Quintana

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Quintana

Post by DemDog »

Been watching and reading all the discussion about trading for Quintana. How nice it would be for the Bucs to pickup this guy. Seems like a sure thing of success but we all know that might not come to fruition. But I take the chance anyway.

So I would not mind parting with Glasnow and Bell plus a couple other lower level prospects.

Glasnow could become a CY award winner, a #1 on the staff but that will be at least a couple years down the road. Quintana will lead the Bucs staff right now not a couple yrs down the road.

Bell, wonderful bat that he seems to have is a liability at 1B and OF from the defensive side of things. He is like Pedro but a better hitter overall and to me projects to be a much better with a team that can use him primarily as a DH and PT 1B-OF. He will develop some power according to the Bucs brain trust.

I would not trade Meadows, Keller of Newman. That are three guys who can replace Cutch, Glasnow (not Glasnow's ceiling) and Jordy in a year or two. Maybe some others can chime in on a couple B & C level prospects that can complete the deal.
Quail

Quintana

Post by Quail »

55486C6E60050 wrote: What if the Pirates centered the Quintana trade around Meadows and then signed McCutchen to a team friendly extension.  I know, that is a big assumption for him.  Something like a 4 year extension getting paid around $18-20 million a year.

What would people think about that?

I'd be fine with that. I'd be fine with trading Cutch (as part of a three-way trade) to get Quintana. What I wouldn't be fine with is trading both Meadows and Cutch. Gotta keep one of the two.
Ecbucs

Quintana

Post by Ecbucs »

4C717C7B6C6A712C2F261E0 wrote: I like the proposed deal, but after Nova, would be better off not getting Quintana?  Cole, Taillion, Nova, Kuhl and Glasnow might be good enough if everybody stays healthy and Glasnow develops. Other young guns provide some back-up.

I think those are pretty big ifs. I like the idea of trading Meadows and extending Cutch. that would require a bigger budget but it could be the money is there for something like that.

Would still have Kingham and Hutchison as back ups.
Bobster21

Quintana

Post by Bobster21 »

467B767166607B26252C140 wrote: I like the proposed deal, but after Nova, would be better off not getting Quintana?  Cole, Taillion, Nova, Kuhl and Glasnow might be good enough if everybody stays healthy and Glasnow develops. Other young guns provide some back-up.
I probably have a higher opinion of Kuhl and a lower one of Glasnow than a lot of folks. Kuhl had 14 starts and pitched badly in only 3 of them when he didn't go past the 3rd inning. In the other 11 starts, his ERA was 2.98. That, plus his impressive AA and AAA stats suggests he might become a consistently good pitcher. Glasnow has had control problems in the minors before a brief stint with the Pirates last year. And he was very hittable with the Bucs in a SSS. And he could not hold runners. He could become a monster. But I'm not counting on it. If they could get a good return on Glasnow because of his potential, I'd take it.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Quintana

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I agree with you, Bobster.

I really liked Kuhl last year and think he is a lock to start in the rotation. Nova takes some pressure off of him now. Quintana just bumps Hutchison from the rotation if he is acquired. Glasnow will be a Super 2 call up and start in Triple A.
notes34

Quintana

Post by notes34 »

I might be in the minority here but I would trade Meadows before Bell. We have a very good OF in place with no where for Meadows, unless Cutch is traded. Bell is very bad with the glove but his bat will keep him in the lineup at 1B. No one will care if he his hitting 25-30 HR's.
IABucFan

Quintana

Post by IABucFan »

6F6E7564723235010 wrote: I might be in the minority here but I would trade Meadows before Bell. We have a very good OF in place with no where for Meadows, unless Cutch is traded. Bell is very bad with the glove but his bat will keep him in the lineup at 1B. No one will care if he his hitting 25-30 HR's.

Hi Scott! It's me, Pedro!
notes34

Quintana

Post by notes34 »

1C1417203613343B550 wrote: I might be in the minority here but I would trade Meadows before Bell. We have a very good OF in place with no where for Meadows, unless Cutch is traded. Bell is very bad with the glove but his bat will keep him in the lineup at 1B. No one will care if he his hitting 25-30 HR's.Eww.

Hi Scott!  It's me, Pedro!

No. Just no. I said he is very bad. Not Pedro awful ;D
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Quintana

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

54554E5F49090E3A0 wrote: I might be in the minority here but I would trade Meadows before Bell. We have a very good OF in place with no where for Meadows, unless Cutch is traded. Bell is very bad with the glove but his bat will keep him in the lineup at 1B. No one will care if he his hitting 25-30 HR's.Eww.

Hi Scott!  It's me, Pedro!
No. Just no. I said he is very bad. Not Pedro awful ;D

Bell looked worse than Pedro last year at 1B. And he has had more time to learn the position. It will be interesting how he does on defense. But if he is hitting, no one will care and he will get the majority of the playing time.
Bobster21

Quintana

Post by Bobster21 »

353E363A3F3E256066112830393E3E7F323E510 wrote:

Bell looked worse than Pedro last year at 1B.
Totally disagree. Bell was bad. Generally because he appeared not to know what to do. Not because he was unable to catch the ball. Pedro simply had a very difficult time catching balls both hit and thrown to him. Bell needs to learn the position better. But Pedro just couldn't catch. Even pickoff throws went through him. Bell made 3 errors in 150 innings at 1B. That's an error every 50 innings. Pedro had 23 errors in 906 innings at 1B in 2015. That's roughly an error every 39 innings. When you play 1B and can't catch the ball, the errors occur far more frequently. Bell's defense was very disappointing because he had time to learn the position in AAA but didn't seem to know what he was doing. But I don't know how anyone could watch all those balls bounce off Pedro's glove and say Bell was worse.