that, but why did Bruce sign with the Mets?  Why did Santana go to the Phillies?

Why don't we sign a Bruce?
Buccos1313

Mets to Sign Jay Bruce

Post by Buccos1313 »

64454D644F47200 wrote:

Possum, that was a fair question.... You riding dog, like many others here, is getting a bit annoying
Ecbucs

Mets to Sign Jay Bruce

Post by Ecbucs »

if the Pirates would have offered him 42 million over 3 years he would be wearing the black and gold now.
Docjon49

Mets to Sign Jay Bruce

Post by Docjon49 »

596E787874682A282A281B0 wrote:

Possum, that was a fair question.... You riding dog, like many others here, is getting a bit annoying

I agree, in general. I feel like Dog brings it on himself at times, but not EVERYTHING needs to be this way, and I do appreciate some of his points. Others, well, at least he keeps the place from being boring, and it geez it's been a dull winter. C'mon, it's been HORRIBLE. We're arguing about stuff we're IMAGINING is happening based on rumor, innate prejudice and hearsay, (who blew what would-be-trade) because there's nothing else to talk about. The Cole to Astros fiasco shows how (un)reliable those unsourced rumors are. The only other thing we've had to talk about is the outsized outrage over the usual blow-hard corporate BS the office is feeding us, like every corporation does every day of the year. It ain't right, but it's not new or unique to teh Bucs, or even baseball. It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Big ol' nothing sandwich so far. I'm in favor of anything that keeps things interesting. Man, bring up some weird trades and off-center ideas, I wanna hear it. Just don't get married to it, 'cause if it's a dog(so to speak) we're gonna call it a dog!

BTW, not a fan of signing Cutch at 4-for-$70 mil. Not saying we can't or shouldn't be able to afford it, but at the CURRENT APPARENT payroll (gotta figure what, $110mil?), it will cut into our ability to continue not signing other impact players :D
SammyKhalifa

Mets to Sign Jay Bruce

Post by SammyKhalifa »

654E424B4E4F1518210 wrote:

I agree, in general. I feel like Dog brings it on himself at times, but not EVERYTHING needs to be this way, and I do appreciate some of his points.  Others, well, at least he keeps the place from being boring, and it geez it's been a dull winter.  C'mon, it's been HORRIBLE.  We're arguing about stuff we're IMAGINING is happening based on rumor, innate prejudice and hearsay, (who blew what would-be-trade) because there's nothing else to talk about.  The Cole to Astros fiasco shows how (un)reliable those unsourced rumors are. The only other thing we've had to talk about is the outsized outrage over the usual blow-hard corporate BS the office is feeding us, like every corporation does every day of the year.  It ain't right, but it's not new or unique to teh Bucs, or even baseball.  It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Big ol' nothing sandwich so far.  I'm in favor of anything that keeps things interesting.  Man, bring up some weird trades and off-center ideas, I wanna hear it.  Just don't get married to it, 'cause if it's a dog(so to speak) we're gonna call it a dog!

BTW, not a fan of signing Cutch at 4-for-$70 mil.  Not saying we can't or shouldn't be able to afford it, but at the CURRENT APPARENT payroll (gotta figure what, $110mil?), it will cut into our ability to continue not signing other impact players   :D

Fangraphs with an article about how nobody is doing anything this offseason:

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/maybe-s ... ff-season/

Ken Rosenthal on how nobody's doing anything this offseason:

https://theathletic.com/205772/2018/01/ ... -analysis/

Tom Verducci on how on how nobody's doing anything this offseason:

https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/01/11/free- ... twitter_si

SLB Nation on how nobody's doing anything this offseason:

https://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2018/1/10/ ... ree-agency

While understandable, what annoys me is that it's a game-wide thing yet we see it only from a Pirates perspective of "the PIRATES aren't doing anything!"

(I think I like the Fangraphs explanation. The lower teams think the frontrunners are too good to catch so no point in signing big FA, and the frontrunners see no need to hurry.)

Docjon49

Mets to Sign Jay Bruce

Post by Docjon49 »

4A7874746052717875707F78190 wrote:

I agree, in general. I feel like Dog brings it on himself at times, but not EVERYTHING needs to be this way, and I do appreciate some of his points.  Others, well, at least he keeps the place from being boring, and it geez it's been a dull winter.  C'mon, it's been HORRIBLE.  We're arguing about stuff we're IMAGINING is happening based on rumor, innate prejudice and hearsay, (who blew what would-be-trade) because there's nothing else to talk about.  The Cole to Astros fiasco shows how (un)reliable those unsourced rumors are. The only other thing we've had to talk about is the outsized outrage over the usual blow-hard corporate BS the office is feeding us, like every corporation does every day of the year.  It ain't right, but it's not new or unique to teh Bucs, or even baseball.  It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Big ol' nothing sandwich so far.  I'm in favor of anything that keeps things interesting.  Man, bring up some weird trades and off-center ideas, I wanna hear it.  Just don't get married to it, 'cause if it's a dog(so to speak) we're gonna call it a dog!

BTW, not a fan of signing Cutch at 4-for-$70 mil.  Not saying we can't or shouldn't be able to afford it, but at the CURRENT APPARENT payroll (gotta figure what, $110mil?), it will cut into our ability to continue not signing other impact players   :D

Fangraphs with an article about how nobody is doing anything this offseason:

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/maybe-s ... ff-season/

Ken Rosenthal on how nobody's doing anything this offseason:

https://theathletic.com/205772/2018/01/ ... -analysis/

Tom Verducci on how on how nobody's doing anything this offseason:

https://www.si.com/mlb/2018/01/11/free- ... twitter_si

SLB Nation on how nobody's doing anything this offseason:

https://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2018/1/10/ ... ree-agency

While understandable, what annoys me is that it's a game-wide thing yet we see it only from a Pirates perspective of "the PIRATES aren't doing anything!"

My apologies if I gave that impression. It's been pretty well discussed that it's been a fairly slow season throughout all of baseball - even in this thread. That does NOT mean I read that, understood it, or agreed with it though, so perhaps I could have been more clear. As a Bucs fan, I was more concerned about the home team, while not intending to actually blame them solely for doing something most other teams were also doing. Just expressing the usual off-season boredom/frustration.

(time passes)

Rereading my post, I'm wondering if perhaps you weren't directly addressing me, but piggybacking on what I said and adding to it, as I don't think I GAVE the impression that the Bucs were the outlier in the league. Or maybe it's just a message-board taint, carried over from all the posts you've read that actually did that.
SammyKhalifa

Mets to Sign Jay Bruce

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I'm sorry, yeah--wasn't trying to accuse you of anything of the quote, you just made me continue a thought. Didn't mean to make it look that way.

It IS interesting (meaning=entirely boring haha) how the offseason has played out.