Bucs Acquire Josh VanMeter

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

The Bucs acquired Josh VanMeter this evening for a minor league pitcher. Jared Oliva was designated for assignment to make room on the roster.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

636F6E353C353D30372832050 wrote: The Bucs acquired Josh VanMeter this evening for a minor league pitcher. Jared Oliva was designated for assignment to make room on the roster.
Just glad to see Oliva go. All I know about VanMeter is that he can play quite a few positions
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

A couple years ago, Oliva was being billed as one of their top prospects. So much for that. Now they have a chance to give players like Park, Marcano or either of the Castillos some MLB playing time and they dumpster dive to block them. I don't get this move.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

785558494E5F48080B3A0 wrote: A couple years ago, Oliva was being billed as one of their top prospects. So much for that. Now they have a chance to give players like Park, Marcano or either of the Castillos some MLB playing time and they dumpster dive to block them. I don't get this move.

I don't know why the Bucs wanted him enough to send a player. Sure someone may have picked him up on waivers but there was only the O's and Rangers ahead of them (since it was D-Backs that waived him).

Also, don't see what he adds to the team. As you mention they have a lot of other players trying to get established.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

193F3E293F2F5C0 wrote: A couple years ago, Oliva was being billed as one of their top prospects. So much for that. Now they have a chance to give players like Park, Marcano or either of the Castillos some MLB playing time and they dumpster dive to block them. I don't get this move.

I don't know why the Bucs wanted him enough to send a player.  Sure someone may have picked him up on waivers but there was only the O's and Rangers ahead of them (since it was D-Backs that waived him). 

Also, don't see what he adds to the team. As you mention they have a lot of other players trying to get established.

I agree! I can name 3 or 4 of our young guys who deserve a shot at positions before we go this route. I can't figure out the why of this one.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

This sounds more like a NH move than a BC move, particularly for a rebuilding team like the Pirates. Based on his performance last year as a Pirate, I would much rather have had Difo on this year's team than VanMeter.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

4B676F686344736575060 wrote: This sounds more like a NH move than a BC move, particularly for a rebuilding team like the Pirates.   Based on his performance last year as a Pirate, I would much rather have had Difo on this year's team than VanMeter.      

I agree this seems like an unnecessary acquisition but I'm wondering if VanMeter was brought in to replace Newman, who won't be needed in a few weeks when Cruz returns.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

6D41494E4562554353200 wrote: This sounds more like a NH move than a BC move, particularly for a rebuilding team like the Pirates.   Based on his performance last year as a Pirate, I would much rather have had Difo on this year's team than VanMeter.      

Mainer, this is just what I thought - I read it and thought, NH keeping the kids down on the farm.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

Another possibility (note - entirely speculation on my part) is that Hayes' injury is worse than is being reported and that Van Meter is being brought in for the short term to play 3rd.

While I would still prefer going with Castillo or Park at third than Van Meter, it is the one rationale that I could see. And, if the Bucs lose Van Meter after a month or so, management must figure that the minor league reliever is not a significant loss.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

I think VanMeter was brought in to be another OF. I'm guessing Alford is on thin ice right now. I think he'll be gone once Michael Perez is added to the roster.

I don't think they are willing to go with Diego Castillo quite yet.