Brandon Nimmo for Josh Harrison?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Osushawn

Post by Osushawn »

1C313C2D2A3B2C6C6F5E0 wrote: I had guessed that the payroll direction for this year would be a little less than last, maybe 90 even to 95 MM. Attendance was down and I expected some effect from that. Now I'm starting to wonder if it may be lower even than that earlier guess of mine. Frazier would have been nice (although arguably he would block that new guy and later Hayes).

Low payroll leads to bad team.

Bad team leads to poor attendance.

Poor attendance leads to low payroll.

How is this cycle supposed to end? It would require a good team on a low payroll which means stellar drafting and shrewd trades to compile a roster of productive, low salaried players. And then the stars have to align with good health and some good luck. And a commitment that if this can be accomplished (as in 2015), that payroll is increased as needed to get that team over the hump with 1 or 2 productive veterans to fill remaining holes. Which is what they refused to do in 2016. So while it's possible, I see no reason to trust the same people who previously failed to try again and succeed. 

It's not going to end because Nutting is still making a huge profit doing what he is. Attendance would have to be in the 1980's Cleveland Indians level for a few years for it to change
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

575C54585D5C470204734A525B5C5C1D505C330 wrote: Winning solves everything.  The Pirates had a higher attendance in 2015 than the Astros did last year.  I expect the Astros to get closer to three million this year as the excitement is in the air.  I expect the Pirates to have a lower attendance in 2018 than they did in 2017, since they are rebuilding.
And pretty much every fan knows they are rebuilding despite what they say.

It seems to be a missed opportunity where they could have added and perhaps contended.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Why they should trade Harrison.

Call the Yankees, Giants, Indians. Did I say Yankees yet?
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

436564736575060 wrote: pretty cheap deal for Frazier.  I wonder if Mets would not take him a on a one year deal.

Typical swing and miss by the Pirates. Frazier would have been a good sign for them. Same with Jay Bruce too.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

2C272F2326273C797F083129202727662B27480 wrote: Winning solves everything.  The Pirates had a higher attendance in 2015 than the Astros did last year.  I expect the Astros to get closer to three million this year as the excitement is in the air.  I expect the Pirates to have a lower attendance in 2018 than they did in 2017, since they are rebuilding.

And we aren't winning anytime soon based on the model here.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

4D5D5C6B7D7D711E0 wrote: pretty cheap deal for Frazier.  I wonder if Mets would not take him a on a one year deal.

Typical swing and miss by the Pirates.  Frazier would have been a good sign for them.  Same with Jay Bruce too.

Let's say for arguments sake we signed both of those guys, held Cutch and Cole:

1)JHay 2b

2) Marte LF

3) Cutch CF

4) Bell 1b

5) Bruce RF

6)Todd Frazier 3b

7) Cervelli/Diaz

8) Mercer

Polanco (4 of)

$125 million.   And you can feel free to salary dump SRod to make up 7 mil of that if we must think of nutting's wallet

That's a competitor.   Look at the power/ speed mix in that lineup?   Solid, young rotation, pen with the best closer in the game....

Competitor. 125 million. It's not crazy to try to win. 60 hrs and solid defense with Bruce and Frazier for about 18 million. Now the Mets have them both
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

272E263739430 wrote: pretty cheap deal for Frazier.  I wonder if Mets would not take him a on a one year deal.

Typical swing and miss by the Pirates.  Frazier would have been a good sign for them.  Same with Jay Bruce too.

1)JHay 2b

2) Marte LF

3) Cutch CF

4) Bell 1b

5) Bruce RF

6)Todd Frazier 3b

7) Cervelli/Diaz

8) Mercer

Polanco (4 of)

$125 million.   And you can feel free to salary dump SRod to make up 7 mil of that if we must think of nutting's wallet

That's a competitor.   Look at the power/ speed mix in that lineup?   Solid, young rotation, pen with the best closer in the game....

Competitor. 125 million.  It's not crazy to try to win.   60 hrs and solid defense with Bruce and Frazier for about  18 million.    Now the Mets have them both

in the words of Marlon Brando, "coulda been a contender!"
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

4E474F5E502A0 wrote: pretty cheap deal for Frazier.  I wonder if Mets would not take him a on a one year deal.

1)JHay 2b

2) Marte LF

3) Cutch CF

4) Bell 1b

5) Bruce RF

6)Todd Frazier 3b

7) Cervelli/Diaz

8) Mercer

Polanco (4 of)

Competitor. 125 million.  It's not crazy to try to win.   60 hrs and solid defense with Bruce and Frazier for about  18 million.    Now the Mets have them both

Even if you deal Cutch ... its 113.5 ish. Bottom line, I know we got Moran, but 8.5 million per year for Frazier is a bargain. He would be our second best power source.
PMike

Post by PMike »

737A72636D170 wrote: pretty cheap deal for Frazier.  I wonder if Mets would not take him a on a one year deal.

1)JHay 2b

2) Marte LF

3) Cutch CF

4) Bell 1b

5) Bruce RF

6)Todd Frazier 3b

7) Cervelli/Diaz

8) Mercer

Polanco (4 of)

Frazier hit .213 with 125 strikeouts!!! I know batting average isn't everything, but I just don't see it with him. He is basically McCutchen in April and May with a bit more power. And we all know how well McCutchen's performance is received in April and May.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

4A5773717F1A0 wrote: pretty cheap deal for Frazier.  I wonder if Mets would not take him a on a one year deal.

1)JHay 2b

2) Marte LF

3) Cutch CF

4) Bell 1b

5) Bruce RF

6)Todd Frazier 3b

7) Cervelli/Diaz

8) Mercer

Polanco (4 of)

Frazier hit .213 with 125 strikeouts!!!  I know batting average isn't everything, but I just don't see it with him.  He is basically McCutchen in April and May with a bit more power.  And we all know how well McCutchen's performance is received in April and May.

Frazier is exactly the type of guy the Pirates go after, down year hope for rebound. He is good defensively and still had a 348 oba last year. Only Freese and Cutch were better with the 2017 Bucs.