Huntington comments on Quintana

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

All that from Neal and yet we traded two prospects last July for WHO????

What about spending a bit of the jackpot Neal? Can we hope for a better team that way?

It's insulting to speak of trying to win a World Series in the same breath as saying there is no intention of trying to make the team better.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

18312D38353A30656D606C540 wrote: Join me as an Cleveland Indian fan. Not afraid to stretch  the budget to try and make another run. Just so it is not the Browns!!

But budget doesn't have anything to do with winning. Or so we've been told lately.
Leyland1948

Post by Leyland1948 »

Do not know how much is left of Huntington's contract with the Pirates but truth being told this has to get OLD for him dealing with this everyday. Unless he is making a mint you would think he would want to leave the best management in baseball!
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I think his contract runs through 2018, and I would not be surprised if Huntington leaves for a team with deeper pockets. I do think he has done a good job with the budget he has to deal with, but he may decide to see how he can operate with more funds.
dave3BA

Post by dave3BA »

I think a lot of the issues Huntington is dealing with result from a lack of understanding among fans about how prospects work. It used to be, and some are still hanging on to this viewpoint, that quite a few top prospects ended up busting. This would make it a no-brainer to trade some of them for established players, even if those players were not star-quality.

However, the industry has changed. Compare the busts in BA's top 100 from 1990 - 2010 to the one's since and you'll notice development of the players with the best tools has gotten quite a bit better with technology. Industry-wide, teams are more reluctant to part with home-grown talent. Since the Pirates are already playing cheap, I'm sure they're even worse with this.

Quintana is a #2 starter. He is not a player you put in the rotation and automatically teams fear you. If the rumors of a Glasnow-Meadows asking price is correct, I am glad the Pirates did not pull the trigger.

Meadows is not just any top prospect. He has a combination of power, speed and strike-zone awareness that makes him a high-floor prospect. Glasnow is the type of prospect that has a high chance of busting, so it's no surprise if the White Sox were reluctant to rely on him as the main piece of a deal.
Docjon49

Post by Docjon49 »

3032282E385D0 wrote: The Yankees, Boston, or the Dodgers. Those are the teams you want. Take your pick. They spend, they try. Other teams come and go. This is likely the last year for the Indians, before they slip back into the depths. You have to wonder as well what will happen with the Tigers, now that Ilich has passed away. Apparently his son is taking over, but will he be willing (or for that matter, able) to spend family funds in excess of what the team earns.
In the past, I've thought of taking on Boston as my AL, secondary team, but I never did. There's that DH rule. . .and if I pick up a NL team to replace the Pirates, I'll never be able to fully root for them over the Bucs.

I think if I switched allegiances, it would be to Boston, DH or no, but I haven't quite got there yet. The Bucs improved right before I got to that point. Death before becoming a Yankees fan, though.

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

It is a matter of degree. You don't want to drastically overpay but some times you can make a deal that weakens the future (like the Wendy Rodríguez deal). The nice thing about weakening the future is there is some time to regroup.
notes34

Post by notes34 »

64617665334241000 wrote: I think a lot of the issues Huntington is dealing with result from a lack of understanding among fans about how prospects work. It used to be, and some are still hanging on to this viewpoint, that quite a few top prospects ended up busting. This would make it a no-brainer to trade some of them for established players, even if those players were not star-quality.

However, the industry has changed. Compare the busts in BA's top 100 from 1990 - 2010 to the one's since and you'll notice development of the players with the best tools has gotten quite a bit better with technology. Industry-wide, teams are more reluctant to part with home-grown talent. Since the Pirates are already playing cheap, I'm sure they're even worse with this.

Quintana is a #2 starter. He is not a player you put in the rotation and automatically teams fear you. If the rumors of a Glasnow-Meadows asking price is correct, I am glad the Pirates did not pull the trigger.

Meadows is not just any top prospect. He has a combination of power, speed and strike-zone awareness that makes him a high-floor prospect. Glasnow is the type of prospect that has a high chance of busting, so it's no surprise if the White Sox were reluctant to rely on him as the main piece of a deal.
Cool Meadows can slot in just in time for us to keep winning 80-82 games a year! Yah.
LumberCo

Post by LumberCo »

starts with ownership, there is no good reason we are not in the 120M to 140M range payroll wise. total cheep arse owner!
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

If you're not going to trade for front end rotation quality, then you have to draft and develop it.   Cole, Taillon and possibly Glasnow after a lot of polish.

Or you can get it by rolling the dice with formerly high end, but currently underperforming pedigree like Burnett, Liriano and to a lesser extent Edison volquez.

The kind of value we got out of Burnett and Liriano is very unusual around baseball.  Two front end rotation starters for multiple years for proverbial peanuts.  Incredible deals.    Not something that's going to happen often.

The list of reclamation project starters who haven't worked out is long as well.  Even Longer if the goal is front-end rotation performance instead of just doing a decent job and performing like a 3, 4, of good 5

Not impossible that Nova could pull an Edison Volquez and pitch like a 2 for a year or two.  So we do have that chance.    Their career paths look similar, though they pitch differently