Potential OF's Available to Fill RF til Polanco returns

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Was thinking who are the available OF's this off-season. Here is the list pulled off MLB Page. Of the following OF's, who do other Pirate Fans think the Buccos will look at???

Age and WAR indicated per player

Left fielders

Michael Brantley (32 years old, 2.6 WAR)

Marwin Gonzalez (30, 1.3)

Curtis Granderson (38, 0.6)

Craig Gentry (35, 0.5)

Cameron Maybin (32, 0.4)

Matt Joyce (34, 0.1)

Gregor Blanco (35, -0.4)

Hunter Pence (36, -0.8)

Center fielders

Leonys Martin (31 years old, 2.5 WAR)

A.J. Pollock (31, 1.9)

Adam Jones (33, 0.6)

Rajai Davis (38, 0.3)

Austin Jackson (32, -0.3)

Right fielders

Bryce Harper (26 years old, 3.1 WAR)

Nick Markakis (35, 2.6)

Jason Heyward (29, 2.2) -- Can opt out of the five years and $106 million remaining on his contract.

Carlos Gonzalez (33, 1.9)

Andrew McCutchen (32, 1.8)

Jon Jay (33, 1.1)

Lonnie Chisenhall (30, 0.8)

Melky Cabrera (34, 0.4)

Jose Bautista (38, 0.4)

Carlos Gomez (33, -0.3)

Chris Young (35, -0.5)
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

credit to Rajai Davis for having such a long career. I assumed he'd be only a little more than a cup-of-coffee type guy.
BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Yep, and to think Dave Littlefield got Matt Morris! :D
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

13212D2D390B28212C292621400 wrote: credit to Rajai Davis for having such a long career.  I assumed he'd be only a little more than a cup-of-coffee type guy.

I saw him hit a triple against the Nats just about a couple weeks before he was dealt for Morris.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

The guy I would go for is Granderson. Lefty hitter who can play some defense. Since we hope Polanco can comeback in late May early June we do not need a guy to play the entire year there. So Granderson could become a 4th OF and maybe even at the 7/31 deadline be flipped for a prospect of some sort if Luplow develops to the 4th OF we need then.

But it will be hard to find one of them on the list that is worth a bag of balls who will sign a deal with the Bucs to be a 4th OF.
Quail

Post by Quail »

My guess is they'll kick the tires on Matt Joyce who's having a down year. No guarantees, but maybe an invite to Spring Training and the hope that he can show he's still got something left in the tank.
ScottinMass

Post by ScottinMass »

597D696164080 wrote: My guess is they'll kick the tires on Matt Joyce who's having a down year. No guarantees, but maybe an invite to Spring Training and the hope that he can show he's still got something left in the tank.
I would not waste money on Joyce. He's 34 now and having a terrible year. This could be it for him, why bother?

I mentioned it in a another thread a few weeks ago, but A.J. Pollock and Cargo are the 2 I would target.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

I like the idea of Cargo.

And honestly, name aside, I'd say McCutchen. Aside from being right handed, I think he actually fits the bill for what they need.
RichD

Post by RichD »

I dont want any of those guys. I take a chance on our young guys or another teams young guy. We need to find a bust out type of player not a busted up.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

1A212B200C480 wrote: I dont want any of those guys. I take a chance on our young guys or another teams young guy. We need to find a bust out type of player not a busted up.

I agree with this, actually. I know I said Cargo and McCutchen, but admittedly, if they are going to come in and produce 0.5 WAR or something like that, we can get that internally. What we really need to do is make a move like what the Brewers did in brining in Christian Yelich. IDK if there's a guy like that available this year or not, but if there is, NH should be all over that.