Upcoming Rule 5 Draft

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Upcoming Rule 5 Draft

Post by fjk090852-7 »

The Pirates are about two months away from setting their roster prior to the December Rule 5 Draft. There are several players who are eligible to be added to the roster this offseason, but there is probably not room for all of them. Players such as E. Rodriguez, Bae,and Burrows are probably locks to be added. Players like, Nunez, Sabol, Gorski, and Triolo are other players to consider. It appears Luis Ortiz is joining the club in Cincinnati so he will already be on the roster in November. Some difficult decisions will have to be made by BC and his staff this offseason because we will probably lose a player or two in the draft, and hopefully we won’t look back, and say we once had that player in our System.
Ecbucs

Upcoming Rule 5 Draft

Post by Ecbucs »

I don't see the 40 man being a problem this off season.  Look at all the players on it that the Bucs got off waivers.

They may have a couple people who are left off and get picked but chances are they are going to be more filler type players than ever be major league regulars.

Here are some pitchers that most likely wouldn't be missed if their spots are needed:

Jeremy Beasley

Tyler Beede

Dillon Peters

Peter Solomon

Robert Stephenson

Eric Stout

Bryse Wilson

other pitchers

Max Kranick

Zach Thompson

Duane Underwood

Nick Mears

catchers who could lose roster spots

Zach Collins

Tyler Heineman

infielders

Hoy Park

maybe Castillo

outfielders

Greg Allen

Ben Gamel (by free agency)

depending on what the team thinks of them

Bligh Madris

Travis Swaggerty I think both will have roster spots this off season and get a chance next year.

The Bucs can probably get 10 roster spots painlessly.

Bobster21

Upcoming Rule 5 Draft

Post by Bobster21 »

I think if Bae was ever going to be on the MLB roster it would have happened this year. Most likely, his domestic violence baggage has made him persona non grata and he will not be protected.

Currently on the roster, Allen, Park, Ramirez, Stephenson, Beede, Underwood and either catcher could be DFA'd without batting an eye. Those wouldn't even be tough decisions.
fjk090852-7

Upcoming Rule 5 Draft

Post by fjk090852-7 »

There are several players who could easily be removed from the 40 man roster, but there are a few guys on the 60 day IL which must be added back onto the roster shortly after the season is over.
fjk090852-7

Upcoming Rule 5 Draft

Post by fjk090852-7 »

755855444352450506370 wrote: I think if Bae was ever going to be on the MLB roster it would have happened this year. Most likely, his domestic violence baggage has made him persona non grata and he will not be protected.

Currently on the roster, Allen, Park, Ramirez, Stephenson, Beede, Underwood and either catcher could be DFA'd without batting an eye. Those wouldn't even be tough decisions.
I understand the baggage for Bae, but rather him being taken in the Rule 5 Draft I wish they could trade him. You would think he would bring something back in a trade.
Bobster21

Upcoming Rule 5 Draft

Post by Bobster21 »

7C70712A232A222F28372D1A0 wrote: I think if Bae was ever going to be on the MLB roster it would have happened this year. Most likely, his domestic violence baggage has made him persona non grata and he will not be protected.

I understand the baggage for Bae, but rather him being taken in the Rule 5 Draft I wish they could trade him. You would think he would bring something back in a trade.
Wouldn't surprise me if they have already been trying to trade him. Barring that, they may hope to lose him in rule 5.
WildwoodDave2

Upcoming Rule 5 Draft

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

587578696E7F68282B1A0 wrote: I think if Bae was ever going to be on the MLB roster it would have happened this year. Most likely, his domestic violence baggage has made him persona non grata and he will not be protected.

I wish they would bring back JVM for one day so they could DFA

him again :D
MaineBucs

Upcoming Rule 5 Draft

Post by MaineBucs »

Bobster

Bae's conviction on assault charges are now 4+ years ago and his conviction and 30 game suspension from baseball is now 3+ years ago. I see where the Pirates initially signed him to a $1.2 million bonus, but that too is now almost ancient history.

Question --- If the Bucs are not interested in him because of his past assault conviction, why do you believe they have kept him around for another 3+ years?

Regardless, I do agree that it seems odd that he has not been recalled this year based on his production at AAA and his ability to play the outfield (I recognize that he was injured for a while in August).
Ecbucs

Upcoming Rule 5 Draft

Post by Ecbucs »

624E46414A6D5A4C5C2F0 wrote: Bobster

Bae's conviction on assault charges are now 4+ years ago and his conviction and 30 game suspension from baseball is now 3+ years ago.  I see where the Pirates initially signed him to a $1.2 million bonus, but that too is now almost ancient history.

Question --- If the Bucs are not interested in him because of his past assault conviction, why do you believe they have kept him around for another 3+ years? 

Regardless, I do agree that it seems odd that he has not been recalled this year based on his production at AAA and his ability to play the outfield (I recognize that he was injured for a while in August).

I think Atlanta paid Bae's bonus and the Bucs picked him up after he was released because of the domestic violence charge. That being said, unless he has done something else, I can't see the Pirates leaving him off the roster this winter.
UtahPirate

Upcoming Rule 5 Draft

Post by UtahPirate »

7B575F585374435545360 wrote: Bobster

Bae's conviction on assault charges are now 4+ years ago and his conviction and 30 game suspension from baseball is now 3+ years ago.  I see where the Pirates initially signed him to a $1.2 million bonus, but that too is now almost ancient history.

So an 18-year old who has grown up in a culture that has domestic abuse problems and history of extreme gender inequality issues can't be forgiven - or counseled - by his organization and be rehabilitated?

I don't get the view here about this charge lingering and affecting his reputation. This is not some 28 year old NFL lineman with domestic abuse problems. He was a kid and from any indications has acted properly ever since he was sentenced.

Perhaps the non-40 man move so far is part of his counseling program and an effort to keep him working towards certain goals and "in a straight line." He seems to be wearing down a bit, but he has hardly thrown in the towel because he hasn't been called up.

I would be hugely disappointed if the actions of an 18 year old would keep him off our roster 4 years later.