Re: Holmes To New York

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

WiffleballHero

Post by WiffleballHero »

0F594F5B544E5E55584F7D5A505C5451135E3D0 wrote: This Yankees blogger is not too happy about the trade.

https://yanksgoyard.com/2021/07/26/yank ... -reliever/

He called the Pirates "one of the worst organizations in all of sports"?  How dare he!  We're the only ones allowed to say that.

Haha. He's just salty the Yankees lost something of potential value, since guys like him probably consider the rest of the majors like New York's farm teams. Yankees fans constantly fantasize about fobbing off their roster debris to get guys like Reynolds and Frazier. It's usually a shock to them that teams like the Pirates have self-interests.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

210C01101706115152630 wrote: This Yankees blogger is not too happy about the trade.

https://yanksgoyard.com/2021/07/26/yank ... -reliever/

He called the Pirates "one of the worst organizations in all of sports"?  How dare he!  We're the only ones allowed to say that.

I'd like a list of the other ones.  Can't be very long.  Might make me feel better.
I'm guessing it's a short list. In the PG article about the trade I noticed this:

“Obviously we’re all really excited for him, and I think he’s excited,” Jacob Stallings said.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pir ... 2107250221

It's a shame when your teammates are excited for you because you get to leave and play for a team where the games are meaningful. I suspect the goal of every Pirate is to get that same opportunity. They seem to know it won't happen as a Pirate. Even under the best case scenario if BC theoretically turns out to be some kind of savant in adding talent to the system, it still comes down to Nutting being willing to pay to keep players and supplement the roster with productive veterans as needed. And that's the giant roadblock. They want to leave and there is no incentive to stay.

BC has done an amazing job in building up the Pirates Farm System. I might be overly optimistic but I think in a couple of years we can draw comparisons to the Bucs in 1970 when Al Oliver, Richie Hebner, Dave Cash, Manny Sanguillen, Bob Roberson were coming up from the minors to provide a huge influx of talent.

The key as you mention is keeping the talent.

I have been one of the loudest critics of Nutting.

I will say this, if he fails to fund this next wave of talent to sustain winning baseball in Pittsburgh, then MLB or the City of Pittsburgh itself should put pressure on him to sell
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

Who would have thought that Holmes would bring back 2 top 30 prospects from the Yankees, the same return that Rizzo returned.

Granted that the Yankee prospects the Cubs received were rated higher but still.
BenM

Post by BenM »

5E7B78786D467B737166140 wrote: Who would have thought that Holmes would bring back 2 top 30 prospects from the Yankees, the same return that Rizzo returned.

Granted that the Yankee prospects the Cubs received were rated higher  but still.

You have to give credit to Cherington. This deal did not happen by itself.
ChillinStation

Post by ChillinStation »

I want BC to make a move for a " Right Now Player " to go with Hayes , Reynolds . That Guy is JD. Davis of the Mets , not a FA until 2025 and can play LF or 1B . He fits the 1st window of plan.