Huntington comments on Quintana

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Leyland1948

Post by Leyland1948 »

If you go to CBS Pitttsburgh and on the right side of the screen click on Heard on 93.7 The Fan you can read Huntington's comments why he did not make a trade for Quintana. Said the price was to high and he did not want to mortgage the future.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

“It’s one of those situations that we are for the mindset that as an organization, the best way to position ourselves to win a World Series is to get to the playoffs consistently and frequently, and we’re not of the mindset that the way to do that is to jeopardize your future for your present or to jeopardize your present for your future,” said Huntington. “We want to be a good team as consistently and frequently as possible and the only way to do that in a small market is to have a lot of good players, to have a lot of good players in your system and a trade of that magnitude would have been contradictory. We would have either been selling out to the next couple of years at the risk of our future. Instead, we believe we’ve got a good core in place, a core that was essentially predicted to win 88, 89 games a year ago.”

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2017/02/ ... -quintana/

It's a little frustrating to hear they will not jeopardize the future for the present or the present for the future. In other words, they are what they are and they won't make a splash move even if it would seem to be just what the present team needs. They will consistently field the best inexpensive team possible, hope that's good enough to make the post season frequently and maybe get lucky and go all the way one year. I'm not upset they didn't get Quintana. I never expected them to. But I don't like hearing that such a move is actually against their policy.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

In short NH is telling us that he will use what he got and can get inexpensively and hope that some season that mish mash of players can catch lightening in a bottle and will it all. :'( :'(
notes34

Post by notes34 »

012028012A22450 wrote: In short NH is telling us that he will use what he got and can get inexpensively and hope that some season that mish mash of players can catch lightening in a bottle and will it all.   :'( :'(
Those are some of the most discouraging words yet. I have loved this dreadful organization most of my adult life but I'm not sure I can keep rooting for this franchise anymore. They had the perfect opportunity to go for it. Cost controlled young talent, a fan base hungery for a winner and this is what we get in return. Hope and pray we did maybe just enough. We almost got there. But hey we made Nutting lots of money! >:(
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

There's no doubt that as rostered, we can be a .500ish team. Hopefully a few over and hopefully we are able to stay in the race until there's an opportunity to add and make a push.

I think we are on the fringes of competitive because of the division we are in. If the Cubs keep pounding on us like they have, we are going to have a hard time being in a position where our FO makes significant additions in July.

Going to need luck
Speedloader88

Post by Speedloader88 »

I am now searching for another franchise to follow. Been following the Bucs since 1979 and I'm ready for a change. I am open to suggestions as to what team I should follow now?
Leyland1948

Post by Leyland1948 »

Join me as an Cleveland Indian fan. Not afraid to stretch the budget to try and make another run. Just so it is not the Browns!!
mouse

Post by mouse »

The Yankees, Boston, or the Dodgers. Those are the teams you want. Take your pick. They spend, they try. Other teams come and go. This is likely the last year for the Indians, before they slip back into the depths. You have to wonder as well what will happen with the Tigers, now that Ilich has passed away. Apparently his son is taking over, but will he be willing (or for that matter, able) to spend family funds in excess of what the team earns.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

When you say follow the Yanks, Boston and Dodgers those are three teams with large local tv revenue. I am preaching to the choir but baseball needs to somehow agree to share more of that local tv revenue. Baseball would be a very dull sport if the Yanks only played the Red Sox, and the Dodgers only played the Giants or maybe the Cubs. Baseball needs the Bucs, Reds, Royals, Brewers just to name a few teams. There is too much revenue disparity with teams in Baseball and until that ever changes small and mid market teams will have difficulty competing with the big markets year in and year out.
notes34

Post by notes34 »

Well being a Pirates fan this is going to sound terrible but the Cards would be my choice. They are one of the best run franchises in all of sports. They are always relevant, and if they won it all would anyone be all that surprised?