Neil Walker

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

notes34

Neil Walker

Post by notes34 »

0616172036363A550 wrote: This is from WTM at Bucs Dugout:

Of the available free agents whom the team could plausibly sign, Walker probably presents the best chance for an infield upgrade. He’ll undoubtedly have interest from other teams, though, so that will eliminate the Pirates. And Neal Huntington has said the Pirates are “comfortable” with their existing infield options thanks to the acquisition of Sean Rodriguez. If he really believes that, he shouldn’t be working in a major league front office, much less running one.

https://www.bucsdugout.com/2017/11/15/1 ... eil-walker

I'm laughing at interest in Walker.  How on earth does that help?  NH saying he is comfortable with what we have is also laughable.  WTM put it the best ... if so, he shouldn't be running a team in MLB.
Why wouldn't adding Walker help? You move Harrison to 3rd and place Walker at 2nd and we are instantly a better team.
Quail

Neil Walker

Post by Quail »

2C2D3627317176420 wrote: This is from WTM at Bucs Dugout:

Of the available free agents whom the team could plausibly sign, Walker probably presents the best chance for an infield upgrade. He’ll undoubtedly have interest from other teams, though, so that will eliminate the Pirates. And Neal Huntington has said the Pirates are “comfortable” with their existing infield options thanks to the acquisition of Sean Rodriguez. If he really believes that, he shouldn’t be working in a major league front office, much less running one.

I'm laughing at interest in Walker.  How on earth does that help?  NH saying he is comfortable with what we have is also laughable.  WTM put it the best ... if so, he shouldn't be running a team in MLB.
Why wouldn't adding Walker help? You move Harrison to 3rd and place Walker at 2nd and we are instantly a better team.

I think Walker would help some. He would help alot if we got the Walker from 3 years ago that played 151 games. Unfortunately the Walker that's available now is one who has managed to play only an average of 112 games the past two seasons. Age is not Neil Walker's ally at this point. With the Pirates' miserly ways I don't see them pursuing a likely part-time player such as Walker for what would be, relatively speaking, mega dollars for this franchise.
johnfluharty

Neil Walker

Post by johnfluharty »

7C584C44412D0 wrote: This is from WTM at Bucs Dugout:

I think Walker would help some. He would help alot if we got the Walker from 3 years ago that played 151 games. Unfortunately the Walker that's available now is one who has managed to play only an average of 112 games the past two seasons. Age is not Neil Walker's ally at this point. With the Pirates' miserly ways I don't see them pursuing a likely part-time player such as Walker for what would be, relatively speaking, mega dollars for this franchise.

He's only a year older than McCutchen. If they believe he can stay healthy, maybe. But then they got burnt on that with Cervelli, so maybe they'd not risk another one.
fjk090852-7

Neil Walker

Post by fjk090852-7 »

It is hard to believe that it is the end of February, and there has been little traction for the signing of Neil Walker. Since the season opens up in about a month his earlier demands for a contract have no doubt been reduced. The current proposed Pirate roster does not have room for Walker, but if a trade of Harrison or Freese would occur a possibility of a reunion could happen. Some fence mending would also need to happen, but the longer he remains a free agent the possibility of a return could occur.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Neil Walker

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Walker isn't needed by the Pirates. They already have veteran bench presence and young guys to play in the field if a trade goes down.
Bobster21

Neil Walker

Post by Bobster21 »

49424A464342591C1A6D544C454242034E422D0 wrote: Walker isn't needed by the Pirates.  They already have veteran bench presence and young guys to play in the field if a trade goes down.
Yes, Walker is very well liked. But I wouldn't trade Harrison in order to have Walker start at 2B. He'd be a nice player to have on the bench. But not as versatile as Rodriguez. He would be comparable to Freese, who they already have. If they moved Freese, I'd be all for bringing in Walker. Otherwise, there's no need.
sdimmick3

Neil Walker

Post by sdimmick3 »

i'd rather have Walker over Freese.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Neil Walker

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

True, but you don't want both Freese and Walker.

I am still really surprised that Harrison wasn't dealt. I thought for sure teams would want him thinking his contract wasn't bad. I thought his contract would get too high for the Pirates, but not other teams.
sdimmick3

Neil Walker

Post by sdimmick3 »

there is no need for Walker right now, but if Freese wasnt here, different story, or Harrison, but i dont wanna see j-hay go either. I like Freese clubhouse presence, love that he spoke up about his feelings. With Walker being a lefty, can probably play 3B, 2B, and 1B, i think it would make the bench and lineup better.