7/6 Game Thread...Locke down 7 wins in a row...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Explain to me how Locke blew them out of the game that they won?

They won the game. He kept them in reach to win the game. What am I missing? They WON the game.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

4F444C4045445F1A1C6B524A4344440548442B0 wrote: Explain to me how Locke blew them out of the game that they won?

They won the game.  He kept them in reach to win the game.  What am I missing?  They WON the game.

so any pitcher in a game a team wins kept them in the game?
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

567071667060130 wrote: Explain to me how Locke blew them out of the game that they won?

They won the game.  He kept them in reach to win the game.  What am I missing?  They WON the game.

so any pitcher in a game a team wins kept them in the game?
On 5/17/79, the Phillies beat the Cubs 23-22. Leading 21-9 in the 5th, Phillies reliever Tug McGraw gave up 7 runs in the 5th. That made it 21-16 but the Phillies still won. Kudos to McGraw for keeping the Phils in the game by only giving up 7 runs in 0.2 innings. ;D

On 6/8/89, Phillies starter Larry McWilliams lasted 0.1 innings giving the Pirates 6 runs before being replaced by Steve Ontiveros who gave up 4 more in the first. The Phillies trailed 10-0 after a half inning. This was the game Jim Rooker promised to walk home from Philadelphia if the Pirates lost. Sure enough, the Phillies came back from that 10-0 deficit to win 15-11. So obviously, McWilliams and Ontiveros kept the Phillies in the game by giving up only 10 runs in the first inning. ;D

Dog, the phrases "keeping them in the game" or "giving them a chance to win" do not automatically apply to any pitcher in a game that is won regardless of how poorly the pitcher performed and how many runs it took to overcome his performance. The phrase is meant as a compliment to a pitcher who is effective.