Potential OF's Available to Fill RF til Polanco returns

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

4757566177777B140 wrote: Saw the dude on mlbtraderumors do predictions for the top 50 free agents and where they would land and for how much.  Martin Gonzalez to the Royals for 3 years at 9 million per.  Doesn't mean he will go for that, but if so, that is very doable for the Pirates.  Pittsburgh wasn't listed as the destination for any of them.

Jim Bowden over at The Athletic predicts 3/39 for Gonzalez.
notes34

Post by notes34 »

Other than positional versatility is Marwin Gonzalez really that good? He's had one really good year, and the rest have been pretty pedestrian. If he were brought in to cover for Polanco and as a super utility guy that would be ok. Spending 9M a year on a guy like that for the Pirates isn't the best idea IMO. They need a real offensive upgrade somewhere. I don't really care what position although I would like it to be in a corner IF spot.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

27263D2C3A7A7D490 wrote: Other than positional versatility is Marwin Gonzalez really that good? He's had one really good year, and the rest have been pretty pedestrian. If he were brought in to cover for Polanco and as a super utility guy that would be ok. Spending 9M a year on a guy like that for the Pirates isn't the best idea IMO. They need a real offensive upgrade somewhere. I don't really care what position although I would like it to be in a corner IF spot.

They spent 10.5 on Harrison. That turned out to be bad. Gonzo is more versatile than Harrison and has more power. If you can get him for 9, that is a bargain.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

We all know the Pirates will not break with their model and spend substantial money on a FA outfielder. Especially with Polanco due back in June. They may be forced to find a 2nd tier FA to play SS. RF will likely be some combination of Reyes, Luplow, Osuna and/or maybe a 2nd or 3rd tier FA until June. A few years ago they signed Matt Joyce as a backup outfielder. They may look for a similar type player. But Reyes performed so well last year that he might do a good job of holding down RF until Polanco returns. Putting Reyes and Frazier at the top of the lineup might give them a nice spark.
BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

I for one would not hesitate to check on Jon Jay or Curtis Granderson, Just my two cents...And Matt Joyce again as well!

Beat'em Bucs :D
notes34

Post by notes34 »

1202033422222E410 wrote: Other than positional versatility is Marwin Gonzalez really that good? He's had one really good year, and the rest have been pretty pedestrian. If he were brought in to cover for Polanco and as a super utility guy that would be ok. Spending 9M a year on a guy like that for the Pirates isn't the best idea IMO. They need a real offensive upgrade somewhere. I don't really care what position although I would like it to be in a corner IF spot.

They spent 10.5 on Harrison.  That turned out to be bad.  Gonzo is more versatile than Harrison and has more power.  If you can get him for 9, that is a bargain.
Really his .737 OPS and 103 OPS+ don't indicate that he is much better. He is a career .264/.318/.419 hitter. Not bad but not a difference maker. They need a difference maker especially with Polanco being out. I would rather spend that 9M somewhere else.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

2B2A3120367671450 wrote: Other than positional versatility is Marwin Gonzalez really that good? He's had one really good year, and the rest have been pretty pedestrian. If he were brought in to cover for Polanco and as a super utility guy that would be ok. Spending 9M a year on a guy like that for the Pirates isn't the best idea IMO. They need a real offensive upgrade somewhere. I don't really care what position although I would like it to be in a corner IF spot.

They spent 10.5 on Harrison.  That turned out to be bad.  Gonzo is more versatile than Harrison and has more power.  If you can get him for 9, that is a bargain.
Really his .737 OPS and 103 OPS+ don't indicate that he is much better. He is a career .264/.318/.419 hitter. Not bad but not a difference maker. They need a difference maker especially with Polanco being out. I would rather spend that 9M somewhere else.

What do you think you're going to get above that, though?
RichD

Post by RichD »

Lets go after Nelson Cruz he is a FA .Has been mostly a DH for the past few years but its not like he forgot how to play RF. The guy would solve our issues at clean up and the power is there.The guy still rakes and will turn 39 in july. Older well respected vet from the DR could help the young Polanco and Marte.
notes34

Post by notes34 »

172C262D01450 wrote: Lets go after Nelson Cruz he is a FA .Has been mostly a DH for the past few years but its not like he forgot how to play RF. The guy would solve our issues at clean up and the power is there.The guy still rakes and will turn 39 in july. Older well respected vet from the DR could help the young Polanco and Marte.
Cruz is expected to get a 2 year 30M contract. If we are dreaming I would rather spend 20M on 1 year of Donaldson.
BenM

Post by BenM »

It will be interesting to see the free agent market this year. Owner collusion restraint really drove down prices last spring. A lot of guys had to settle for less. So maybe the Bucs can find the outfield equivalent of Mike Moustakas, who signed a one year deal at $5.5 million with a million dollar buyout.