Time To Consider Making A Couple Bench Moves

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

mouse

Post by mouse »

ESPN is showing Alford in the lineup tonight.

EDIT - Evans sent down and Gonzales released, according to P2.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4B49535543260 wrote: ESPN is showing Alford in the lineup tonight.

Good moves. I didn't realize Evans had an option. Gonzalez did little but seemed to be a Shelton favorite. Supposedly a utilityman but Shelton always shifted Newman to 2B when he wanted Gonzalez to play instead of just putting Gonzalez at 2B. The roster seems stronger without Gonzalez and Evans.

Also, Dustin Fowler was released from Indy.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

5A58424452370 wrote: Releasing Joe Block doesn't open a spot on the 4-man nor on the 26 man roster.

;D ;D. True dat.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

77756F697F1A0 wrote: ESPN is showing Alford in the lineup tonight.

Good move to release Gonzales. He offers nothing to the club. Hope this is the beginning of getting rid of players just like him.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

5F727F6E69786F2F2C1D0 wrote: ESPN is showing Alford in the lineup tonight.

Good moves. I didn't realize Evans had an option. Gonzalez did little but seemed to be a Shelton favorite. Supposedly a utilityman but Shelton always shifted Newman to 2B when he wanted Gonzalez to play instead of just putting Gonzalez at 2B. The roster seems stronger without Gonzalez and Evans. 

The house cleaning continues. I am really enjoying GMBC with how the system is starting to take shape. It's clear the Pirates brass knows they are going to lose. What GMBC is doing is giving guys every chance to show they can be major league ball players, but he also shows them he will pull the plug. The turnover continues to be quite remarkable.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4F696E7B727E697F771C0 wrote: ESPN is showing Alford in the lineup tonight.

The house cleaning continues. I am really enjoying GMBC with how the system is starting to take shape. It's clear the Pirates brass knows they are going to lose. What GMBC is doing is giving guys every chance to show they can be major league ball players, but he also shows them he will pull the plug.  The turnover continues to be quite remarkable.
In addition, I saw Gonzalez as a symbol of inadequacy for the Pirates. When acquired by NH he was a light hitting utilityman for Cleveland who the Pirates immediately projected as a possible starting SS. But in his first Pirates ST, Clint Hurdle said he was erratic in the field. But Hurdle seemed to play Gonzalez more than he deserved and he never hit. Then Shelton made him the starting SS for the 2nd half of the brief 2020 season. This year Gonzalez still seemed to play more than he deserved but curiously never played 2B. And he never hit. But it always seemed that they played him more than they should, he never hit well, and he was a utility infielder who didn't play 2B, which required Newman to move to 2B on days Gonzalez started and Frazier rested. He was a below average player who was used way too much. I think it just showed how weak the roster was. So it's nice to see BC realize they can do better than Gonzalez.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

I easily see seven or eight names on our 40-man roster that serve no purpose and can be kicked to the curb at any moment. We are locked into at worst the fourth overall pick in next year's draft (We won't catch the Twins). Still think Baltimore will be better than us in the end and we could move into the second spot. Let's aim for that; have another draft like we had this year and start to buckle down.

The 40-man roster in the offseason will be interesting. We have several prospects who needed to be added, or potentially lost in Rule 5 and whatever. As mentioned, we have the space to add, but you just can't add all prospects and have to have the necessary players who are able to play in MLB in 22.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4151506771717D120 wrote: I easily see seven or eight names on our 40-man roster that serve no purpose and can be kicked to the curb at any moment.  We are locked into at worst the fourth overall pick in next year's draft (We won't catch the Twins).  Still think Baltimore will be better than us in the end and we could move into the second spot.  Let's aim for that; have another draft like we had this year and start to buckle down.

The 40-man roster in the offseason will be interesting.  We have several prospects who needed to be added, or potentially lost in Rule 5 and whatever.  As mentioned, we have the space to add, but you just can't add all prospects and have to have the necessary players who are able to play in MLB in 22.
Probably a lot more than 7 or 8. I'm thinking closer to 15.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

537E73626574632320110 wrote: I easily see seven or eight names on our 40-man roster that serve no purpose and can be kicked to the curb at any moment.  We are locked into at worst the fourth overall pick in next year's draft (We won't catch the Twins).  Still think Baltimore will be better than us in the end and we could move into the second spot.  Let's aim for that; have another draft like we had this year and start to buckle down.

The 40-man roster in the offseason will be interesting.  We have several prospects who needed to be added, or potentially lost in Rule 5 and whatever.  As mentioned, we have the space to add, but you just can't add all prospects and have to have the necessary players who are able to play in MLB in 22.
Probably a lot more than 7 or 8. I'm thinking closer to 15.

There are a lot unless you think guys like Kyle Keller and Underwood have a good chance of improving.

Alford's spot depends upon what he does with the Bucs between now and the end of the year.
shedman

Post by shedman »

Cherington is in the process of setting this organization back 10 years. He has no idea what he is doing.