extend Cutch at a decent price or trade him undervalued?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

544C4E49495E4F48555442270 wrote: This is why I said I won't get too excited with anything this team does. Getting blown out 10-0 tonight is just inexcusable and shouldn't happen. Another missed opportunity for the Pirates tonight as they could have pulled within 2.5 games of the Cubs and got back to .500 at 57-57. This team is extremely frustrating to say the least.
Hurdle is just fine with winning 2 out of 3 and that's part of the problem.  The guy just doesn't have what it takes to make this team a winner.

Hmm?  A team that wins two out of three would win 120 games.
Trouble is we go on 5 or 6 game losing streaks losing series, other teams don't have any trouble having a killer instinct and sweeping us, Hurdle is satified with 2 wins when we're winning and losing six in a row.  Anyone who thinks this team is going to do anything with Hurdle as the manager is sadly mistaken.  The guy has been in the game a long time as a manager his record is a dismal .490 in other words he's lost more game than he's won.  Why would anyone want to keep this guy managing this team when it is obviously underperforming.  CH needs to go now, so this team can move on.

I'm just trying to wrap my head around the notion that we lose 10-0 to a hall-of-fame pitcher because "Hurdle doesn't want to win."
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Jay Bruce got traded after waivers for a 22 year old college kid that is in Single A ball. The market isn't looking good for position players. No big trades at the deadline either.

It is looking like the Qualifying Offer Draft Pick might be the best for McCutchen if not resigned. I wonder if this will lower his value too. Of course the market can change, but right now it isn't looking very good.

I still think the eyes are on Meadows. He is the player supposed to replace McCutchen and he fell behind this year with injuries. I assume he will be asked to play Winter Ball.
dave3BA

Post by dave3BA »

7E757D7174756E2B2D5A637B7275753479751A0 wrote: Jay Bruce got traded after waivers for a 22 year old college kid that is in Single A ball.  The market isn't looking good for position players.  No big trades at the deadline either.

It is looking like the Qualifying Offer Draft Pick might be the best for McCutchen if not resigned.  I wonder if this will lower his value too.  Of course the market can change, but right now it isn't looking very good.

I still think the eyes are on Meadows.  He is the player supposed to replace McCutchen and he fell behind this year with injuries.  I assume he will be asked to play Winter Ball.

Are you talking about for 2019? McCutchen has a $14.5M option for next year. No reason to decline it and then offer the Qualifying Offer (if that's even an option).
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Yes. They will pick up his option for sure. I thought that was assumed. Sorry. Right now the market isn't looking good, but can change (as I mentioned).
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

13212D2D390B28212C292621400 wrote: This is why I said I won't get too excited with anything this team does. Getting blown out 10-0 tonight is just inexcusable and shouldn't happen. Another missed opportunity for the Pirates tonight as they could have pulled within 2.5 games of the Cubs and got back to .500 at 57-57. This team is extremely frustrating to say the least.
Hurdle is just fine with winning 2 out of 3 and that's part of the problem.  The guy just doesn't have what it takes to make this team a winner.

If Hurdles' methods led to 120 wins that would be great. I probably would complain less about some of his moves (no promises though :)
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

537574637565160 wrote: This is why I said I won't get too excited with anything this team does. Getting blown out 10-0 tonight is just inexcusable and shouldn't happen. Another missed opportunity for the Pirates tonight as they could have pulled within 2.5 games of the Cubs and got back to .500 at 57-57. This team is extremely frustrating to say the least.

If Hurdles' methods led to 120 wins that would be great.  I probably would complain less about some of his moves (no promises though :)

To be fair i was doing some really crazy math last night because a .667 winning percentage is "only" 108 wins not 120. :D
dogknot17@yahoo.co

764448485C6E4D44494C4344250 wrote: This is why I said I won't get too excited with anything this team does. Getting blown out 10-0 tonight is just inexcusable and shouldn't happen. Another missed opportunity for the Pirates tonight as they could have pulled within 2.5 games of the Cubs and got back to .500 at 57-57. This team is extremely frustrating to say the least.

If Hurdles' methods led to 120 wins that would be great.  I probably would complain less about some of his moves (no promises though :)

To be fair i was doing some really crazy math last night because a .667 winning percentage is "only" 108 wins not 120.  :D

Wait, I think you were correct with 120 because there are twelve four game series this year. Have to win 3 of 4 to win those series.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

00323E3E2A183B323F3A3532530 wrote: This is why I said I won't get too excited with anything this team does. Getting blown out 10-0 tonight is just inexcusable and shouldn't happen. Another missed opportunity for the Pirates tonight as they could have pulled within 2.5 games of the Cubs and got back to .500 at 57-57. This team is extremely frustrating to say the least.

Trouble is we go on 5 or 6 game losing streaks losing series, other teams don't have any trouble having a killer instinct and sweeping us, Hurdle is satified with 2 wins when we're winning and losing six in a row.  Anyone who thinks this team is going to do anything with Hurdle as the manager is sadly mistaken.  The guy has been in the game a long time as a manager his record is a dismal .490 in other words he's lost more game than he's won.  Why would anyone want to keep this guy managing this team when it is obviously underperforming.  CH needs to go now, so this team can move on.

I'm just trying to wrap my head around the notion that we lose 10-0 to a hall-of-fame pitcher because "Hurdle doesn't want to win."

Maybe this will help he's (Verlander) a 34 year old with a 8-7 record this season with 3.97 era. He is basically over the hill. I believe this team needs a fire built under them and Hurdle hasn't been able to do that with this team. Getting one hit against this over the hill pitcher is a tribute to Hurdle's uninspiring management style. This team should and could be in 1st place in this division this year if not for his abismal management and coaching of this team. His career managerial stats are all you need to know as to why this team is in next to last place and playing below .500 again. This team is going no where this year and renewal of Hurdles contract will gaurantee the same next year and beyond. Hope this clears it up for you.