FIRE SALE!!

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

MaineBucs

FIRE SALE!!

Post by MaineBucs »

With Tallion continuing to look like a solid #2 starter, Nova providing consistent innings and often going deep in a game, and now Williams looking like a real find (at least for 6 innings), it may be time to look at Cole as being the team's 4th best starter.

Like a bottom of rotation starter he has an ERA in the range of 4.5, he has real problems going 5 innings (high pitch counts), he appears to have real maturity issues as miscues during the game lead to big innings too many times, and he is unreliable; a gem or two followed by a series of clunkers.

Perhaps now is not the best time to sell Cole because of his inconsistency, but if team's are willing to overpay, I believe the Bucs should be open to each and every offer. In short, selective retooling.

Continuing, I doubt trading Polanco would return much at this time. And, with Marte returning, and if Cutch stays, the Bucs should really think about moving J-Hay when his value may be at its highest. Marte replaces J-Hay in the line-up near the top of the order and Frazier, with a dose of Moroff, slides in to take over 2nd on a regular basis. Frazier does not appear to be that good with the glove, but perhaps he would settle down with a steady diet of play at one position.

Trading Cole and Harrison is considerably less than a fire sale, but it could add some young talent. I doubt that moving the likes of Watson or Nicassio would yield much (low A risky talent), and similarly, neither would trading players like Jaso or Stewart (likely simply released and then someone signing him as a major league minimum).

With Cervelli's return, I hope that the Bucs play him frequently over the next 10 days or so to see if he can demonstrate that he has some value to another team. If he does, he also would be a player to move; perhaps some talent in return and a bit of the often sought financial flexibility. Cervelli appears to have the greatest likelihood of being a future non-productive salary drain on the team.

Well --- on to Philly to see if there is any life left in this team.
BucAndEer

FIRE SALE!!

Post by BucAndEer »

363F372628520 wrote: There's isn't a bad core here.   As much as I agree with the sentiment, pretty much, in this thread, I'm stubbornly convinced that we aren't sitting in a bad spot to ADD TALENT and get competitive again almost immediately. 

Especially considering that a lot of these guys know what it means to win in the bigs.Yeah, I understand we're never going to ACTUALLY do that (add to a core of talent). 

Pittsburgh hoping that we can rebuild yet again and end up with a better, cheaper core of talent 3-4 years from now than what we have right now is a gigantic waste of time.   it's not a guarantee not to happen, but we will be sitting at approximately the same place.  about a .500 team (with all hands on deck) and the need to make a 2-3 moves.  

The pirates championship should be .500 ball teams.  If you end up .500 or above as often as you don't while maintaining the 26th-30th highest payroll year after year, you're the Bob Nutting Champion.   Give us a trophy.

Cleveland is calling folks.   There are pirates fans out east who drive further to see a pirates game than 50% of Pirates fans would otherwise have to drive to see an Indians game.   

I like this. The team in MLB with the highest ratio of wins to dollars spent gets the Nutting Trophy.
BucAndEer

FIRE SALE!!

Post by BucAndEer »

Of course, the Pirates won't win the inaugural Nutting Trophy this year. Won't even finish atop the NL Central. Not when the Brewers are in first place with the lowest opening day payroll in MLB.
Speedloader88

FIRE SALE!!

Post by Speedloader88 »

I am going to try to break up with the Pirates. I have decided that at age 46, the son of parents who still muse about their Clemente memories and the father of two kids who were donned in onesies with Pirate gear. I am asking for suggestions as to what team I should try to become a fan of but first, my favorite Pirate memory:

