Huntington comments on Quintana

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

notes34

Post by notes34 »

It seems that all this talk is for nothing the Pirates are going to hand the 5th spot to Hutchison.
notes34

Post by notes34 »

With Gerrit Cole, Jameson Taillon, Ivan Nova and likely Chad Kuhl likely locking down rotation spots, one of the biggest camp battles will be for the fifth spot in the rotation.

While there are plenty of candidates, including Tyler Glasnow, one name will likely have the edge over the competition to begin camp.

That man is Drew Hutchinson.

Hutchinson is coming off a 2016 season to forget in which he made only nine total MLB appearances (three starts), with a 5.25 ERA. Six of those appearances came in a Pirates uniform where the right-hander posted a 5.56 ERA in 11.1 innings pitched.

So why would the Pirates be leaning on Hutchinson when prized prospects Glasnow and Nick Kingham are also in the mix?

There are a few outside factors that may give Hutchinson the edge.

First off is the trade that brought Hutchinson to Pittsburgh.

Neal Huntington and his staff were ripped by plenty for the Francisco Liriano salary dump at last season’s trade deadline that also saw prospects Reese McGuire and Harold Ramirez dealt to the Toronto Blue Jays. Huntington made it known how much they liked Hutchinson as a pitcher so you have to think he will be given every opportunity to crack the rotation this season, even if it just to save face.

Then there is the contract.

Hutchinson will be making $2.3 million this season. Truth be told, the Pirates aren’t going to want to pay Hutchinson over $2 million to spend most of the season in the minors. They are going to want to get value for their dollar and you can bet Hutchinson is going to be afforded every opportunity at winning a spot in the rotation during spring training.

Finally, Hutchinson is out of options. Unless he is extremely terrible in spring training you can bet he isn’t going anywhere.

But there are also a few outliers that would make you think Hutchinson could be a decent back of the rotation pitcher in a Pirates uniform as well.

Hutchinson went 13-5 just two years ago. Of course that came with a 5.57 ERA.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

25243F2E38787F4B0 wrote: With Gerrit Cole, Jameson Taillon, Ivan Nova and likely Chad Kuhl likely locking down rotation spots, one of the biggest camp battles will be for the fifth spot in the rotation.

While there are plenty of candidates, including Tyler Glasnow, one name will likely have the edge over the competition to begin camp.

That man is Drew Hutchinson.

Hutchinson is coming off a 2016 season to forget in which he made only nine total MLB appearances (three starts), with a 5.25 ERA. Six of those appearances came in a Pirates uniform where the right-hander posted a 5.56 ERA in 11.1 innings pitched.

So why would the Pirates be leaning on Hutchinson when prized prospects Glasnow and Nick Kingham are also in the mix?

There are a few outside factors that may give Hutchinson the edge.

First off is the trade that brought Hutchinson to Pittsburgh.

Neal Huntington and his staff were ripped by plenty for the Francisco Liriano salary dump at last season’s trade deadline that also saw prospects Reese McGuire and Harold Ramirez dealt to the Toronto Blue Jays. Huntington made it known how much they liked Hutchinson as a pitcher so you have to think he will be given every opportunity to crack the rotation this season, even if it just to save face.

Then there is the contract.

Hutchinson will be making $2.3 million this season. Truth be told, the Pirates aren’t going to want to pay Hutchinson over $2 million to spend most of the season in the minors. They are going to want to get value for their dollar and you can bet Hutchinson is going to be afforded every opportunity at winning a spot in the rotation during spring training.

Finally, Hutchinson is out of options. Unless he is extremely terrible in spring training you can bet he isn’t going anywhere.

But there are also a few outliers that would make you think Hutchinson could be a decent back of the rotation pitcher in a Pirates uniform as well.

Hutchinson went 13-5 just two years ago.  Of course that came with a 5.57 ERA.

thanks for posting. I thought when he was acquired that it was reported that he had one more option.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

Don't forget Brault guys.  He's a lefty amongst a sea of RHP.  I wouldn't count him out as getting a scholarship out of camp and coming north.

Not that he's destined to fail or anything, that's not what I mean.  Just had a rough year last year.  Decent stuff, from what I saw in limited chances to see him throw
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

545D55444A300 wrote: Don't forget Brault guys.  He's a lefty amongst a sea of RHP.  I wouldn't count him out as getting a scholarship out of camp and coming north.

Not that he's destined to fail or anything, that's not what I mean.  Just had a rough year last year.  Decent stuff, from what I saw in limited chances to see him throw
I may be wrong but Brault just seems like a AAAA pitcher to me. At Indy he had an unimpressive 3.91 ERA and 1.416 WHIP. In a SSS at the MLB level he had a few decent games and some very bad ones. Of course that was only a SSS in a rookie season but he didn't seem to have stuff that would make him successful at this level. Maybe that will still come and, at worst, he may be Jeff Lockean. But I'll be surprised if he's more than AAA depth this year.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

I wouldn't look too hard at those AAA numbers for Brault.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statsd.aspx?pl ... e=&season=

He was moved around a ton last year, it wasn't until his second demotion from MLB to Indy that his numbers blew up.  In his first 50 innings at Indy he only gave up 12 ER's. That's about a 2.16 ERA. Four of his last five starts in Indy were brutal, but he was likely down there working on some specific things.

SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

5F727F6E69786F2F2C1D0 wrote: Don't forget Brault guys.  He's a lefty amongst a sea of RHP.  I wouldn't count him out as getting a scholarship out of camp and coming north.

I may be wrong but Brault just seems like a AAAA pitcher to me. At Indy he had an unimpressive 3.91 ERA and 1.416 WHIP. In a SSS at the MLB level he had a few decent games and some very bad ones. Of course that was only a SSS in a rookie season but he didn't seem to have stuff that would make him successful at this level. Maybe that will still come and, at worst, he may be Jeff Lockean. But I'll be surprised if he's more than AAA depth this year.

Agree with your comments on Brault being a AAAA starter.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

There's still time to make this one happen. Meadows has injuries every year so far. Glasnows floor is a bullpen pitcher for assorted discussed reasons.

Meadows and Newman. Or Glasnow and Hayes. Or Keller and Newman
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

I don't agree Brault is AAAA.   Too early for that. I expect him in the rotation this is the year though. Maybe he is AAAA player? This year like last year? I'll concede
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

Oops. Nevermind.  I forgot about Hutchison.   All he has to do is be a human being in ST and he's coming north.   So barring an early DL stint out of spring training, Brault is out.

Hutchison is out of options, we paid him arb, and we have to try to save face for that ridiculously stupid trade.

My bad