White Sox Unloading

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

timozbuck

White Sox Unloading

Post by timozbuck »

65575B5B4F7D5E575A5F5057360 wrote: Jose Quintana would be nice, but it seems that the Sox are getting a boatload in every return, so I don't know what the ask would be.

JQ would be a fabulous addition to the rotation....that being said, I have a better chance of winning the Mega Millions and PowerBall in the same week than this management team sacking up and making a move like this. Who needs an ace when there are 5 reclamation projects to focus on >:(
SammyKhalifa

White Sox Unloading

Post by SammyKhalifa »

This thread makes me think a bit too. 

Last year the White Sox were  ‎78–84.  We were 78-83-1.  They are wrecking everything down and rebuilding while we are supposedly a "contending" team. 

At the same time, they seem to have more valuable assets on the trade market than we do.  IF we decided to sell the farm this offseason would we have been able to do as well as the White Sox have?
rucker59@gmail.com

White Sox Unloading

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

4B676F686344736575060 wrote: I would label that return a big ouch.  I wouldn't make that prospect deal.   And, as much as I like Marte, I would rather deal him if that what it took than those prospects.   

Absolutely. And maybe PMike is correct that Marte is not in the middle of the Sox future window. If that's the case, turn this into a 3 team deal. Marte is our best trade chip and we need pitching more than we need Marte.

This is another opportunity that the Pirates must pursue if they plan to contend.

rucker59@gmail.com

White Sox Unloading

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

162428283C0E2D24292C2324450 wrote: This thread makes me think a bit too. 

Last year the White Sox were  ‎78–84.  We were 78-83-1.  They are wrecking everything down and rebuilding while we are supposedly a "contending" team. 

At the same time, they seem to have more valuable assets on the trade market than we do.  IF we decided to sell the farm this offseason would we have been able to do as well as the White Sox have?

This is a good point. I'm now to the point where if the FO is not truly serious about contending in 2017 then the Pirates need to join the Sox in unloading. Of course, the Pirates will be late to the party and won't be able to get the same return, most likely.
PMike

White Sox Unloading

Post by PMike »

02303C3C281A39303D383730510 wrote: This thread makes me think a bit too. 

The Pirates came off a 98 win season before that with largely the same personnel.  One could make the argument that their own players were their biggest detriment as to why they didn't duplicate the 98 win season.  Cole, Liriano, and McCutchen were arguably the biggest pieces to their 98 win success and arguably the biggest reason for the sharp decline.  They got rid of Liriano and there seems to be a lot of us who think that AM and Cole will rebound. 

The Pirates are also sitting on a some starters that are right on the cusp.  Most notably, Taillon who already looks established, Glasnow who has been wildly successful at every level after a break in period, and Kingham who was a very high prospect before TJ and who looks to be at pre TJ form.  The White Sox were not in that place.  They didn't have the young OFers in place as we do nor did they have those sorts of Pitching prospects.  They had to trade for their Taillon and Glasnow and Bell (Lopez, Giolito, and Moncada).  I know it's not a perfect translation, but they aren't in the same place just because the record was similar.
IABucFan

White Sox Unloading

Post by IABucFan »

7D604446482D0 wrote: This thread makes me think a bit too. 

The Pirates came off a 98 win season before that with largely the same personnel.  One could make the argument that their own players were their biggest detriment as to why they didn't duplicate the 98 win season.  Cole, Liriano, and McCutchen were arguably the biggest pieces to their 98 win success and arguably the biggest reason for the sharp decline.  They got rid of Liriano and there seems to be a lot of us who think that AM and Cole will rebound. 

The Pirates are also sitting on a some starters that are right on the cusp.  Most notably, Taillon who already looks established, Glasnow who has been wildly successful at every level after a break in period, and Kingham who was a very high prospect before TJ and who looks to be at pre TJ form.  The White Sox were not in that place.  They didn't have the young OFers in place as we do nor did they have those sorts of Pitching prospects.  They had to trade for their Taillon and Glasnow and Bell (Lopez, Giolito, and Moncada).  I know it's not a perfect translation, but they aren't in the same place just because the record was similar.

Yup. I would add Watson to that as well. It seemed to me that pretty much everyone had a down year last year. Marte's power evaporated and was injured a lot. Cervelli had a bad year. Harrison wasn't very good. This is why I see plenty of reason for optimism going forward, provided, of course, that we finish the rotation.

I see no reason why Cutch, Marte, Harrison, Cervelli, and Kang (if they don't release him or he winds up in Korean prison) can't all have a better year next year. Ditto Cole. Ditto Watson, if he isn't traded.

Finish the rotation, NH. That's what's keeping this team from being a legit WC contender. I also think the Cubs will regress next year. They lost Fowler and Soler. Those are two big pieces. I suspect they'll lose Jason Hammel. They lost Chapman (but got Wade Davis). Anyway, the Cubs will still be the class of MLB, but I do think they regress a bit.
Ecbucs

White Sox Unloading

Post by Ecbucs »

There is definitely enough talent on this team that it can compete if pitching is improved.

If the Bucs can't bring somebody in this off season then it is shame on them and to me it means they don't think they can compete.
PMike

White Sox Unloading

Post by PMike »

I can see them not signing anyone and then saying that the improvement in the rotation lies in their young starters. Not Cole, Taillon, or Kuhl. Rather, Glasnow, Williams, Brault, and the forgotten Kingham.

I think that's a reasonable thought/hope, but it is really risky. OTOH, it's a better hope that planning for Vogelsong, Locke, and Niscasio to be the options.

To be clear, I won't like this stance, but I get it. I think they need one more legit pitcher and then those options for the 5th spot and depth.