When my son was toddling around and probably just out of diapers, we would go each evening out into the street and play a full game of baseball together. He would wear a pair of Pirate shorts and a Pirate tang top with a little Pirate plastic helmet and a wiffle ball bat. While I was at work he would play MLB on the playstation and he memorized the lineup, the batting stances, the mannerisms and such of each Pirate. This was the Kendall, Giles era. I would be the pitcher and he would narrate the entire game while acting out the entire hitting lineup. (As an aside this also led him to being a switch hitter his entire baseball career through high school. Probably could have played some small college ball but decided to attend the US Naval Academy instead). When that kid was up at the plate, he was completely immersed in the Pirate at the plate and he would never break character for a moment until the game was over. The neighbors in the cul-de-sac would all come out and sit in lawn chairs to socialize and watch the evenings game. Every night they were treated to a Pirates victory, a Giles homerun, a Kendall triple, a Pat Meares hit into a double play or a Warren Morris strike out or two. He had Adrian Brown, Adam Hyzdu and even Wil Cordero down to a T and it was awesome. Poor kid memorized every single intricacy of a 73 win team. Many years later he attended a playoff baseball game at PNC park with his own dreams of playing ball in a Pirate uniform. He also scolded his father once at the Sheetz in Wheeling for asking Bob Nutting when he was going to "sell the damn team to somebody who gives a sh$%".

Man, I hate the Pirates...... anyway, what team should I follow now. I suspect in a few years my son or daughter will be having grandchildren and I want to be a better grandfather than I was a father and brand my grandchildren with a better organization. Whom then shall I follow?
Bobster21

FIRE SALE!!

Post by Bobster21 »

6645505051595A545150470D0D350 wrote: I am going to try to break up with the Pirates.  I have decided that at age 46, the son of parents who still muse about their Clemente memories and the father of two kids who were donned in onesies with Pirate gear. I am asking for suggestions as to what team I should try to become a fan of but first, my favorite Pirate memory:

When my son was toddling around and probably just out of diapers, we would go each evening out into the street and play a full game of baseball together.  He would wear a pair of Pirate shorts and a Pirate tang top with a little Pirate plastic helmet and a wiffle ball bat.  While I was at work he would play MLB on the playstation and he memorized the lineup, the batting stances, the mannerisms and such of each Pirate.  This was the Kendall, Giles era.  I would be the pitcher and he would narrate the entire game while acting out the entire hitting lineup.  (As an aside this also led him to being a switch hitter his entire baseball career through high school. Probably could have played some small college ball but decided to attend the US Naval Academy instead).  When that kid was up at the plate, he was completely immersed in the Pirate at the plate and he would never break character for a moment until the game was over.  The neighbors in the cul-de-sac would all come out and sit in lawn chairs to socialize and watch the evenings game.  Every night they were treated to a Pirates victory, a Giles homerun, a Kendall triple, a Pat Meares hit into a double play or a Warren Morris strike out or two.  He had Adrian Brown, Adam Hyzdu and even Wil Cordero down to a T and it was awesome.  Poor kid memorized every single intricacy of a 73 win team.  Many years later he attended a playoff baseball game at PNC park with his own dreams of playing ball in a Pirate uniform.  He also scolded his father once at the Sheetz in Wheeling for asking Bob Nutting when he was going to "sell the damn team to somebody who gives a sh$%".

Man, I hate the Pirates......  anyway, what team should I follow now.  I suspect in a few years my son or daughter will be having grandchildren and I want to be a better grandfather than I was a father and brand my grandchildren with a better organization.  Whom then shall I follow? 
When your son turns 30 he should look into attending a Pirates Fantasy camp. Great experience!
notes34

FIRE SALE!!

