Off Season

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

shedman

Off Season

Post by shedman »

Anticipation is building as in only 27 more days, the Off Season thread will start.
Surgnbuck

Off Season

Post by Surgnbuck »

Who will be the participants of the esteemed panel?
SteadyFreddy

Off Season

Post by SteadyFreddy »

One thing is for sure this team is not going to be very good next season either but one thing Cherrington needs to do and Nutting needs to okay this obviously which he probably won’t is spend some more damn money and go sign 2 or 3 free agents. Maybe 2 starting pitchers and one position player. The starting pitching on this team right now until guys like Priester, Mlodzinski, and Contreras arrive the next year or two just to name a few is non existent and needs help. I guess you can go into next season with Brault, Wilson and maybe Brubaker in the rotation but aside from that they gotta go out and spend some money and bring in some damn players who can pitch.
Bobster21

Off Season

Post by Bobster21 »

75524347425F60544342425F260 wrote: One thing is for sure this team is not going to be very good next season either but one thing Cherrington needs to do and Nutting needs to okay this obviously which he probably won’t  is spend some more damn money and go sign 2 or 3 free agents. Maybe 2 starting pitchers and one position player. The starting pitching on this team right now until guys like Priester, Mlodzinski, and  Contreras arrive the next year or two just to name a few is non existent and needs help. I guess you can go into next season with Brault, Wilson and maybe Brubaker in the rotation but aside from that they gotta go out and spend some money and bring in some damn players who can pitch.
Pitching will definitely be the problem. But I don't see good FA pitchers choosing the Pirates even if a competitive offer was made. They will probably have to settle for a Tyler Anderson type.

But the minors are looking good for position players within the next 2 years with Mason Martin (1B), Nick Gonzales (2B), Liover Peguero (SS), Henry Davis (C), Oneil Cruz (SS, OF), Rodolfo Castro (inf), Matt Fraizer (OF) and maybe Ji-hwan Bae, Canaan Smith-Njigba, Calvin Mitchell, Jack Suwinski, Travis Swaggerty.

I think we should start seeing some of those guys next year and a lot more in 2023 instead of always scanning the waiver wire for guys like Tom, Stokes, Fowler and Nogowski or DFA'ing someone and then having no other choice but to call him back (Craig).
shedman

Off Season

Post by shedman »

062027323B3720363E550 wrote: Who will be the participants of the esteemed panel?
__

You, Wildwood, and I would make a very distinguished and esteemed panel.
WildwoodDave2

Off Season

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

3E252829202C234D0 wrote: Who will be the participants of the esteemed panel?
__

Thank you Surg- I will be glad to offer my services.
UtahPirate

Off Season

Post by UtahPirate »

61465753564B74405756564B320 wrote: One thing is for sure this team is not going to be very good next season either but one thing Cherrington needs to do and Nutting needs to okay this obviously which he probably won’t  is spend some more damn money and go sign 2 or 3 free agents. Maybe 2 starting pitchers and one position player. The starting pitching on this team right now until guys like Priester, Mlodzinski, and  Contreras arrive the next year or two just to name a few is non existent and needs help. I guess you can go into next season with Brault, Wilson and maybe Brubaker in the rotation but aside from that they gotta go out and spend some money and bring in some damn players who can pitch.

BC loves the race for last place which brings the excitement of the draft. Plus, Nutting loves the profits. Both seem quite comfortable losing.

What's adding one more year to the mirage we all call "the window."

Why bring in free agents when we can look forward to the pieces we get for Stallings and with the window slipping, of course Reynolds.

Excuse me for being salty, but I've really tired of the Quad A tryout team we continue to field. My kids will soon be visiting my gravesite to whisper to the grass, "Dad the Pirates finally look like they are good again."

shedman

Off Season

Post by shedman »

6E4F5A536B52495A4F5E3B0 wrote: One thing is for sure this team is not going to be very good next season either but one thing Cherrington needs to do and Nutting needs to okay this obviously which he probably won’t  is spend some more damn money and go sign 2 or 3 free agents. Maybe 2 starting pitchers and one position player. The starting pitching on this team right now until guys like Priester, Mlodzinski, and  Contreras arrive the next year or two just to name a few is non existent and needs help. I guess you can go into next season with Brault, Wilson and maybe Brubaker in the rotation but aside from that they gotta go out and spend some money and bring in some damn players who can pitch.

BC loves the race for last place which brings the excitement of the draft. Plus, Nutting loves the profits. Both seem quite comfortable losing.

Why bring in free agents when we can look forward to the pieces we get for Stallings and with the window slipping, of course Reynolds.

Excuse me for being salty, but I've really tired of the Quad A tryout team we continue to field. My kids will soon be visiting my gravesite to whisper to the grass, "Dad the Pirates finally look like they are good again."

_______

Great post Utah!!!
GreenWeenie

Off Season

Post by GreenWeenie »

6F747978717D721C0 wrote: Who will be the participants of the esteemed panel?
__

Thanks a lot for that.

I bet that if you did a Recap of this past off-season's final point standings, we didn't do a bad job with respect to the current standings.

I say that for 2022, we should expand it to a separate Trade Deadline Thread.
GreenWeenie

Off Season

Post by GreenWeenie »

19382D241C253E2D38294C0 wrote: One thing is for sure this team is not going to be very good next season either but one thing Cherrington needs to do and Nutting needs to okay this obviously which he probably won’t  is spend some more damn money and go sign 2 or 3 free agents. Maybe 2 starting pitchers and one position player. The starting pitching on this team right now until guys like Priester, Mlodzinski, and  Contreras arrive the next year or two just to name a few is non existent and needs help. I guess you can go into next season with Brault, Wilson and maybe Brubaker in the rotation but aside from that they gotta go out and spend some money and bring in some damn players who can pitch.

You can always freak them out.  Here's what to get your ghost to whisper BACK:  "No, they'll be good in FIVE years!"

Cha-CHING!

Punt.  Sell That Future.