Quintana

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Aaron

Quintana

Post by Aaron »

6358525975310 wrote: Giving guys like Baurault , Duncan ,Williams another year in AAA to fill our rotation in 2018.
Ummm......
IABucFan

Quintana

Post by IABucFan »

1F3B2F27224E0 wrote: I believe there's a chance that a three team deal could land the Pirates Quintana. Trading Cutch to a third team (Mets for one have been rumored) for prospects that the White Sox covet  might allow the Pirates to hold onto Glasnow, Meadows and Bell in a potential deal.

Hypothetically, what might this look like? Here's an outside the box idea...again, I don't particularly like it

White Sox get: two "A" prospects, let's say Glasnow and someone from the Mets

Mets get: Jung Ho Kang and Cole Tucker

Pirates get: Jose Quintana

Again, hypothetical. But would you guys do Kang, Tucker, and Glasnow for Quintana? For my tastes, even with Kang quickly souring in Pittsburgh, that's too much. But what would the Mets be looking for in such a deal? It's clear the Sox want prospects, but the Mets are built to win right now, like us. They have a solid rotation and a weak lineup. I'm not enamored with their infield. But, their outfield is weak, too. So, swap out Kang and insert Polanco, but that changes the whole dynamics of the trade. Polanco is younger, cheaper, and under contract longer than Kang, and is arguably the better player right now. So, Polanco goes and Bucs keep Kang and Tucker?

Again, like I said above, I'd make a terrible, and I mean TERRIBLE GM. Too many moving parts to deal with on these trades. I like things cut and dry, black and white. Baseball trades are anything but. Of course, it complicates things that I don't really know the Mets or White Sox systems very well, or what they might be looking for in return. And the Mets are just one potential third team. Lots of teams might be interested in jumping in on this.
Ecbucs

Quintana

Post by Ecbucs »

131B182F391C3B345A0 wrote: I believe there's a chance that a three team deal could land the Pirates Quintana. Trading Cutch to a third team (Mets for one have been rumored) for prospects that the White Sox covet  might allow the Pirates to hold onto Glasnow, Meadows and Bell in a potential deal.

Hypothetically, what might this look like?  Here's an outside the box idea...again, I don't particularly like it

White Sox get:  two "A" prospects, let's say Glasnow and someone from the Mets

Mets get:  Jung Ho Kang and Cole Tucker

Pirates get:  Jose Quintana

Again, hypothetical.  But would you guys do Kang, Tucker, and Glasnow for Quintana?  For my tastes, even with Kang quickly souring in Pittsburgh, that's too much.  But what would the Mets be looking for in such a deal?  It's clear the Sox want prospects, but the Mets are built to win right now, like us.  They have a solid rotation and a weak lineup.  I'm not enamored with their infield.  But, their outfield is weak, too.  So, swap out Kang and insert Polanco, but that changes the whole dynamics of the trade.  Polanco is younger, cheaper, and under contract longer than Kang, and is arguably the better player right now.  So, Polanco goes and Bucs keep Kang and Tucker?

Again, like I said above, I'd make a terrible, and I mean TERRIBLE GM.  Too many moving parts to deal with on these trades.  I like things cut and dry, black and white.  Baseball trades are anything but.  Of course, it complicates things that I don't really know the Mets or White Sox systems very well, or what they might be looking for in return.  And the Mets are just one potential third team.  Lots of teams might be interested in jumping in on this.

I know Polanco has been mentioned but think he is too important to Bucs offense as a lefthanded hitter with power and speed.
IABucFan

Quintana

Post by IABucFan »

133534233525560 wrote: I believe there's a chance that a three team deal could land the Pirates Quintana. Trading Cutch to a third team (Mets for one have been rumored) for prospects that the White Sox covet  might allow the Pirates to hold onto Glasnow, Meadows and Bell in a potential deal.

Hypothetically, what might this look like?  Here's an outside the box idea...again, I don't particularly like it

White Sox get:  two "A" prospects, let's say Glasnow and someone from the Mets

Mets get:  Jung Ho Kang and Cole Tucker

Pirates get:  Jose Quintana

Again, hypothetical.  But would you guys do Kang, Tucker, and Glasnow for Quintana?  For my tastes, even with Kang quickly souring in Pittsburgh, that's too much.  But what would the Mets be looking for in such a deal?  It's clear the Sox want prospects, but the Mets are built to win right now, like us.  They have a solid rotation and a weak lineup.  I'm not enamored with their infield.  But, their outfield is weak, too.  So, swap out Kang and insert Polanco, but that changes the whole dynamics of the trade.  Polanco is younger, cheaper, and under contract longer than Kang, and is arguably the better player right now.  So, Polanco goes and Bucs keep Kang and Tucker?

Again, like I said above, I'd make a terrible, and I mean TERRIBLE GM.  Too many moving parts to deal with on these trades.  I like things cut and dry, black and white.  Baseball trades are anything but.  Of course, it complicates things that I don't really know the Mets or White Sox systems very well, or what they might be looking for in return.  And the Mets are just one potential third team.  Lots of teams might be interested in jumping in on this.

I know Polanco has been mentioned but think he is too important to Bucs offense as a lefthanded hitter with power and speed.

Agreed. I really think Polanco has a chance to be special. Quintana is good, but if they want Polanco, that's a deal breaker for me.
fjk090852-7

Quintana

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I would have no problem if they dealt Glasnow, Newman and a lesser prospect to get this deal done. I like Bell and Meadows, but I have this feeling that the Sox want one of them in order to complete this deal.
PMike

Quintana

Post by PMike »

Reading serious Pirates' fans and their take on this possibility is interesting. People are all over the board on who is untouchable and who is tradable. The suggestions on how good Quintana is and how much he is worth is all over the board.

These discussions are really fascinating. At this point, if a trade were to be completed, I really wonder who we'd give for him. I have my personal opinions, but it seems like everyone has different thoughts. No consensus about any players.

Side note, I can't find any legit sources that are indicating that there may be a three team trade possibility here. The reality is, it is unnecessary. The Pirates have the chips. It's all about how crazy the ask is from the White Sox. The third party only makes sense if you trade McCutchen which doesn't seem likely. That scenario would involve the Mets and they don't have the trade chips to the White Sox to work. This possibility only exists between the Pirates and White Sox.
PMike

Quintana

Post by PMike »

What if the Pirates centered the Quintana trade around Meadows and then signed McCutchen to a team friendly extension. I know, that is a big assumption for him. Something like a 4 year extension getting paid around $18-20 million a year.

What would people think about that?
SammyKhalifa

Quintana

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I'd like it. I know that we're supposed to be cold and emotionless when evaluating moves but it'd be nice just one time to have a "lifer" around.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Quintana

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

65785C5E50350 wrote: What if the Pirates centered the Quintana trade around Meadows and then signed McCutchen to a team friendly extension.  I know, that is a big assumption for him.  Something like a 4 year extension getting paid around $18-20 million a year.

What would people think about that?

I would love it. I think McCutchen is worth more, but we will see. If McCutchen was signed first, Meadows' stock would probably go down. If Meadows is traded first, McCutchen's price might go up.

I would love to keep McCutchen for his entire career. I know that is rare in today's game, but would be great for his reputation/image too. Then again, I don't blame him or any player for getting as much as they can on the market.
Roberto218

Quintana

Post by Roberto218 »

I like the proposed deal, but after Nova, would be better off not getting Quintana? Cole, Taillion, Nova, Kuhl and Glasnow might be good enough if everybody stays healthy and Glasnow develops. Other young guns provide some back-up.