Quintana

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dave3BA

Quintana

Post by dave3BA »

I think my best offer for Quintana would br Glasnow & Bell.
ChitownBucco

Quintana

Post by ChitownBucco »

363F372628520 wrote:

Prospect worshipers will never be reasoned with.  It's not you, it's them.   There is always the "next #3 hitter penciled in for the better part of a decade" waiting at some level of the minors. 

Or in this case, it's every team wanting to trade for this guy.  Is Brian Cashman a "prospect worshiper" working on behalf of making excuses for the Pirates for some reason?

Just give me an example of us trading prospects for an established starting pitcher.   We've had five years where we were competitors at the deadline or on opening day.   We've "shown interest" in a boatload of starting pitchers.      

Which one did we trade for?

this one sucked horribly but

Rajai Davis to Giants for Matt Morris
mouse

Quintana

Post by mouse »

mlbtr is reporting that offers are heating up for Quintana, with other teams joining the Astros, Pirates, and Yankees. They say the Sox want to do a deal before spring training.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Quintana

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

The Pirates have done a pretty good job in bringing in pitchers without using a top prospect. The people against the front office call it lucky, but to me it seems the front office knew what they were doing.

Bringing in Rodriquez, Liriano, Burnett, Happ, and Nova for pretty much nothing has worked big time. Then they ended up signing Volquez, Burnett, Nova, and Liriano too. The Pirates haven't had to trade a top prospect to land top pitchers. They got them for much lower end prospects.

Quintana is a different player, I get that. I am not sure if he is worth some top five players at their position in all of baseball. We can say how prospects are unknown, but so was McCutchen. What if Meadows is the next McCutchen?

I wouldn't want to trade a combo of Bell, Glasnow, and Meadows. Maybe one of those with others, but also no Glasnow and Keller together.
SCBucco

Quintana

Post by SCBucco »

707B737F7A7B602523546D757C7B7B3A777B140 wrote: The Pirates have done a pretty good job in bringing in pitchers without using a top prospect.  The people against the front office call it lucky, but to me it seems the front office knew what they were doing.

Bringing in Rodriquez, Liriano, Burnett, Happ, and Nova for pretty much nothing has worked big time.  Then they ended up signing Volquez, Burnett, Nova, and Liriano too.  The Pirates haven't had to trade a top prospect to land top pitchers.  They got them for much lower end prospects.

Quintana is a different player, I get that.  I am not sure if he is worth some top five players at their position in all of baseball.  We can say how prospects are unknown, but so was McCutchen.  What if Meadows is the next McCutchen? 

I wouldn't want to trade a combo of Bell, Glasnow, and Meadows.  Maybe one of those with others, but also no Glasnow and Keller together. 

We get it.  You don't want to trade any value to get quality.  You are fine with taking reclamation projects.  Every name you mentioned is, was that.  Most of them did well for the Pirates but at some point in time this luck will run out and then what?

And what if Meadows is the next bust - Hermansen? What if Glasnow is the next JVB, or Bullington, or Bradley? This is something called taking a risk. Not every prospect is going to work out. We have had a lot of failures in this organization.
UtahPirate

Quintana

Post by UtahPirate »

77756F697F1A0 wrote: mlbtr is reporting that offers are heating up for Quintana, with other teams joining the Astros, Pirates, and Yankees. They say the Sox want to do a deal before spring training.

Then I'd say the price just came down a notch. Astro and Yankees both walked away saying the price was way too high. If the Sox are the ones now anxious to deal, they lowered their expectations... I would guess this is good for us.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Quintana

0212132432323E510 wrote: The Pirates have done a pretty good job in bringing in pitchers without using a top prospect.  The people against the front office call it lucky, but to me it seems the front office knew what they were doing.

Bringing in Rodriquez, Liriano, Burnett, Happ, and Nova for pretty much nothing has worked big time.  Then they ended up signing Volquez, Burnett, Nova, and Liriano too.  The Pirates haven't had to trade a top prospect to land top pitchers.  They got them for much lower end prospects.

Quintana is a different player, I get that.  I am not sure if he is worth some top five players at their position in all of baseball.  We can say how prospects are unknown, but so was McCutchen.  What if Meadows is the next McCutchen? 

I wouldn't want to trade a combo of Bell, Glasnow, and Meadows.  Maybe one of those with others, but also no Glasnow and Keller together. 

We get it.  You don't want to trade any value to get quality.  You are fine with taking reclamation projects.  Every name you mentioned is, was that.  Most of them did well for the Pirates but at some point in time this luck will run out and then what?

And what if Meadows is the next bust - Hermansen?  What if Glasnow is the next JVB, or Bullington, or Bradley?  This is something called taking a risk.  Not every prospect is going to work out.  We have had a lot of failures in this organization.

Again, you are calling it luck? Why? Why isn't it a calculated risk or just being knowledgeable about those players?

Like I said, I'm ok with trading a prospect, but not Meadows. I'm ok with Glasnow being moved. But not Glasnow and Keller.

Quintana is good. I just don't think he is worth Glasnow and Meadows, who are top top at their position.
fjk090852-7

Quintana

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Yesterday Glasnow was listed as the second best right handed pitching prospect in baseball. Also Nick Keller was listed as just missing the top ten list. As we get closer to spring training I am thinking the Bucs should hold onto their high end prospects and not acquire Quintana.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Quintana

343839626B626A67607F65520 wrote: Yesterday Glasnow was listed as the second best right handed pitching prospect in baseball. Also Nick Keller was listed as just missing the top ten list. As we get closer to spring training I am thinking the Bucs should hold onto their high end prospects and not acquire Quintana.

Was Michael Kopech #1?

http://m.mlb.com/cutfour/2017/01/17/213 ... ew-110-mph

I never heard of this test (the running star part), but I wonder where other players would be on the radar gun.
SammyKhalifa

Quintana

Post by SammyKhalifa »

222E2F747D747C71766973440 wrote: Yesterday Glasnow was listed as the second best right handed pitching prospect in baseball. Also Nick Keller was listed as just missing the top ten list. As we get closer to spring training I am thinking the Bucs should hold onto their high end prospects and not acquire Quintana.

They need one more guy. If it's Q I don't know, don't know how to gauge the potential cost. People smarter than me don't know either (while people who just think they're smarter than everyone else are sure they should do it. ;)).

But one more pitcher has to happen.