Bucs Acquire Josh VanMeter

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

634F47404B6C5B4D5D2E0 wrote: Another possibility (note - entirely speculation on my part) is that Hayes' injury is worse than is being reported and that Van Meter is being brought in for the short term to play 3rd. 

While I would still prefer going with Castillo or Park at third than Van Meter, it is the one rationale that I could see.  And, if the Bucs lose Van Meter after a month or so, management must figure that the minor league reliever is not a significant loss. 

According to his mlb record so far, third is his worst defensive position. His fielding percentage at third is below 900 (not a large sample size but not encouraging).
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

5B767B6A6D7C6B2B28190 wrote: A couple years ago, Oliva was being billed as one of their top prospects. So much for that. Now they have a chance to give players like Park, Marcano or either of the Castillos some MLB playing time and they dumpster dive to block them. I don't get this move.

Totally agree Bobster. It would be a shame to not have Diego Castillo make the team with the incredible spring he has had in favor of yet another low average placement holder like VanMeter
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

092C2F2F3A112C242631430 wrote: A couple years ago, Oliva was being billed as one of their top prospects. So much for that. Now they have a chance to give players like Park, Marcano or either of the Castillos some MLB playing time and they dumpster dive to block them. I don't get this move.

Totally agree Bobster. It would be a shame to not have Diego Castillo make the team with the incredible spring he has had in favor of yet another low average placement holder like  VanMeter
Not would be- Will be!
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

Really really don't like this kind of signing. I thought Cherington was smarter than this maybe he's not as smart as were giving him credit. This kind of signing has been going on for as long as I can remember in the Burg and none ever work out. They just take a spot in the roster from a younger player and we wait until next year hoping against hope they'll bring up a young real talent like other clubs do. I'm just sick of guys like VanMeter who just want a check for being below average.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Above Average and Willing to Play for the Pirates costs even more money than just plain ordinary Above Average guys.

So much for Above Average signings.  :(((