extend Cutch at a decent price or trade him undervalued?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

IF the Pirates suddenly discovered their apparently misplaced financial flexibility and they could come to either of the above relatively fair terms, would you resign? You're basically making a statement that "Cutch is OUR guy and we're building around him" or "time to move on".
rucker59@gmail.com

Funny how this has gone full circle. He may not be the most talented but he is still, easily, our best player. I'd sign Cutch, especially since there is reason to believe he'll be undervalued as a trade. Trade other pieces. Keep Cutch.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

I've said that I would definitely try to sign Cutch to an extension, and I'm sticking with it.

I'd be willing to sign him to a 4-year extension under the following plan/hope:

* That I could still get one very good (2019) and one good (2020) year out of him.

* And that I would not expect much in 2021 and 2022, but I'd be willing to pay him his money almost as a tribute and thank you for his greatness, his service to the organization and the city, and in recognition of what may be a Hall of Fame career. In other words, I'd basically eat the final 2 years of his contract without expecting much in return. Anything he provides is a basically a bonus.

That's how I would handle it.

I know the Pirates can afford to do it.

I also know there is ZERO chance of the Pirates doing that.
mouse

Post by mouse »

I would say it depends on what offers they get. Unfortunately, I don't believe the underlying assumption here (that the team will discover its misplaced financial flexibility -- I fully expect a budget cut next year due to attendance) and for teams that are totally dependent on their minor league system, you can't fall in love with your players. You have to gather prospects for the system however you can, and trading a good player is the way to do that. If you could get really good prospects by trading Jaso, I would say go for it. But you don't. You have to trade something to get something.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

Seems to lack an option for letting the contract run its natural course.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

If the Pirates were in the playoff hunt, McCutchen would be in the MVP talk. He is having a great year.
ScottinMass

Post by ScottinMass »

7E757D7174756E2B2D5A637B7275753479751A0 wrote: If the Pirates were in the playoff hunt, McCutchen would be in the MVP talk.  He is having a great year. 
I voted for the 4 yrs $75M option, but I think 3 years $54M is what I think they should offer
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

You know what?  I'm going to the camp of wanting to sign him forever.  I want to be an old(er) man that makes my way to PNC park to see the Cutch statue unveiled. 

But that's sentimental and bad, people say.  What do you get out of that if it doesn't help you win a World Series, they say.  Well, BASEBALL is sentimental.  What does any of us really get out of a WS win?  Sentimentality, that's about it. Baseball is pointless if you really want to break it down--no amount of wins are going to actually net any of us anything concrete in the end. Just feelings and memories.

Screw it.  I want my nephews and nieces to some day tell their kids about the time they saw the great Pirate Andrew McCutchen take the field. 
rucker59@gmail.com

665549484B437548534F5453424E49270 wrote: Seems to lack an option for letting the contract run its natural course.

Fixed.  If you've previously voted but prefer this option you can cast a new vote. I think. Should be a four hour window to change vote. I don't see the option however.
ChitownBucco

Post by ChitownBucco »

I think no matter what, he'd want to test the free agent market and listen to offers from the entire league. I doubt he signs and extension before his contract runs out.

Guy left ALOT of money on the table by signing his last extension a year too early.

as observers we see the year long slump he had and his age and think that his peak performance time is close to closing. But as an athlete i'm sure he thinks the best is yet to come and will think he'll get big $ on the open market. its not like alot of other players that were too old, didn't still get HUGE contracts from teams with deep pockets before.