Upcoming Rule 5 Draft

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

JollyRoger

Upcoming Rule 5 Draft

Post by JollyRoger »

It does not seem fair that a small market team such as the Pirates who have to build through the draft and develop their own players to try to be competitive can have that many players plucked from their system. There should be a limit
SyrBucco

Upcoming Rule 5 Draft

Post by SyrBucco »

There are two ways to look at this historical 12 player pillaging. One is to pat ourselves on the back for having such a deep system.

But the other is to wonder if we didn't protect the wrong 38 players. Without knowing who we put on the AAA roster, will we ever know?

Two losses especially annoyed me. Joelvis del Rosario, because I had him pegged as a rising star, and Jared Oliva, who was one of our best righty hitting outfielders.
Ecbucs

Upcoming Rule 5 Draft

Post by Ecbucs »

0D272C1C2B3D3D315E0 wrote: There are two ways to look at this historical 12 player pillaging. One is to pat ourselves on the back for having such a deep system.

But the other is to wonder if we didn't protect the wrong 38 players. Without knowing who we put on the AAA roster, will we ever know?

Two losses especially annoyed me. Joelvis del Rosario, because I had him pegged as a rising star,  and Jared Oliva, who was one of our best righty hitting outfielders.

to me the players taken in the minor league phase are more roster fillers.  It is even more rare for one of them to become a decent major league player than it is those taken in the Rule 5 MLB draft. 

However, there is still a hierarchy to the minor league portion where a team can protect players at AAA level (I am pretty sure this is the case) and yet the the Bucs still lost players.  It also shows that because of roster limits you can't just keep trading major league players for minor leaguers to restock the system.  Former Pirate Nick Burdi was drafted in the minor league draft today. The Pirates selected just two players and must think that they have most of their minor league spots set.
Bobster21

Upcoming Rule 5 Draft

Post by Bobster21 »

7B575F585374435545360 wrote: Actually, the Pirates had 11 players (almost half a roster/team of players) selected from their system in the minor league phase of the draft.   Some were players like Jared Oliva and Peter Solomon who have seen time in the majors, but most were folks who I am not familiar with, and who were not among the team's Top 30 prospects. 

Frankly, I view this as a sign that the Pirate farm system is improving, because team's, through the 3rd round of the minor league draft, decided the players in the Pirates' minor league system were worth taking a shot on. 
They lost pitchers:

Joelvis Del Rosario (Athletics)

Joe Jacques (Red Sox)

Wilkin Ramos (Mets)

Domingo Gonzalez (Braves)

Austin Roberts (Marlins)

Trey McGough (Orioles)

Enmanuel Mejia (Rays)

Cristian Charle (Marlins)

Peter Solomon (Diamondbacks)

infielder Yoyner Fajardo (Twins)

outfielder Jared Oliva (Angels)
UtahPirate

Upcoming Rule 5 Draft

Post by UtahPirate »

624843734452525E310 wrote: There are two ways to look at this historical 12 player pillaging. One is to pat ourselves on the back for having such a deep system.

Two losses especially annoyed me. Joelvis del Rosario, because I had him pegged as a rising star,  and Jared Oliva, who was one of our best righty hitting outfielders.

The odd thing is we only protected 31. Looks like a couple were probably keepers. I know I've followed McGough a bit - probably because I'm always hopeful we get some lefty starters to PNC - and he got injured and had TJ, but he was a solid starter and getting close to MLB ready. Rosario was the first guy taken and seemed to surprise many that we left him unprotected.

https://www.piratesprospects.com/2022/1 ... -kept.html
Ecbucs

Upcoming Rule 5 Draft

Post by Ecbucs »

7352474E764F54475243260 wrote: There are two ways to look at this historical 12 player pillaging. One is to pat ourselves on the back for having such a deep system.

The odd thing is we only protected 31. Looks like a couple were probably keepers. I know I've followed McGough a bit - probably because I'm always hopeful we get some lefty starters to PNC - and he got injured and had TJ, but he was a solid starter and getting close to MLB ready. Rosario was the first guy taken and seemed to surprise many that we left him unprotected.

not using the roster spots makes no sense to me.  I hope somebody asks the Pirates about that and reports the answer. 

I don't see that there is any benefit to having open roster spots at the AAA level. As far as I know (and counting on someone to correct me if I'm wrong) minor league roster spots mean nothing except for the purpose of this draft.
Bobster21

Upcoming Rule 5 Draft

Post by Bobster21 »

577170677161120 wrote: There are two ways to look at this historical 12 player pillaging. One is to pat ourselves on the back for having such a deep system.

not using the roster spots makes no sense to me.  I hope somebody asks the Pirates about that and reports the answer. 

I don't see that there is any benefit to having open roster spots at the AAA level.  As far as I know (and counting on someone to correct me if I'm wrong) minor league roster spots mean nothing except for the purpose of this draft. 
Per the PG:

Because the Pirates only chose to protect 31 players — Cherington said they wanted the open spots for minor league free agency and this portion of the Rule 5 draft — they rolled the dice in a second way, and it didn’t work out particularly well.

“We knew we were going to lose some guys,” Cherington said. “Didn’t anticipate 11. I’m sure we’ll have time to look back again and think about that and what it means going forward.”

It sounds like Cheringtion made a huge mistake.
Ecbucs

Upcoming Rule 5 Draft

Post by Ecbucs »

715C51404756410102330 wrote: There are two ways to look at this historical 12 player pillaging. One is to pat ourselves on the back for having such a deep system.

I don't see that there is any benefit to having open roster spots at the AAA level.  As far as I know (and counting on someone to correct me if I'm wrong) minor league roster spots mean nothing except for the purpose of this draft. 
Per the PG:

Because the Pirates only chose to protect 31 players — Cherington said they wanted the open spots for minor league free agency and this portion of the Rule 5 draft — they rolled the dice in a second way, and it didn’t work out particularly well.

“We knew we were going to lose some guys,” Cherington said. “Didn’t anticipate 11. I’m sure we’ll have time to look back again and think about that and what it means going forward.”

It sounds like Cheringtion made a huge mistake.

you should never lose a prospect (even if they are a suspect prospect) to have room for a minor league free agent.