4/13 Game Thread - Back to Boston

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

173A37262130276764550 wrote: Kuhl didn't need help in the 7th. That's what started the domino effect.

I would have liked to see him finish the inning for sure. Beyond that the guys we brought in have been pretty dependable, and turns out it didn't work this time.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

644944555243541417260 wrote: Kuhl didn't need help in the 7th. That's what started the domino effect.

Do we know that for sure? He threw 92 pitches. Was he tired? Did Stewart say something? Did Kuhl say something?

The main issue is that the reliable bullpen has not been reliable at all. After LeBlanc's outing, they have given up like 13 runs in 9 innings.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

093B37372311323B36333C3B5A0 wrote: Kuhl didn't need help in the 7th. That's what started the domino effect.

I would have liked to see him finish the inning for sure.  Beyond that the guys we brought in have been pretty dependable, and turns out it didn't work this time. 
I like Rivero. But this was the 3rd consecutive time Hudson didn't look good. It would've been nice to let Kuhl finish the 7th. He had 1 out, the runner only got on because Harrison couldn't make a play at 3B, and Kuhl had thrown just 92 pitches. That would have saved Rivero for the 8th instead of the struggling Hudson. In fact, even with Rivero having thrown just 8 pitches in the 7th, it seems he could have come back for the 8th.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

1C313C2D2A3B2C6C6F5E0 wrote: Kuhl didn't need help in the 7th. That's what started the domino effect.

I would have liked to see him finish the inning for sure.  Beyond that the guys we brought in have been pretty dependable, and turns out it didn't work this time. 
I like Rivero. But this was the 3rd consecutive time Hudson didn't look good. It would've been nice to let Kuhl finish the 7th. He had 1 out, the runner only got on because Harrison couldn't make a play at 3B, and Kuhl had thrown just 92 pitches. That would have saved Rivero for the 8th instead of the struggling Hudson. In fact, even with Rivero having thrown just 8 pitches in the 7th, it seems he could have come back for the 8th. 

I too would have brought back Riviero in the eighth to see if he could have blanked them there too and then you bring Watson in for the ninth and pray. However, we can't dismiss the Marte's play that had a major impact on the outcome.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

Has he thrown multiple innings before? Just thinking aloud, but maybe some guys have a harder time pitching, then sitting for a half inning, then pitching again. Don't know.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

474245434B4158454C5F59542D0 wrote: Has he thrown multiple innings before?  Just thinking aloud, but maybe some guys have a harder time pitching, then sitting for a half inning, then pitching again.  Don't know.
Yes, last year he frequently pitched 1+ innings for the Nats including one 3-innng stint. But even if he hadn't, it seems he could throw more than 8 pitches in a game.
Roberto218

Post by Roberto218 »

I was at the game. Statcast says a CF should make the catch that Marte missed 82% of the time. Catch made..Bucs probably win. I was sitting behind home plate. Stewart was not getting any close calls on balls and strikes and Bucs were getting rung -up on pitches below the strike zone. I would have had Frazier at second instead of Goselin. Umpiring was bad and I don't usually complain.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

I had the great joy of being able to watch the Pirates up close yesterday when I attended the game at Fenway. I was sitting along the right field line about 7 rows back from the field and about 100 feet back from first base.

First, I had a great time at the Park and loved every minutes of the experience. The last time I was at Fenway was nearly 20 years ago. What a difference to the Park between then and now. PNC is still better, but Fenway is no longer a dump that simply looked good on TV.

Secondly, I want to thank the weather gods for 60 degrees and sunny. Nearly a picture perfect day to attend a game.

Continuing, I also was stunned by how many folks reached out to say something nice. When I was entering the ticket area on the street a Sox fan came up and commented how he couldn't believe how many Pirate fans attended the opening series and he THANKED me for coming to the make-up game. My stepson (49 years old) struck up a conversation with one of the ushers and when I walked back by the usher he stopped me and zipped up my jacket so you couldn't see my Pirates' t-shirt and also turned my hat around so you couldn't see the Pirates --- laughingly told me that this wasn't proper attire for a Sox game. Another Park employee thanked me for attending the make-up game, I had friendly conversations with several of the Sox fans sitting near me, and when we were leaving the Park and passed a Sox fan standing in line at a restaurant, he saw my Pirate hat and asked if I had heard that Dan Rooney had died. These and several similar experiences were all so welcoming (P.S. Folks from Maine don't always have the most pleasant things to say about folks from Mass, even though Maine used to be part of Mass and both states actually celebrate Patriots day.)

And, what also was great is that I got to holler at some Sox fans when they started berating McCutchen. McCutchen was often only 80 - 100 feet from where we were sitting and at one point he turned to the fans who were deriding him and gave it right back to them. The section I was sitting in had about 125 fans, at least 10 of whom were Pirate fans, and the other Pirate fans also got on the case of the Sox fans who were heckling McCutchen. Some of the heckling Sox fans clearly had imbibed a bit too much, but no one got aggressive and everyone seemed to enjoy the generally good natured rivalry.

In the 7th, a female fan who likely had over-consumed, ran onto the fan past Mookie Betts in right and made it as far as right centerfield until security stopped her. My stepson told me that the Sox will now ban her from all future games.

As for the game itself ---

Great to see McCutchen hit the home runs in the first when he ran into what looked like a fastball. Unfortunately, that was it from McCutchen for the rest of the game.

Hard to believe that Rodriguez threw 43 pitches in the first and only gave up 2 runs (Cutch homer), and that he then survived unscathed into the 6th. That was not a good sign for the outcome of this game.

I am hoping that Marte was simply suffering from jet lag, but he didn't do anything with the bat and clearly should have caught the long fly from Ramirez. And, if he had made a slightly better throw to second on the ball that fell in front of him, the game could have had a better outcome.

Stated simply, Kuhl looked like a major league pitcher. Even though he was going through the line-up a third time in the 7th, I thought that he still looked good and I was disappointed to see him lifted.

The Sox fans behind me noted that Rivero was pitching in his 7th game of the season and that this was only the Pirates 9th game. Rivero looked good --- Hudson looked really bad and Nicassio's pitches didn't look crisp.

Nice to see Frazier come off the bench and get a hit when the Pirates needed one.

While Polanco taking third and then coming home on the errant throw was, at that moment a big play, the Bucs are getting thrown out on steal attempts so regularly that I'm not sure that the stolen base can really be considered an asset to the team.

I know for many fans that attending a major league ball game is something that you regularly get to do. For me, yesterday was a real treat. And while I like PNC more than Fenway, I must say that I enjoyed some of the Fenway experience more than my limited experiences (4 games) at PNC. Perhaps some of it was the novelty of having Pirate fans at Fenway, but so many Sox fans reached out to say --- Good to see you --- in one way or another that it helped make yesterday a very special day for me.

Last comment. I know that 9 games does not make a season, but if the current outfield alignment doesn't pick it up soon, the Pirates should revert to Marte in left, Cutch in center and Polanco in right. At present, all three often stink it up in their current position. Under last year's alignment, only Cutch was a detriment and Marte was a real plus in left.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Sounds like a great time MaineBucs
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Good post, Maine. I can't say I had the same experience the game I attended, but I loved the atmosphere. Most people were nice, but not really talking baseball. I started most conversations. Cute, drunk girl after the game was super nice and bought me a beer.

I wonder if Marte is getting exposed? I think it is too early to move him, but he will get more action in CF compared to LF.