Neil Walker

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BucsFaninGA

Neil Walker

Post by BucsFaninGA »

I know "The Pittsburgh Kid" would not mind on playing near home again. Imagine the Front Office would have to show some genuine backbone and swallow their pride. The Kid gave his all as Bucco... He has some pop in his bat and can still drive them in as well as get on base. I would love to see him at 2nd with Josh at 3rd or even the opposite. What do others think...Would be a nice move to show some good karma to the fanbase instead of staying pat with the current mix... Beat-em Bucs 8-)
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Neil Walker

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I don't think Walker would want to come back. He wanted an extension and the Pirates said No and went with Harrison instead.
johnfluharty

Neil Walker

Post by johnfluharty »

He'd come back for the fans. They loved him here.
Speedloader88

Neil Walker

Post by Speedloader88 »

I talked with Neil for a few minutes in New York this summer and though we talked around it, I was left with the distinct impression that there was genuine pain from the way he and the Pirates parted. My strong sense is that he would not come back under the current leadership even for money.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Neil Walker

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

The Pirates offered Walker 3 years for $27 million and Walker said no and countered. Walker claimed his counter was never discussed. Here is a quote from Walker:

“I just felt there some kind of justice due me,” Walker said. “I don't want to come off as (having) any kind of huge ego here, but to play 12 years in the same organization, grind out six-plus years (in the majors) and go through arbitration three times ... I really didn't think what I was asking for was very unreasonable.”
MaineBucs

Neil Walker

Post by MaineBucs »

The past is not always a good approach for the future.

Neil Walker comes with a little of if's. The Pirate team is now loaded with if's. While there are no guarantees, I prefer a player has a bit more 'knowns' than Walker would offer in 2018 (the player he is today).

Bobster21

Neil Walker

Post by Bobster21 »

This is from WTM at Bucs Dugout:

Of the available free agents whom the team could plausibly sign, Walker probably presents the best chance for an infield upgrade. He’ll undoubtedly have interest from other teams, though, so that will eliminate the Pirates. And Neal Huntington has said the Pirates are “comfortable” with their existing infield options thanks to the acquisition of Sean Rodriguez. If he really believes that, he shouldn’t be working in a major league front office, much less running one.

https://www.bucsdugout.com/2017/11/15/1 ... eil-walker
SammyKhalifa

Neil Walker

Post by SammyKhalifa »

4E454D4144455E1B1D6A534B4245450449452A0 wrote: The Pirates offered Walker 3 years for $27 million and Walker said no and countered.  Walker claimed his counter was never discussed.  Here is a quote from Walker:

“I just felt there some kind of justice due me,” Walker said. “I don't want to come off as (having) any kind of huge ego here, but to play 12 years in the same organization, grind out six-plus years (in the majors) and go through arbitration three times ... I really didn't think what I was asking for was very unreasonable.”

IIRC he wanted an extension through arb years for more money but no benefit to the team. 
SCBucco

Neil Walker

Post by SCBucco »

0D202D3C3B2A3D7D7E4F0 wrote: This is from WTM at Bucs Dugout:

Of the available free agents whom the team could plausibly sign, Walker probably presents the best chance for an infield upgrade. He’ll undoubtedly have interest from other teams, though, so that will eliminate the Pirates. And Neal Huntington has said the Pirates are “comfortable” with their existing infield options thanks to the acquisition of Sean Rodriguez. If he really believes that, he shouldn’t be working in a major league front office, much less running one.

I'm laughing at interest in Walker. How on earth does that help? NH saying he is comfortable with what we have is also laughable. WTM put it the best ... if so, he shouldn't be running a team in MLB.
johnfluharty

Neil Walker

Post by johnfluharty »

3121201701010D620 wrote: This is from WTM at Bucs Dugout:

I'm laughing at interest in Walker.  How on earth does that help?  NH saying he is comfortable with what we have is also laughable.  WTM put it the best ... if so, he shouldn't be running a team in MLB.

NH saying he is comfortable with what we have is GM-speak. He's not going to say we suck.