7/6 Game Thread...Locke down 7 wins in a row...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

39323A363332296C6A1D243C353232733E325D0 wrote:

My Pedro?  Tell me again how Pedro wasn't the best option for the 2015 Pirates to play 1B? 

I defend players when I think they are being wronged.  Locke has been thatguy this year.  Like I have said over and over, he has been the second best starter on the team.  Overall, he has if you look at the whole picture.

I am not throwing out his bad starts.  The games he certainly didn't have his stuff and got shelled.  Liriano and Niese were never left in games when they sucked up like Locke.  So, yes, he did take a few bad innings for the team and it hurt his stat line. 

He wasn't very sharp last night, but he kept the Pirates in the game and they WON.  The Pirates won the game. 

Do you really think he hasn't been better than Nicasio, Niese, and Liriano so far this year?  If you do, tell me why because I am not seeing it. 
I DON'T CARE that Locke has been better than Liriano and Niese. I thought I made that clear!!! They are ALL very problematic. Locke has way too many very bad games. The fact that other starters may be worse doesn't excuse Locke. Being the second best on this staff is nothing to brag about. If your car has 3 bald tires and 1 tire with only a fraction of an inch of tread, wouldn't you be better off upgrading all 4 tires? Or would you just talk about how much better that one tire was than the other 3?

So Liriano and Niese were never left in games to eat up innings like Locke? That's a curious statement because one of those games you praise Locke for taking one for the team and eating innings was a 3-inning disaster. Locke has lasted less than 5 innings 5 times. Niese has gone less than 5 innings only once. Liriano has gone less than 5 innings 4 times. So of those three pitchers, Locke had the most short stints. So either Liriano and Niese are taking one for the team more often than Locke or else they just aren't being hammered early like Locke.

SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

5259515D5859420701764F575E5959185559360 wrote: I am not saying it is good that Locke has been the second best starter, but it is true.

They need to trade for a starter and once that happens, he will probably be the odd man out.  I have been saying that all year.They don't need to trade for a starter all of the answers they are looking for to replace Locke or remove him from the rotation they have internally. Guys like Taillon,Glasnow,Kuhl, and even Brault are most likely all better solutions to fixing this starting pitching problem for the rest of the season then leaving Locke in there consistently hoping and praying he pitches good every time he starts.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

103D30212637206063520 wrote:  

My Pedro?  Tell me again how Pedro wasn't the best option for the 2015 Pirates to play 1B? 

I defend players when I think they are being wronged.  Locke has been thatguy this year.  Like I have said over and over, he has been the second best starter on the team.  Overall, he has if you look at the whole picture.

I am not throwing out his bad starts.  The games he certainly didn't have his stuff and got shelled.  Liriano and Niese were never left in games when they sucked up like Locke.  So, yes, he did take a few bad innings for the team and it hurt his stat line. 

He wasn't very sharp last night, but he kept the Pirates in the game and they WON.  The Pirates won the game. 

Do you really think he hasn't been better than Nicasio, Niese, and Liriano so far this year?  If you do, tell me why because I am not seeing it. 
I DON'T CARE that Locke has been better than Liriano and Niese. I thought I made that clear!!! They are ALL very problematic. Locke has way too many very bad games. The fact that other starters may be worse doesn't excuse Locke. Being the second best on this staff is nothing to brag about. If your car has 3 bald tires and 1 tire with only a fraction of an inch of tread, wouldn't you be better off upgrading all 4 tires? Or would you just talk about how much better that one tire was than the other 3?

So Liriano and Niese were never left in games to eat up innings like Locke? That's a curious statement because one of those games you praise Locke for taking one for the team and eating innings was a 3-inning disaster. Locke has lasted less than 5 innings 5 times. Niese has gone less than 5 innings only once. Liriano has gone less than 5 innings 4 times. So of those three pitchers, Locke had the most short stints. So either Liriano and Niese are taking one for the team more often than Locke or else they just aren't being hammered early like Locke.

