Huntington comments on Quintana

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

6D6A7C747A6D2A265F78727E7673317C70721F0 wrote: Too much pressure is being put on Glasnow.  I feel this pressure is much greater than Cole and Taillon, who were and still are more polished.  I would love Glasnow to come up and pitch lights out, but I hope people don't get on him if he doesn't.  He is still very young and has a way to go.

Bob, Neal and Frank have created this pressure, not fans.  Unless we're suppose to limit our expectations of this club....

I don't agree with that.

I don't think losing Liriano is a big loss. Adding Nova is a plus. Kuhl is getting no respect. Either is Hutchison. The Pirates are showing they have faith in these guys, the fans are not. They all want Glasnow.

I also feel Williams and Kingham aren't getting the respect either. Its all about Glasnow. Glasnow is getting more hype than Cole and Taillon did when they were the big call ups.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

79727A767372692C2A5D647C757272337E721D0 wrote: Too much pressure is being put on Glasnow.  I feel this pressure is much greater than Cole and Taillon, who were and still are more polished.  I would love Glasnow to come up and pitch lights out, but I hope people don't get on him if he doesn't.  He is still very young and has a way to go.

Bob, Neal and Frank have created this pressure, not fans.  Unless we're suppose to limit our expectations of this club....

I don't agree with that.

I don't think losing Liriano is a big loss.  Adding Nova is a plus.  Kuhl is getting no respect.  Either is Hutchison.  The Pirates are showing they have faith in these guys, the fans are not.  They all want Glasnow. 

I also feel Williams and Kingham aren't getting the respect either.  Its all about Glasnow.  Glasnow is getting more hype than Cole and Taillon did when they were the big call ups.

I don't even think Glasnow should open in Pittsburgh. So I'm not wanting to put pressure on.

But the reality is all the other options you mention are potential 4/5 guys. Glasnow is a potential #1, certainly top end guy. The Pirates need one more top end guy if they want to compete. So he's the only one that has the possibility of performing at the needed level. Like it or not, if Glasnow performs very well the prospects for this team change dramatically. That equals pressure. It's not his fault, but he's the only true season changer available.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

6E697F77796E29255C7B717D7570327F73711C0 wrote: Too much pressure is being put on Glasnow.  I feel this pressure is much greater than Cole and Taillon, who were and still are more polished.  I would love Glasnow to come up and pitch lights out, but I hope people don't get on him if he doesn't.  He is still very young and has a way to go.

I don't agree with that.

I don't think losing Liriano is a big loss.  Adding Nova is a plus.  Kuhl is getting no respect.  Either is Hutchison.  The Pirates are showing they have faith in these guys, the fans are not.  They all want Glasnow. 

I also feel Williams and Kingham aren't getting the respect either.  Its all about Glasnow.  Glasnow is getting more hype than Cole and Taillon did when they were the big call ups.

I don't even think Glasnow should open in Pittsburgh. So I'm not wanting to put pressure on.

But the reality is all the other options you mention are potential 4/5 guys.  Glasnow is a potential #1, certainly top end guy.  The Pirates need one more top end guy if they want to compete.  So he's the only one that has the possibility of performing at the needed level.  Like it or not, if Glasnow performs very well the prospects for this team change dramatically. That equals pressure. It's not his fault, but he's the only true season changer available.

Again, another post that is spot on. Management created expectations for 2017 after the 2015 season when 2016 was called a bridge year. Also they have said there is no window. They should feel pressure to put an excellent team on the field.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

I understand the Glasnow projections. But that top starter label is a few years away in my opinion.

We have seen the Pirates have three very good pitchers and a back end very weak. The Pirates won with Morton and Locke. Not many teams have four top guys.

Glasnow has to come in and win more than he loses. That is something Morton has done once in his career and Locke twice.

If Glasnow comes in and dominates, that will be great. But I feel someone like Williams, Hutchison, or Kingham can come in and win like Zach Duke did as well. We just don't know what we have there, but I like the depth in hopes one comes through and wins more than they lose.

