Kang to miss the start of spring training

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

He has eight months of jail time staring him right in the face if he messes up again. If that isn't enough of a motivator then maybe nothing will be.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

1B3A321B30385F0 wrote: I think we are missing the point here about Kang.  We all may react differently to various amounts of alcohol in different situations.  You can make all kinds of excuses for Kang's behavior based on the arguments and cases I have read above.

But what we all forget, the guy was arrested for his First DUI but his Third.  In the game he plays and makes a lot of money from that is like 3 Strikes and you are out.  Kang should have known that he had a problem and reacted to it like a mature man.  Instead he reacted like he had not problem and could handle him self and booze.  Obviously he can't.  Fortunately not one was hurt in any of his incidents.  So what does that leave us with.  An alcoholic 3Bman who can't be trusted when booze is around.

Guy needs a case of the big time hurts to wake him to the reality that he needs help, big time help, before he hurts some innocent bystander or himself.  If he gets back to the Bucs I will be very happy but he has to find that help and I believe that the Bucs will make that possible. 

I am not making any excuses. He messed up. Yes, he messed up three times. Hopefully, facing jail time will wake him up.

That doesn't mean he is an alcoholic or has a problem. He made some serious mistakes, no doubt. If he makes another one, he is in serious trouble.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

707B737F7A7B602523546D757C7B7B3A777B140 wrote: I think we are missing the point here about Kang.  We all may react differently to various amounts of alcohol in different situations.  You can make all kinds of excuses for Kang's behavior based on the arguments and cases I have read above.

But what we all forget, the guy was arrested for his First DUI but his Third.  In the game he plays and makes a lot of money from that is like 3 Strikes and you are out.  Kang should have known that he had a problem and reacted to it like a mature man.  Instead he reacted like he had not problem and could handle him self and booze.  Obviously he can't.  Fortunately not one was hurt in any of his incidents.  So what does that leave us with.  An alcoholic 3Bman who can't be trusted when booze is around.

Guy needs a case of the big time hurts to wake him to the reality that he needs help, big time help, before he hurts some innocent bystander or himself.  If he gets back to the Bucs I will be very happy but he has to find that help and I believe that the Bucs will make that possible. 

I am not making any excuses.  He messed up.  Yes, he messed up three times.  Hopefully, facing jail time will wake him up.

That doesn't mean he is an alcoholic or has a problem.  He made some serious mistakes, no doubt.  If he makes another one, he is in serious trouble.

Okay Dog, if he is not an alcoholic or does not have a drinking problem after 3 DUIs then can you quantitate what does make a person an alcoholic or a person with a drinking problem. I just wonder how many times Kang got away with driving drunk in Korea and even here is the states and did not get caught.
mouse

Post by mouse »

With three offenses for DUI, he's either really, really stupid or he has a problem. One of the main defenses for someone with an alcohol problem is that they may have had a few but "they can handle it." Until they realize they *can't* handle it on their own, and need and want help, there's not much someone can do. All the counseling in the world won't help. It's that 'leading a horse to water' thing.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

37352F293F5A0 wrote: With three offenses for DUI, he's either really, really stupid or he has a problem. One of the main defenses for someone with an alcohol problem is that they may have had a few but "they can handle it." Until they realize they *can't* handle it on their own, and need and want help, there's not much someone can do. All the counseling in the world won't help. It's that 'leading a horse to water' thing.

this is my thinking too. How many times has he been driving under influence to get 3 DUIs. Most likely a lot more.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

3C3E242234510 wrote: With three offenses for DUI, he's either really, really stupid or he has a problem. One of the main defenses for someone with an alcohol problem is that they may have had a few but "they can handle it." Until they realize they *can't* handle it on their own, and need and want help, there's not much someone can do. All the counseling in the world won't help. It's that 'leading a horse to water' thing.

I agree 100% with this. Even if someone just "needs" one glass of wine before bed, that's a chemical dependency, by definition.

And I'm with the others...he's been CAUGHT three times. Logic would imply he's done this multiple others. That said, this is a forgiving society. We give people second, third, and fourth chances. Apparently, Korea is as well. I'm willing to give him another chance. I'll still root and cheer for him as long as he's wearing black and gold. But yeah, I hope he gets his life cleaned up before injuring or killing someone.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

5B5350677154737C120 wrote: With three offenses for DUI, he's either really, really stupid or he has a problem. One of the main defenses for someone with an alcohol problem is that they may have had a few but "they can handle it." Until they realize they *can't* handle it on their own, and need and want help, there's not much someone can do. All the counseling in the world won't help. It's that 'leading a horse to water' thing.

I agree 100% with this.  Even if someone just "needs" one glass of wine before bed, that's a chemical dependency, by definition.

And I'm with the others...he's been CAUGHT three times.  Logic would imply he's done this multiple others.  That said, this is a forgiving society.  We give people second, third, and fourth chances.  Apparently, Korea is as well.  I'm willing to give him another chance.  I'll still root and cheer for him as long as he's wearing black and gold.  But yeah, I hope he gets his life cleaned up before injuring or killing someone.

I dont have the way with words like you IA but the bold statement are my thoughts exactly. Thanks for saying them.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Still doesn't mean he is an alcoholic. He might not know when to stop when out with friends and has made some bad decisions in driving after a few drinks. Stupid plays a big part, but I am sure many here I have driven when they shouldn't have too. I wouldn't call him an alcoholic, that's all. There's more to being an alcoholic than getting drunk on the weekends.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

7279717D7879622721566F777E7979387579160 wrote: Still doesn't mean he is an alcoholic.  He might not know when to stop when out with friends and has made some bad decisions in driving after a few drinks.  Stupid plays a big part, but I am sure many here I have driven when they shouldn't have too.  I wouldn't call him an alcoholic, that's all.  There's more to being an alcoholic than getting drunk on the weekends.   

Dog you describe some of the actions that make an alcoholic. Not admitting that he has a problem when you say he doesn't know when to stop. As for being stupid, yep, when he drives in that condition. I realize you are an apologist for many of the things here in Pirateland. You do that because you breath and bleed Pirate black and gold. And I salute you for that. But being an apologist for an alcoholic who will not admit being one and continues to be stupid about it that is another thing. No apology for him will make Kang any better a person until he admits his alcoholism and does something about it.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

6B4A426B40482F0 wrote: Still doesn't mean he is an alcoholic.  He might not know when to stop when out with friends and has made some bad decisions in driving after a few drinks.  Stupid plays a big part, but I am sure many here I have driven when they shouldn't have too.  I wouldn't call him an alcoholic, that's all.  There's more to being an alcoholic than getting drunk on the weekends.   

Dog you describe some of the actions that make an alcoholic.  Not admitting that he has a problem when you say he doesn't know when to stop.  As for being stupid, yep, when he drives in that condition.  I realize you are an apologist for many of the things here in Pirateland.  You do that because you breath and bleed Pirate black and gold.  And I salute you for that.  But being an apologist for an alcoholic who will not admit being one and continues to be stupid about it that is another thing.  No apology for him will make Kang any better a person until he admits his alcoholism and does something about it.

It has nothing to do with which team he plays for. Just because he has a few DUIs doesn't mean he is an alcoholic. That is my point.