Post by notes34 »

183B2E2E2F27242A2F2E3973734B0 wrote: I am going to try to break up with the Pirates.  I have decided that at age 46, the son of parents who still muse about their Clemente memories and the father of two kids who were donned in onesies with Pirate gear. I am asking for suggestions as to what team I should try to become a fan of but first, my favorite Pirate memory:

When my son was toddling around and probably just out of diapers, we would go each evening out into the street and play a full game of baseball together.  He would wear a pair of Pirate shorts and a Pirate tang top with a little Pirate plastic helmet and a wiffle ball bat.  While I was at work he would play MLB on the playstation and he memorized the lineup, the batting stances, the mannerisms and such of each Pirate.  This was the Kendall, Giles era.  I would be the pitcher and he would narrate the entire game while acting out the entire hitting lineup.  (As an aside this also led him to being a switch hitter his entire baseball career through high school. Probably could have played some small college ball but decided to attend the US Naval Academy instead).  When that kid was up at the plate, he was completely immersed in the Pirate at the plate and he would never break character for a moment until the game was over.  The neighbors in the cul-de-sac would all come out and sit in lawn chairs to socialize and watch the evenings game.  Every night they were treated to a Pirates victory, a Giles homerun, a Kendall triple, a Pat Meares hit into a double play or a Warren Morris strike out or two.  He had Adrian Brown, Adam Hyzdu and even Wil Cordero down to a T and it was awesome.  Poor kid memorized every single intricacy of a 73 win team.  Many years later he attended a playoff baseball game at PNC park with his own dreams of playing ball in a Pirate uniform.  He also scolded his father once at the Sheetz in Wheeling for asking Bob Nutting when he was going to "sell the damn team to somebody who gives a sh$%".

Man, I hate the Pirates......  anyway, what team should I follow now.  I suspect in a few years my son or daughter will be having grandchildren and I want to be a better grandfather than I was a father and brand my grandchildren with a better organization.  Whom then shall I follow? 
I feel the same way. I had a friend when I was just 6 years old in 1979 that was already a huge Pirates fan. His family had built a shrine to Stargell and that era of Pirates baseball. I fell in love with the team then. I've been through all the bad years, and when they broke the streak I will admit that there were tears in my eyes. I didn't think I would ever in my lifetime see another winning season. With the team that was in place I thought we were in for a new era of Pirates baseball. The team was winning, the national media was covering us, life was good. Now just that quickly it appears it was just a mirage. Once again this cheap skate owner has flat out lied to us. He has handcuffed Neal with their self imposed internal values. I keep trying to pry myself away but I just keep watching and hoping. Much like you I've brought my son along for the ride, he is a rabid Pirates fan. He is himself an outstanding player with dreams of at least playing college ball. I am on the brink of giving up on the Pirates. When this next fire sale (rebuild) takes place I think I am done. I would think the O's would be my obvious choice of a new team to following because of their proximity. Somehow that doesn't feel right. I don't like AL baseball as much I suppose. I can't bring myself to root for the Phillies, so I just may start following the Cardinals as my dad, and granddad did. We shall see.
Docjon49

FIRE SALE!!

Post by Docjon49 »

52716464656D6E606564733939010 wrote: I am going to try to break up with the Pirates.  I have decided that at age 46, the son of parents who still muse about their Clemente memories and the father of two kids who were donned in onesies with Pirate gear. I am asking for suggestions as to what team I should try to become a fan of but first, my favorite Pirate memory:

I thought about this several years back, just before they turned things around in Pgh. I figured I might go with Boston. Long, storied history, a ballpark with character, a team with money, and they're AL, which means I won't have to worry about them running into the Pirates often. You know how awkward it is when you're with your girlfriend and run into your old girlfriend. . . and best of all, they're not the friggin' YANKEES!

The DH might be a feature here, instead of a bug. It changes the game enough that it might not feel as much like cheating to root for an AL team.
dmetz

FIRE SALE!!

Post by dmetz »

7B505C5550510B063F0 wrote: I am going to try to break up with the Pirates.  I have decided that at age 46, the son of parents who still muse about their Clemente memories and the father of two kids who were donned in onesies with Pirate gear. I am asking for suggestions as to what team I should try to become a fan of but first, my favorite Pirate memory:

I thought about this several years back, just before they turned things around in Pgh.  I figured I might go with Boston.  Long, storied history, a ballpark with character, a team with money, and they're AL, which means I won't have to worry about them running into the Pirates often.  You know how awkward it is when you're with your girlfriend and run into your old girlfriend. . . and best of all, they're not the friggin' YANKEES!