The pressure is on Cole, Taillon, and Nova to carry to the rotation.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

474C44484D4C571214635A424B4C4C0D404C230 wrote: I understand the Glasnow projections.  But that top starter label is a few years away in my opinion. 

We have seen the Pirates have three very good pitchers and a back end very weak.  The Pirates won with Morton and Locke.  Not many teams have four top guys. 

Glasnow has to come in and win more than he loses.  That is something Morton has done once in his career and Locke twice. 

If Glasnow comes in and dominates, that will be great.  But I feel someone like Williams, Hutchison, or Kingham can come in and win like Zach Duke did as well.  We just don't know what we have there, but I like the depth in hopes one comes through and wins more than they lose.

The pressure is on Cole, Taillon, and Nova to carry to the rotation.    I agree that the Pirates need those 3 guys to pitch better then Glasnow does but if you're going to get to the playoffs and beat out a Cubs team that won 103 games and won the World Series last season you need some kind of X-Factor to do so along with a few other things to go right. Glasnow is the logical choice. I don't think the Pirates can even compete for a wildcard spot if they don't have a solid 4 pitchers going every 5th night for most of the season.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4C6B7A7E7B66596D7A7B7B661F0 wrote: I understand the Glasnow projections.  But that top starter label is a few years away in my opinion. 

We have seen the Pirates have three very good pitchers and a back end very weak.  The Pirates won with Morton and Locke.  Not many teams have four top guys. 

Glasnow has to come in and win more than he loses.  That is something Morton has done once in his career and Locke twice. 

If Glasnow comes in and dominates, that will be great.  But I feel someone like Williams, Hutchison, or Kingham can come in and win like Zach Duke did as well.  We just don't know what we have there, but I like the depth in hopes one comes through and wins more than they lose.

The pressure is on Cole, Taillon, and Nova to carry to the rotation.    I agree that the Pirates need those 3 guys to pitch better then Glasnow does but if you're going to get to the playoffs and beat out a Cubs team that won 103 games and won the World Series last season you need some kind of X-Factor to do so along with a few other things to go right. Glasnow is the logical choice. I don't think the Pirates can even compete for a wildcard spot if they don't have a solid 4 pitchers going every 5th night for most of the season.

I'm optimistic that Kuhl can be a solid 4th starter. He was consistently good at all minor league levels and pitched well in all but 3 games for the Pirates last year. I don't consider him unproven like the many candidates for the #5 slot.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... &year=2016
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Kuhl was also a very unlucky pitcher if you believe in all of those defensive metric/stats. That is encouraging.
notes34

Post by notes34 »

5C575F5356574C090F784159505757165B57380 wrote: Too much pressure is being put on Glasnow.  I feel this pressure is much greater than Cole and Taillon, who were and still are more polished.  I would love Glasnow to come up and pitch lights out, but I hope people don't get on him if he doesn't.  He is still very young and has a way to go.
That is on the Pirates! Don't put him in that situation.
notes34

Post by notes34 »

4F7D71716557747D70757A7D1C0 wrote: I don't think the failure to acquire Quintana is the real issue.  I think their failure to acquire ANY meaningful piece is the primary issue.

I agree.  I've been wanting someone else as much as anyone.  We as a fanbase have become fixated on the Quintana thing though.I would've been happy with acquiring Hammel.
notes34

Post by notes34 »

373C34383D3C276264132A323B3C3C7D303C530 wrote: Too much pressure is being put on Glasnow.  I feel this pressure is much greater than Cole and Taillon, who were and still are more polished.  I would love Glasnow to come up and pitch lights out, but I hope people don't get on him if he doesn't.  He is still very young and has a way to go.

I don't agree with that.

That is because the Pirates wouldn't go out and get anyone else, and he is a highly rated prospect. If he's not ready it's on ownership period. Hutchison gets no respect because he's never earned it. Williams really? I like Kuhl in the 5 spot.