Trade Deadline Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

ArnoldRothstein

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

1E333E2F28392E6E6D5C0 wrote: Trib reports Locke to the bullpen for the time being.   

So the 3 pitchers with the most wins on the staff will all be in the bullpen.  Depending on who Glasnow  replaces, we'll have 13 wins in the rotation, 31 in the bullpen, and 5 at Indy.  Probably 35% of the payroll in the bullpen, too.
dmetz

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by dmetz »

4A796564676F59647F63787F6E62650B0 wrote:    I mean... if we didn't buy a quality starter at the BEGINNING of this season as depth-limited as we were, why would be buy one now?

A rental pitcher is cheaper for two months than for 6.  I'm not saying this is what is happening, but it is possible that they're trying to get some relief on salaries of guys like Niese, Locke, or Jaso to get cash together to get a quality rental. 

One of the things that's furstrating here is that the team has it's own internal numbers that are what's really telling them how far to go before the deadline.

The last thing this organization needs to be looking for is payroll relief, coming in the season under 100 million.   

The point is that the talent ready right now is possibly top tier.  If you're willing to do nothing to address the back 2/5ths of the rotation (which is what the Vogelsong move was) and wait on it to come ready 2nd half of the season, it's dumb to go out and block it, now that it's arrived.   

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Good points, dmetz. But I think that was the plan all along.

Niese and Liriano hurt that plan. No one expected them to drop off so much. Vogelsong brought in as depth and to hang around for two-three months. He got hurt. Nicasio given a chance, didn't work. Locke has been Locke.

I felt the plan was to bring up Taillon and then trade for a Starter at the deadline. Cole, Liriano, New Pitcher, Taillon, Niese for the stretch run.

That plan almost worked, but then the end of June came along and really put the Pirates behind in the standings. Now, they are on the bubble at the deadline.

I still think they will trade for a Starter. Then use another young arm to replace Niese. Liriano is going to get the ball every five days.
Ecbucs

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by Ecbucs »

MLB Trade rumors reports the Rays want both Meadows and Glasnow for Archer. Don't think the Bucs would do that, I wouldn't.

The Rays believe there are roughly eight teams with strong enough farm systems to put together a package for right-hander Chris Archer in advance of the Aug. 1 non-waiver trade deadline, reports FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal (video link). One of those clubs, the Pirates, would have to move both righty Tyler Glasnow and outfield prospect Austin Meadows to acquire Archer. Glasnow, who’s currently in the midst of his second major league start, is sixth on Baseball America’s Midseason Top 100, while Meadows is 10th. Tampa Bay’s asking price is quite high, then, but Rosenthal notes that Archer has an eminently team-friendly contract through 2021. The soon-to-be 28-year-old has struggled to prevent runs this season and has seen both his walk and home run rates increase significantly, but he was a top-of-the-rotation option over 535 1/3 innings from 2013-15
Bobster21

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by Bobster21 »

4E68697E68780B0 wrote: MLB Trade rumors reports the Rays want both Meadows and Glasnow for Archer. Don't think the Bucs would do that, I wouldn't.

The Rays believe there are roughly eight teams with strong enough farm systems to put together a package for right-hander Chris Archer in advance of the Aug. 1 non-waiver trade deadline, reports FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal (video link). One of those clubs, the Pirates, would have to move both righty Tyler Glasnow and outfield prospect Austin Meadows to acquire Archer. Glasnow, who’s currently in the midst of his second major league start, is sixth on Baseball America’s Midseason Top 100, while Meadows is 10th. Tampa Bay’s asking price is quite high, then, but Rosenthal notes that Archer has an eminently team-friendly contract through 2021. The soon-to-be 28-year-old has struggled to prevent runs this season and has seen both his walk and home run rates increase significantly, but he was a top-of-the-rotation option over 535 1/3 innings from 2013-15
No way. Glasnow could turn out to be as good as Archer. Why give up him and Meadows both?
PMike

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by PMike »

7A575A4B4C5D4A0A09380 wrote: MLB Trade rumors reports the Rays want both Meadows and Glasnow for Archer. Don't think the Bucs would do that, I wouldn't.

No way. Glasnow could turn out to be as good as Archer. Why give up him and Meadows both?

Agreed. That's a joke, trading both.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Trade Deadline Thread

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Neither one of them are going anywhere. Sure, it doesn't hurt to ask. But that report makes it sound like the Pirates are interested.