Locke has been the main whipping boy this year even though others have been worse. That is my point (And my point with Pedro last year since that is always brought up).
Tintin

Post by Tintin »

575C54585D5C470204734A525B5C5C1D505C330 wrote: Ummm, they won.  The Pirates won the game.  How can you say he didn't keep them in the game?  They came back and won.  By definition, isn't that "keeping them in the game"?

Doesn't matter.  Overall, Locke has been the second best starter on the Pirates.  I don't get how people disagree with that?  No way has Nicaiso, Liriano or Niese been better.  No way.

I don't agree with this statement. I don't think Locke's been as bad as the board does, but being down four runs in four innings isn't keeping them in the game. If he doesn't hesitate and gets Wong on the bunt, I might agree with you.

The Bucs won last night despite Locke, not because he kept them in the game.
Wrathchild

Post by Wrathchild »

Locke is not a great pitcher and it's a real stretch to say he kept the Pirates in the game yesterday; however, I also agree that he's been a bit unlucky and that he's been better than Liriano and Niese. His FIP is better and, although a somewhat arbitrary statistic, he has made nine quality starts. Liriano and Niese have combined for ten. While you can't ignore Locke's bad starts, it is undeniable that he was left in far too long in a couple starts, especially Colorado. The problem is that the other two guys are getting paid $22 million, so the front office may roll with the theory that Locke is the biggest problem.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

715447524E454E4F4A42260 wrote: Locke is not a great pitcher and it's a real stretch to say he kept the Pirates in the game yesterday; however, I also agree that he's been a bit unlucky and that he's been better than Liriano and Niese.  His FIP is better and, although a somewhat arbitrary statistic, he has made nine quality starts. Liriano and Niese have combined for ten.  While you can't ignore Locke's bad starts, it is undeniable that he was left in far too long in a couple starts, especially Colorado.  The problem is that the other two guys are getting paid $22 million, so the front office may roll with the theory that Locke is the biggest problem.

Niese's contract ends this season if they want it to, so that money is already spent (barring a trade) so there's not much lost if he's the one that goes.

You might have a point with Liriano but I also happen to believe (hope? I wonder) that he has the most potential to recover and be the most valuable of the three going forward.

I don't recall what Locke's contract status/amount is, but I'm assuming for a moment that it's less than Niese's. Financially speaking I'd imagine that puts him in front of Niese in the team's mind.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

5F6D61617547646D60656A6D0C0 wrote: Locke is not a great pitcher and it's a real stretch to say he kept the Pirates in the game yesterday; however, I also agree that he's been a bit unlucky and that he's been better than Liriano and Niese.  His FIP is better and, although a somewhat arbitrary statistic, he has made nine quality starts. Liriano and Niese have combined for ten.  While you can't ignore Locke's bad starts, it is undeniable that he was left in far too long in a couple starts, especially Colorado.  The problem is that the other two guys are getting paid $22 million, so the front office may roll with the theory that Locke is the biggest problem.

Niese's contract ends this season if they want it to, so that money is already spent (barring a trade) so there's not much lost if he's the one that goes. 

You might have a point with Liriano but I also happen to believe (hope?  I wonder) that he has the most potential to recover and be the most valuable of the three going forward.

I don't recall what Locke's contract status/amount is, but I'm assuming for a moment that it's less than Niese's.   Financially speaking I'd imagine that puts him in front of Niese in the team's mind. 

Locke gets $3,025,000 this year and is eligible for arbitration next year. I don't expect him to be back. Niese has had a better career prior to this season and may be more attractive to other teams at the trade deadline. He makes more but can be bought out if the team doesn't want to keep him. Left-handers are always in demand. So either or both could be moved this year.
Osushawn

Post by Osushawn »

The only option should be to trade Niese to the Oriioles for Pedro so it takes the heat off of Locke ;)
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

5D6167617A73657C120 wrote: The only option should be to trade Niese to the Oriioles for Pedro so it takes the heat off of Locke ;)

That would be heaven and hell for me. What jersey would I wear?
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

656E666A6F6E753036417860696E6E2F626E010 wrote: Ummm, they won.  The Pirates won the game.  How can you say he didn't keep them in the game?  They came back and won.  By definition, isn't that "keeping them in the game"?

Even you can't believe some of the nonsense that comes off your fingertips.  Has to be an act.