FIRE SALE!!

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Speedloader88

FIRE SALE!!

Post by Speedloader88 »

I have been thinking about this club and what parts to trade. I have concluded that were I a general manager, I would put a "For Sale" sign up in the window and put everything on the sidewalk! The only players that would not be on the sidewalk sale would be Taillon and Josh Bell. I would move any and all other players on the major league club. I would expect significant returns for Cole (cause maybe some day), Harrison, Mercer, Nova and McCutchen. I would infuse this organization with as much young potential as possible and try to air out my barn by unloading as many roster players as possible.

Of course, I am also a reactionary type personality, so I know that many other types would consider this too radical and unbalanced. I understand that....
notes34

FIRE SALE!!

Post by notes34 »

I guess as Pirates fans we are just destined to be continually rebuilding with the hopes that someday enough young (cheap) talent performs well enough to maybe someday get into the wildcard game again. Everything has gone wrong this season so naturally we can't keep a cost controlled team for one more season. If we had Marte and Kang this team would look completely different. We may as well get ready for another 20 years of losing. I am really considering changing teams as heart wrenching as that is. This whole scenario is worse than the 20 year streak. I already saw this morning that Harrison to Boston is underway. Cutch can't be far behind. We will hang onto Polanco though, because there is so much potential there.(cheaper than than Harrison and Cutch) We will in the offseason hope and pray for a miracle but Neal will go dumpster diving and throw away 4M here and 3M there until his small amount of resources are squandered away. I've seen this episode already. I can't bare to waste anymore time on an organization that only cares about counting their stacks of cash instead of polishing championship trophies.
Speedloader88

FIRE SALE!!

Post by Speedloader88 »

Notes, I totally feel what you're saying!!  I lived in the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia from 1994 through 2001.  That was Orioles Country with a smattering of Pirate fans.  I clinged to my Jason Kendall and Brian Giles era Bucco's but over time my heart softened for the Orioles.  I even bought an Orioles hat once, though I could never stomach wearing it.  Point is....... I am retiring next summer and will sell my house and move.  I am really hoping I can also leave my love for the Pirates behind.  It honestly, can't be much different than how some guys feel about an ex-wife.  Surely, I can don the cap of a new team and leave this ugly bride behind......
Aaron

FIRE SALE!!

Post by Aaron »

If you changed the names to Bay, Nady, LaRoche, Wilson, Sanchez, Maholm, Doumit, Snell, Duke and Capps this would easily be a post from 9 years ago. So we've come full circle to NH's first year as Pirate GM.
Speedloader88

FIRE SALE!!

Post by Speedloader88 »

Wow..... truth!
DemDog

FIRE SALE!!

Post by DemDog »

03203535343C3F313435226868500 wrote: I have been thinking about this club and what parts to trade.  I have concluded that were I a general manager, I would put a "For Sale" sign up in the window and put everything on the sidewalk!  The only players that would not be on the sidewalk sale would be Taillon and Josh Bell.  I would move any and all other players on the major league club.  I would expect significant returns for Cole (cause maybe some day), Harrison, Mercer, Nova and McCutchen.  I would infuse this organization with as much young potential as possible and try to air out my barn by unloading as many roster players as possible. 

Of course, I am also a reactionary type personality, so I know that many other types would consider this too radical and unbalanced.  I understand that....

Seeing you are from Wheeling WV I can understand your comments. I guess you must have had a real great party for the 4th and had a bit too much of that especially good WV shine! ;D
SCBucco

FIRE SALE!!

Post by SCBucco »

43607575747C7F717475622828100 wrote: I have been thinking about this club and what parts to trade.  I have concluded that were I a general manager, I would put a "For Sale" sign up in the window and put everything on the sidewalk!  The only players that would not be on the sidewalk sale would be Taillon and Josh Bell.  I would move any and all other players on the major league club.  I would expect significant returns for Cole (cause maybe some day), Harrison, Mercer, Nova and McCutchen.  I would infuse this organization with as much young potential as possible and try to air out my barn by unloading as many roster players as possible. 

Of course, I am also a reactionary type personality, so I know that many other types would consider this too radical and unbalanced.  I understand that....

I agree with you, but NH won't do anything like this because he feels we are contenders in 2018.
Speedloader88

FIRE SALE!!

Post by Speedloader88 »

15343C153E36510 wrote: I have been thinking about this club and what parts to trade.  I have concluded that were I a general manager, I would put a "For Sale" sign up in the window and put everything on the sidewalk!  The only players that would not be on the sidewalk sale would be Taillon and Josh Bell.  I would move any and all other players on the major league club.  I would expect significant returns for Cole (cause maybe some day), Harrison, Mercer, Nova and McCutchen.  I would infuse this organization with as much young potential as possible and try to air out my barn by unloading as many roster players as possible. 

Seeing you are from Wheeling WV I can understand your comments.  I guess you must have had a real great party for the 4th and had a bit too much of that especially good WV shine!   ;D

My moonshine connection passed away sadly but I am a Bourbon enthusiasts. Alas, I am working OT today and have not yet pursued my enthusiasm........ yet!
ChitownBucco

FIRE SALE!!

Post by ChitownBucco »

2202110C0D630 wrote: If you changed the names to Bay, Nady, LaRoche, Wilson, Sanchez, Maholm, Doumit, Snell, Duke and Capps this would easily be a post from 9 years ago. So we've come full circle to NH's first year as Pirate GM.

Out of that list of names I think maybe there were 1-2 good seasons total combined after they were traded for the rest of their contract.

1 season for Bay and maybe a half for Nady. Maybe somebody els had a half of a good season? The rest were pretty much hot garbage
Aaron

FIRE SALE!!

Post by Aaron »

7E555449524A537F485E5E523D0 wrote: If you changed the names to Bay, Nady, LaRoche, Wilson, Sanchez, Maholm, Doumit, Snell, Duke and Capps this would easily be a post from 9 years ago. So we've come full circle to NH's first year as Pirate GM.

Out of that list of names I think maybe there were 1-2 good seasons total combined after they were traded for the rest of their contract.

1 season for Bay and maybe a half for Nady. Maybe somebody els had a half of a good season? The rest were pretty much hot garbage

You're missing the point. This time 9 years ago fans were screaming to tear the team down (rightfully so), as they are today (possibly rightfully so.

The other point is how did the Pirates essentially end up right where they were after NH took over? Meaning, a losing team without a highly ranked minor league system. Things may be better than they were in 2007, but the difference isn't as great as many would have you believe.

2007 - won 68 games.

2017 - on pace to win 74 games.

2007 - minor league system ranked 19th.

2017 - minor league system likely to be ranked middle of pack.

So both teams did not have enough talent at either the MLB level or in the minors to realistically win now or the near future. As a result, fans were screaming for a fire sale. Deja Vu?