Moroff, Bostick

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Moroff, Bostick

Post by Bobster21 »

607E687D6A61090 wrote: As a kid I read every book, magazine article, newspaper clipping about Clemente. Watched him on tv when we could get the games. I have above t 15 vintage Clemente baseball cards. (Paid 50 cents for one in 1972; my brother laughed at me for being foolish). I know a lot about him and have see video clip oz but never felt the electricity that comes from seeing a great player in action.
I grew up in the Clemente era and he was my favorite. The main thing I felt was pride that he was a Pittsburgh Pirate. This was pre-ESPN, pre-24 hour sports. Sports reporting consisted of the local newspaper and a 5-minute spot on the local news. Pittsburgh was a small market but that term had a different meaning then. Before big-money free agency, the term referred to media attention. NY, LA, SF, Chicago were big markets that got a lot of national attention. Cities like Pittsburgh were largely ignored by the national media.

Clemente always felt slighted because Mantle, Mays and Aaron were recognized as the best and most fans didn't know much about him. As a fan, I agreed. We had a treasure in Clemente and most MLB fans didn't realize how good he was. He won 4 batting titles in the 1960s and was arguably the greatest defensive right fielder with perhaps the best arm ever but it wasn't until the world was watching the 1971 WS that fans everywhere finally learned what Pirates fans had known for many years. Clemente came thru for the Bucs and packed into 7 games what we had been seeing for 17 years. And this was at age 36 when he was playing like a 21-year old. Clemente had a great deal of pride in his abilities. And I think most Pirate fans had a great deal of pride that he was one of ours.
fjk090852-7

Moroff, Bostick

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Just looked at Indy box score and there was a double switch in the seventh inning. Wood pinch hit for the pitcher and then remained in the game to replace Bostick. I wonder if Bostick is being recalled and Moroff who has struggled mightily is being sent down.
CTBucco

Moroff, Bostick

Post by CTBucco »

4C40411A131A121F18071D2A0 wrote: Just looked at Indy box score and there was a double switch in the seventh inning. Wood pinch hit for the pitcher and then remained in the game to replace Bostick. I wonder if Bostick is being recalled and Moroff who has struggled mightily is being sent down.
That would make some sense. I think Moroff could use the regular ABs and Bostick deserves the call.
UtahPirate

Moroff, Bostick

Post by UtahPirate »

Bostick has really been slumping at AAA lately. That move would surprise me.
Bobster21

Moroff, Bostick

Post by Bobster21 »

Bench is currently a man short with 13 pitchers. If Bostick returns maybe a pitcher goes.