The DH might be a feature here, instead of a bug.  It changes the game enough that it might not feel as much like cheating to root for an AL team.

That's one of the things that has made following the Indians this year easier.  The DH does make it feel like it's a different league/different game.  It's not exclusionary rather it's more like having a team in each league.    

It's been quite easy to do because of that separation.  easier than I expected. I don't believe I could do it in the NL
IABucFan

FIRE SALE!!

Post by IABucFan »

515850414F350 wrote: I am going to try to break up with the Pirates.  I have decided that at age 46, the son of parents who still muse about their Clemente memories and the father of two kids who were donned in onesies with Pirate gear. I am asking for suggestions as to what team I should try to become a fan of but first, my favorite Pirate memory:

I thought about this several years back, just before they turned things around in Pgh.  I figured I might go with Boston.  Long, storied history, a ballpark with character, a team with money, and they're AL, which means I won't have to worry about them running into the Pirates often.  You know how awkward it is when you're with your girlfriend and run into your old girlfriend. . . and best of all, they're not the friggin' YANKEES!

The DH might be a feature here, instead of a bug.  It changes the game enough that it might not feel as much like cheating to root for an AL team.

That's one of the things that has made following the Indians this year easier.  The DH does make it feel like it's a different league/different game.  It's not exclusionary rather it's more like having a team in each league.    

It's been quite easy to do because of that separation.  easier than I expected.   I don't believe I could do it in the NL

Some of the teams I've considered adopting are, in no particular order:

1. Cardinals--they are very popular here in Iowa. Great tradition. Great fans. Great park. Great city. Commitment to winning.

2. Rangers--I like Dallas. I like their uniforms. Big market team who can compete for top free agents. I like their young core.

3. Rockies--I lived in Denver for five years, and I love the city. Honestly, if I could live anywhere in the world, I'd probably live in Denver. They're an easy team to root for also.

4. Astros--love how they built their team. Great young core. They are going to be very good for a very long time.

Honestly, this year has just about pushed me to the brink as a Pirates fan. I still semi pay attention. But, I'm much more apt to do something else in the evenings in a way that I wasn't from 2013-15. I can't stand bandwagon jumpers, but I wouldn't blame a Pirates fan in the least if they decided to jump ship. Ownership has communicated in no uncertain terms that they don't care one iota about winning a championship. (I actually do think they care about fielding a winning team, as that ensure more butts in seats, and more importantly, more eyes on Root every night. But, I'm convinced that they don't care about taking the necessary steps to move from being to competitive, to having a legit shot to win the whole stinking thing.)

I was actually in Steubenville, Ohio just prior to the Rays and Giants series. I actually pondered extending my stay and going to a few games, but ultimately opted against it as I'm so fed up with the Pirates this year, and I've been as pro-ownership as just about anyone.

I don't think I'll go to another game, certainly not this year. I'd like to get my dad to a game in PNC, but only because it's PNC, not because of the team on the field.

The Pirates have just about lost me, and I never thought I'd say that. I'm very seriously pondering putting the above four teams in a hat, pulling one out, and just making that my new team.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

FIRE SALE!!

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

The jumping on the bandwagon of another team is kind of funny. Especially, if it is because of the Ownership.

Not counting the Cardinals, only the Rangers make sense of the teams that were mentioned. The Rangers have made the playoffs five times in seven seasons under their current ownership.

The Indians have had the same owner for 16 years and made the post season four times. The Astros have had the same owner for six years and made the playoffs once. The Rockies have had the same owner in their franchise for twenty-three years and made the playoffs three times. The Pirates had the same owner for ten years and made three playoffs.

If ownership is your biggest problem, then why follow the Indians, Astros, or Rockies over the Pirates? They certainly don't care as much and aren't trying as hard.