Off Season

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

Off Season

Post by Surgnbuck »

I wasn't self appointed or an expert. Shed asked me to do it this year.

I normally mock the proceedings. I didn't decline the offer because I don't mind if people mock my contributions. It's all in fun. This thread goes back to the mlb message boards, back in the day. It was just as silly then, but TBH as there isn't much to talk about over the offseason, it kind of funnels most of the posts into it, and some good conversation comes of it.

Bobster21

Off Season

Post by Bobster21 »

7E585F4A434F584E462D0 wrote: I wasn't self appointed or an expert. Shed asked me to do it this year.

I normally mock the proceedings. I didn't decline the offer because I don't mind if people mock my contributions. It's all in fun. This thread goes back to the mlb message boards, back in the day. It was just as silly then, but TBH as there isn't much to talk about over the offseason, it kind of funnels most of the posts into it, and some good conversation comes of it.

It's nice to discuss off season moves of the Pirates and other teams but last year that thread was primarily an excuse for Shedman and 1 or 2 others to just repeat every day the same comments about "kick the can," etc. That's not going to happen this year. That same type of annoying behavior will result in posts being deleted, the thread being shut down, or the can of a poster or 2 being kicked out of OBN.
Bobster21

Off Season

Post by Bobster21 »

2A69706B786D7C6A2A190 wrote: I find the same people who insist everyone else "talk baseball" have no issue going off-topic themselves whenever it suits them.
There's a difference between going off topic and repeating the same comments ad nauseum in response to every comment. But if it bothers you that much, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Bobster21

Off Season

Post by Bobster21 »

0F4C554E5D48594F0F3C0 wrote: I don't think I repeat the same comments except possibly to note the ones repeated continually by others.  We usually don't get the annual "talk baseball" lecture until Spring Training when others want to cover up the fact all their "wait and see" offseason talk amounted to nothing.  My earlier comment was more in response to that, not your preceding comment Bobster.
If I misconstrued your comment, I apologize. It followed my comment regarding Shedman (primarily) repeating the same comment every day. That doesn't apply to you as you only have a handful of posts. But it looked like a slap at me (since it followed my comment) and anyone else who has an issue with someone repeating the same comment every day as was done in last year's off season thread. Although I don't know what you mean about the "annual talk baseball lecture" especially if you've only been on OBN since last December. Was that at the PMB?
WildwoodDave2

Off Season

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

531009120114051353600 wrote: Sorry, I should've quoted the comment I was replying to.  Fighting a migraine lately so just typed one in after yours.  My fault.

Yes, the "talk baseball" speech was an annual occurrence at the PMB during Spring Training.  It was done to deflect attention away from another empty offseason.  I also think some of it was jealousy of other teams making moves at the big boy table.  As SB mentioned there's no games or anything to discuss during the offseason so we're mostly left with signings and trades.   
Correct, and we graded the signing 0-5
shedman

Off Season

Post by shedman »

And now the countdown is down to 6.
fjk090852-7

Off Season

Post by fjk090852-7 »

0D4E574C5F4A5B4D0D3E0 wrote: The Braves and Brewers reportedly made “big-time offers” for Bryan Reynolds.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/09/ ... nolds.html
I would hope they could extend Reynolds, but with Boras as his agent I doubt it will happen. They may have to go year to year with him in arbitration.
PMike

Off Season

Post by PMike »

4A4D5B535D4A0D01785F55595154165B5755380 wrote: The  comment about drafting, developing, trading etc is the way to improve a last place team, is spot on. That is what Ben Cherington and his group are doing, and I have said it more than once [highlight]he would not have come to Pittsburgh if he did not receive assurances that when the time comes he will add pieces for the organization to contend for the postseason.[/highlight]

I wouldn't be surprised that BC received those assurances.  I also wouldn't be surprised if Nutting didn't carry through with them.  Is there anything that you've seen from Nutting since he gained control of the franchise that would suggest he would honor his promise?  Me neither.
You are so right about the way that Bob Nutting has run this franchise. Notwithstanding, I either read, or heard that after the 2019 season the Nutting family, possibly Mr. Nutting , was not pleased how the media and fans were writing and talking negatively towards the family. I may be in the minority, but I think the current management group including Travis Williams, as well as BC group have been given the directive to right the organization. I might be wrong, but I am going to continue to remain positive with the current Management Group.

Agreed.  I’ll go further - the current management team is doing an excellent job establishing a foundation to build a team.  It or may not be successful, but they are working a plan which is not only realistic but the ONLY realistic plan that has a chance to succeed. 

And count me as one that has grown weary of the same posts over and over by a few.  I’ve been off the board for two-three weeks as a result. 

Go kick your cans down some other lane.  Sheeze.

Oh, and I can’t wait to see what this self appointed expert panel is going to bring to the rest of our lives.  Oh boy.   

Maybe the mods can assign numbers 1, 2 and 3 to those posters who say the same three things over in every thread. 

Sorry for my surly attitude.  But most of this isn’t baseball talk, it’s a private bi!ch session carried out in public. 

(To be clean, I am not referring to Utah’s venting; he was actually offering ways forward).

Thanks for writing this VA. It's spot on for me. We bought the minor league tv package this year and have had a really good time watching some great baseball at the minor league levels. I have had a hard time being interested in the Pirates because these guys aren't going to be the ones who are on the team when they make the playoffs. I haven't read much on this board since the season began because it is largely the same stuff every day. I check it out, see that it's SSDD and leave for a month or two. I hope Bobster is right moving forward.

And I would further say that I appreciate the overwhelmingly negative perspective. I'm not there, but it leads to good banter. But it's annoying when it turns to the same talking points all of the time. This franchise is in a fascinating place. The big league team is terrible, but they have really built something in the minors. This is what they did 10 years ago. Though from some posters, you'd think they were about to step into their 30th year of losing.
fjk090852-7

Off Season

Post by fjk090852-7 »

4B5672707E1B0 wrote: The  comment about drafting, developing, trading etc is the way to improve a last place team, is spot on. That is what Ben Cherington and his group are doing, and I have said it more than once [highlight]he would not have come to Pittsburgh if he did not receive assurances that when the time comes he will add pieces for the organization to contend for the postseason.[/highlight]

I wouldn't be surprised that BC received those assurances.  I also wouldn't be surprised if Nutting didn't carry through with them.  Is there anything that you've seen from Nutting since he gained control of the franchise that would suggest he would honor his promise?  Me neither.
You are so right about the way that Bob Nutting has run this franchise. Notwithstanding, I either read, or heard that after the 2019 season the Nutting family, possibly Mr. Nutting , was not pleased how the media and fans were writing and talking negatively towards the family. I may be in the minority, but I think the current management group including Travis Williams, as well as BC group have been given the directive to right the organization. I might be wrong, but I am going to continue to remain positive with the current Management Group.

Agreed.  I’ll go further - the current management team is doing an excellent job establishing a foundation to build a team.  It or may not be successful, but they are working a plan which is not only realistic but the ONLY realistic plan that has a chance to succeed. 

And count me as one that has grown weary of the same posts over and over by a few.  I’ve been off the board for two-three weeks as a result. 

Oh, and I can’t wait to see what this self appointed expert panel is going to bring to the rest of our lives.  Oh boy.   

Maybe the mods can assign numbers 1, 2 and 3 to those posters who say the same three things over in every thread. 

Sorry for my surly attitude.  But most of this isn’t baseball talk, it’s a private bi!ch session carried out in public. 

(To be clean, I am not referring to Utah’s venting; he was actually offering ways forward).

Thanks for writing this VA.  It's spot on for me.  We bought the minor league tv package this year and have had a really good time watching some great baseball at the minor league levels.  I have had a hard time being interested in the Pirates because these guys aren't going to be the ones who are on the team when they make the playoffs.  I haven't read much on this board since the season began because it is largely the same stuff every day.  I check it out, see that it's SSDD and leave for a month or two.  I hope Bobster is right moving forward.

And I would further say that I appreciate the overwhelmingly negative perspective.  I'm not there, but it leads to good banter.  But it's annoying when it turns to the same talking points all of the time.  This franchise is in a fascinating place.  The big league team is terrible, but they have really built something in the minors.  This is what they did 10 years ago.  Though from some posters, you'd think they were about to step into their 30th year of losing.

Thanks for posting this PMike. You are so correct about what the Pirates have built in the minor league. The major league team is going to be very exciting in two years. Some of the high end prospects will arrive in mid 2022, which will make that team interesting down the stretch. I don’t give a darn about giving a team a point or two when they make some offseason signing or acquisition. Who cares! Most of the time that just causes more negative posts against the Pirates because they did not sign some particular player. Enjoy the offseason, if the Bucs make a trade or a signing we make our comments either positive or negative. The Pirates will have an interesting offseason beginning with the makeup of the 40 man winter roster. The biggest offseason move is whether the Owners and Players can agree on a new Labor Agreement, and if it contains changes regarding free agency, arbitration, expanding playoffs, the DH, as well as maybe a salary floor. Come Monday let’s enjoy the offseason.
rucker59@gmail.com

Off Season

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

070B0A5158515954534C56610 wrote: The  comment about drafting, developing, trading etc is the way to improve a last place team, is spot on. That is what Ben Cherington and his group are doing, and I have said it more than once [highlight]he would not have come to Pittsburgh if he did not receive assurances that when the time comes he will add pieces for the organization to contend for the postseason.[/highlight]

Thanks for writing this VA.  It's spot on for me.  We bought the minor league tv package this year and have had a really good time watching some great baseball at the minor league levels.  I have had a hard time being interested in the Pirates because these guys aren't going to be the ones who are on the team when they make the playoffs.  I haven't read much on this board since the season began because it is largely the same stuff every day.  I check it out, see that it's SSDD and leave for a month or two.  I hope Bobster is right moving forward.

And I would further say that I appreciate the overwhelmingly negative perspective.  I'm not there, but it leads to good banter.  But it's annoying when it turns to the same talking points all of the time.  This franchise is in a fascinating place.  The big league team is terrible, but they have really built something in the minors.  This is what they did 10 years ago.  Though from some posters, you'd think they were about to step into their 30th year of losing.

Thanks for posting this PMike. You are so correct about what the Pirates have built in the minor league. The major league team is going to be very exciting in two years. Some of the high end prospects will arrive in mid 2022, which will make that team interesting down the stretch. I don’t give a darn about giving a team a point or two when they make some offseason signing or acquisition.  Who cares! Most of the time that just causes more negative posts against the Pirates because they did not sign some particular player. Enjoy the offseason, if the Bucs make a trade or a signing we make our comments either positive or negative. The Pirates will have an interesting offseason beginning with the makeup of the 40 man winter roster. The biggest offseason move is whether the Owners and Players can agree on a new Labor Agreement, and if it contains changes regarding free agency, arbitration, expanding playoffs, the DH, as well as maybe a salary floor. Come Monday let’s enjoy the offseason.

Amen and Amen.

It’s fair to disagree with BC approach, but all of the BS that doesn’t even try to consider what he’s done so far is completely unfair and agenda driven.

What’s really interesting to me is that Ben started with very little to even flip.

Despite The perpetual personal agendas, the next two years are going to be a whirlwind. About 2023 There is every reason to anticipate meaningful baseball and it looks good for many years after that. Plenty to speak about this off-season and it’s actually about baseball.